Thread: How is this played?

User Info Menu

Default How is this played?

I am playing some Charley wilcoxon solos and have a question interpreting the writing. When there is a loop (like a curved line from roll to the next stroke). How would you play that? For example a 7 stroke roll starting on the & of 2. I currently am playing llrrll(&) and then the seventh stroke landing on the 1 of the next bar? It flows better when I play like that.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Default Re: How is this played?

I'm not quite following you. Can you post a picture/scan it?
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
    I'm not quite following you. Can you post a picture/scan it?
    Thanks, I will scan a pic and post

User Info Menu

Yeah scan it and we'll be able to give you an answer. Cheers.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

You are playing it right. A roll usually ends on a single stroke and that stroke is "tied" to the preceeding doubles. So the curved line you are talking about is the "tie". A seven stroke roll is indeed played as yo said llrrll_r or rrlrr_l(seven strokes altogether). In written drum music the tie symbol used for rolls should not be mistaken for the tie (same symbol) you use to elongate a note by the value of another note tied to it.

User Info Menu

I have taken a pic but not sure how to attach to the thread. There used to be an attachment option but cant seem to find it . Any one know how I can attach an image.. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trommler View Post
    You are playing it right. A roll usually ends on a single stroke and that stroke is "tied" to the preceeding doubles. So the curved line you are talking about is the "tie". A seven stroke roll is indeed played as yo said llrrll_r or rrlrr_l(seven strokes altogether). In written drum music the tie symbol used for rolls should not be mistaken for the tie (same symbol) you use to elongate a note by the value of another note tied to it.
    Thankyou. I am trying to attach a couple of images of the writing just to confirm but it sounds like you have worked out what I was trying to say haha.

If a 15stroke roll starts with a double flam ie(llR) and tied to the next bar. Would you start the 15 stroke from the flam? ie (llR)RllRRllRRll *tie* R

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trommler View Post
    Quite right. A tie is generally used when an open stroke roll is written with an eighth or quarter note and 2 or 3 slashes. The note "tied to" is the release (last) single note of the roll. When written with 16ths and single slashes to indicate open, doubled 32nd notes, the tie is usually left out.

Here's the one that has irritated me for decades...I've seen written many times in older scores a triple slashed quarter note that's not tied to the next note. WTH is that supposed to mean? Or the same thing with a rest following it. Technically that would be a roll with no release. Ugh. Thankfully, drum-corps style writing has imposed some standards recently.

User Info Menu

I've always hated rolls notated using ties. I prefer to see each note written out, with single slashes to note the double strokes.... I'm a corps/marching band guy, and that's how all my music has been written...and I like it that way. =]
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

From ShaneRoney:Here's the one that has irritated me for decades...I've seen written many times in older scores a triple slashed quarter note that's not tied to the next note. WTH is that supposed to mean? Or the same thing with a rest following it. Technically that would be a roll with no release. Ugh. Thankfully, drum-corps style writing has imposed some standards recently.

Yeah, agree with you on that one, that would confuse me too. You would need at least some note tied for a "release" after that roll.

From Livewire: If a 15stroke roll starts with a double flam ie(llR) and tied to the next bar. Would you start the 15 stroke from the flam? ie (llR)RllRRllRRll *tie* R

A double flam is really l/R, r/L (if you alternate your flams). What you'd have with (llR) is really a left-hand lead drag (some might call it a ruff), if you're thinking of the first three strokes as being that...llR. Really, what you should think of when playing a 15 stroke roll, is 7 even doubles or pairs of strokes, with the last single stroke being the R that would be at the end of the tie. That is, with the left hand start....llrrllrrllrrllR.

User Info Menu

From Livewire: If a 15stroke roll starts with a double flam ie(llR) and tied to the next bar. Would you start the 15 stroke from the flam? ie (llR)RllRRllRRll *tie* R

A double flam is really l/R, r/L (if you alternate your flams). What you'd have with (llR) is really a left-hand lead drag (some might call it a ruff), if you're thinking of the first three strokes as being that...llR. Really, what you should think of when playing a 15 stroke roll, is 7 even doubles or pairs of strokes, with the last single stroke being the R that would be at the end of the tie. That is, with the left hand start....llrrllrrllrrllR.[/QUOTE]

Perfect, that's how i am playing it. thanks! And thanks for the clarification on llr drag/ruff

User Info Menu

No problems amigo.....glad I'm here to help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Quite right. A tie is generally used when an open stroke roll is written with an eighth or quarter note and 2 or 3 slashes. The note "tied to" is the release (last) single note of the roll. When written with 16ths and single slashes to indicate open, doubled 32nd notes, the tie is usually left out.

Here's the one that has irritated me for decades...I've seen written many times in older scores a triple slashed quarter note that's not tied to the next note. WTH is that supposed to mean? Or the same thing with a rest following it. Technically that would be a roll with no release. Ugh. Thankfully, drum-corps style writing has imposed some standards recently.
    Each slash halves the duration of the note, and doubles the note value. So a single slash on a quarter means two eighths. Two Slashes on a quarter make 4 sixteenths. Three Slashes make 32nds. Technically what you are describing, you would play the very last 32nd just after the "a". I would play this as a 7 stroke roll that would release on the "a", unaccented. I would not play that last 32nd.

The irritating thing that gets me is when you see 3 slashes on an eighth note. I know they mean a 5 stroke role (or sometimes a 7), but technically, they wrote an 8 or 9 stroke roll with a 64th note pulse.

@Livewire
    I believe the interpretation is supposed to be a 7 stroke roll llrrllR with a 16th note triplet pulse when you take out the diddles. It is hard to be sure without seeing it.

Tan

User Info Menu

LW, while you were away, we had an issue of too many pics being uploaded to the server through the "manage attachments" option. It nearly crashed the server. As a result, we have gone back to the way it was when I first got here: upload pics to a photohosting site like Photobucket, and then paste the link to your post.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SnareTan View Post
    The irritating thing that gets me is when you see 3 slashes on an eighth note. I know they mean a 5 stroke role (or sometimes a 7), but technically, they wrote an 8 or 9 stroke roll with a 64th note pulse.
    These days I always use single slashed 16ths for open stroke roll notation. I've gotten all my kids used to that and it's by far the clearest method. The problems arise when they go to concert season and get charts written by wind players that can't bother to learn the proper notation.