Thread: Yamaha DTXPLORER or Alesis DM7 USB

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha DTXPLORER or Alesis DM7 USB

Hi guys, I am new to the electronic drum set. I recently got rid of my acoustic drums because they took up to much room and made to much noise. I decided to research some electronic drums. I am not looking to spend over $600. These two sets are $600 so I am going to go with one of these. I just can't decide which one to go with. I like the look of the Alesis but the Yamaha has some great reviews.

Have any of you played these and if so which one is better?

Any input would be much appreciated!! I have only been playing for a few years in case that matters.

THANKS,
    xMATTxMAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha DTXPLORER or Alesis DM7 USB

I have played the DTXplorer, both older and newer models and don't like the pads, feel awful for stick response - but they are a very versatile easy to position kit and it comes with decent quality stock sound files (usually). I haven't played the Alexis but I've heard good reviews and they look structurally sound.

Could I please throw into this the Roland HD1? Brilliant kit, good sound files, nice(r) feeling pads better stick response. Not very positionable but they compensate for this with everything else, or thats what I believe. Also, they are more compact than the others and theres usually ones on the Bay pre owned for below your $600 budget. Usually between $400-700 pre-owned.
    Last edited by Aaaidn; 05-20-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: USD not £

dave0549jv Guest

I've got a DTXplorer. I dont really have any experience with any other brands, but i can tell you that i've been happy with the yammie, and i'd reccomend it to anybody. It's particularly good if you have limited space, or need to move it around a lot. this thing folds up into a pretty compact little bundle. you can easily throw it in a closet if it gets in your way.

I've only had one minor problem with it in the past year. one of the leads crapped out, so i bought a $2 replacement off ebay, and it works just fine.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it! I was going back and forth between Yamaha and Alesis.

I actually ended up finding a great deal on the Alesis DM8 online for $615. The DM8 just released this year and usually goes for $700-$800 so I just had to jump on it when I found that deal.

I will let you guys know how the Alesis DM8 is when it comes Monday

Thanks again for the Help!!!
    xMattxMan

User Info Menu

Yeah, let us know. Even though I use a few DM5 modules myself, been wondering what the opinions with the DM7's and DM8's are.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8