Thread: Looking for an electric kit

User Info Menu

Default Looking for an electric kit

Hey guys, I'm looking to spend probably about 500-700 on an electric kit

The DM10 looks good value for what you get, but I'm looking for some honest reviews of it, and some other kits

What do you guys have?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for an electric kit

IMHO i am not a fan of the DM10 in the slightest. Everyone seems to think that because the pads use real drum heads it will feel close to what an acoustic kit would - WRONG!

If you want a kit that will stand the test of time and hold it's value i would look at anything you can afford by Yamaha or Roland, a second hand TD8 should be within your budget.

Personally i prefer standard rubber DTXPlorer pads to the DM10's and that's saying a lot.

MikeTheDrums

User Info Menu

Alesis products in general are oriented around value priced shoppers. They do pack a lot into their kits, but the features aren't always 'well executed' per se. For example, the dm5 had problems with memory loss and powering on. Some of the pads don't feel right, so I wouldn't say the dm10 uses real drumheads at all. More like a less expensive material they throw on them to keep costs down, likely a plastic vs a mylar. Mesh and rubber are the two best you can get; rubber has durability but very little rebound whereas mesh is vice versa. The dm10 module has various digital sounds, but the fact that you can import new ones from a computer more than makes up for this, and makes it a big competitor. Be prepared to mess with the settings a bit if you get one, as you'd expect to do with any e-kit out there.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've an early model DM5 kit, but I had to do a number of modifications with the rack and hi-hat pedal. Replaced all the rubber cymbals with Alesis Surge Cymbals, which certainly give a much better feel. One thing with the DM5 module too, is the fact that unless you get an Alesis I/O unit MIDI'ed to it, you wont get dual triggering...which is what you would need to have if you want to have a snare pad which can have both the full snare sound as well as the crosstick on the rim sound. I'm not sure if the DM10 supports this feature, but that's what I've got to do if I want to connect a Roland snare pad to the DM5. Also, those Alesis kick pads don't feel right, whereas something like the Roland TD-20 kick pad has a way better feel. To get that "sinking into a bass drumhead" feel with the Alesis pad, you'd need to tune the head way down without the head being too loose, then probably fix one or two layers of rubber pad or drum "sound-off" material to approximate the same feel, otherwise it's like trying to hit a snare drum with a mallet with your foot. But the Surge Cymbals? Yeah, they feel pretty good....if I had a Roland TD-20 kit....I'd still replace the Roland cymbals with Surge ones for sure.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-25-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

When talking about the DM10 it's important to be very clear about two things.
    First, the DM10 module is good stuff. Second, the DM10 hardware is doo-doo. Alesis has made a very good drum module but has cut significant corners when it comes to hardware in order to keep costs down. I absolutely hate Alesis hardware. I think the entire kit is only like $200 more than the module by itself; that should tell you something of it's quality.

As for the real heads, Alesis does in fact use real mylar heads. You can also switch them out with any other drum head. The problem is that it still doesn't feel like a real drum because of the all triggering components underneath the head. It kills the feel. Also, using the real heads creates significant acoustic noise when compared to rubber or mesh.

Ultimately I recommend Yamaha products first because they are always less expensive than their Roland equivalents while providing the same level of quality (if not better). Roland also makes top notch gear but you will be paying for the name. Alesis comes in third because the DM10 module is good but the hardware sucks. If you're going with Alesis, don't look at anything outside of the DM10. The other stuff is terrible modules coupled with terrible hardware. The DM5 isn't bad but it's pretty old at this point (the DM10 is it's upgrade).
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    When talking about the DM10 it's important to be very clear about two things.
    First, the DM10 module is good stuff. Second, the DM10 hardware is doo-doo. Alesis has made a very good drum module but has cut significant corners when it comes to hardware in order to keep costs down. I absolutely hate Alesis hardware. I think the entire kit is only like $200 more than the module by itself; that should tell you something of it's quality.

As for the real heads, Alesis does in fact use real mylar heads. You can also switch them out with any other drum head. The problem is that it still doesn't feel like a real drum because of the all triggering components underneath the head. It kills the feel. Also, using the real heads creates significant acoustic noise when compared to rubber or mesh.

Ultimately I recommend Yamaha products first because they are always less expensive than their Roland equivalents while providing the same level of quality (if not better). Roland also makes top notch gear but you will be paying for the name. Alesis comes in third because the DM10 module is good but the hardware sucks. If you're going with Alesis, don't look at anything outside of the DM10. The other stuff is terrible modules coupled with terrible hardware. The DM5 isn't bad but it's pretty old at this point (the DM10 is it's upgrade).
    Very well summed up. I whole heartedly agree with what you have said about hardware. the problem is that most people who buy alesis are expecting the world and this is not going to happen.

Have you also noticed that the DM10 brain is identical to the Pearl ePro brain!? it has just been sprayed red and given a shiny silver knob!
    MikeTheDrums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheDrums View Post
    Very well summed up. I whole heartedly agree with what you have said about hardware. the problem is that most people who buy alesis are expecting the world and this is not going to happen.

Have you also noticed that the DM10 brain is identical to the Pearl ePro brain!? it has just been sprayed red and given a shiny silver knob!
    Alesis caters to the crowd who wants to get into e-kits but doesn't want to shell out serious cash, so they get a lot of the first-time buyers. I've yet to meet someone who has "upgraded" to Alesis. LOL! Not saying they don't have some gems — the DM5 has been a great module for YEARS and the DM10 is good as well — but the majority of their stuff is just horrible. The hardware on any of their of kits is pitiful when compared to Roland and Yamaha (in my opinion).

As for the ePro, it's widely known that the module on that kit is just a rebranded DM10. The only thing the ePro really brings to the table are those pads that you can drop right into a regular drum shell. A lot of people seem to hate them but I actually found them very comfortable. I'd buy just the pads if they sold them separately. I have no interest in the Pearl drumset, rack, or module. They'd be smart to start selling just the pads.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^