Thread: Looking for a Guiro

User Info Menu

Default Looking for a Guiro

Looking for a nice guiro. I've been thinking of the Meinl Plastic Guiro or the LP Guiro.

Any recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for a Guiro

Personally never liked the plastic ones, but that's just me,
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Looking for a Guiro

Have you had a chance to play both of them? It seems to me the wood (or gourd, actually) guiro would have a different sound than the plastic one--and I play a gourd guiro myself--but if you're a player who drops the bongos to pick up the cowbell, guiro, or what have you, the plastic might be more durable. So play and listen before you decide, bro'...and have fun doin' it! "ok"
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I too prefer the sound of wood over plastic.

Good to see ya posting again red.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

If you'r playing in a loud band, the plastic ones do cut through a bit more....however the sound isn't quite the same as a real wood one. I've also seen something that's a combination of a metal guiro and a shaker at one of my local stores.....dunno, might be some sort of Brazilian thing. Any one seen that before?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

LP sells that shaker/guiro combo. Great shaker but poor guiro. I personally think the traditional gourd guiro is the best for tone.

There are many different types of gourd guiros. I like the fine grooved that gives a nice scratching sound but the deep and wide grooved is a guiro of a different flavor of tone that is dry.

Enjoy the hunt for the sound!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can get to somewhere that has some I can try out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I too prefer the sound of wood over plastic.

Good to see ya posting again red.
    Yeah, I've been missing for a while, work has been crazy! But...I'm back!!

User Info Menu

Meinl FIBERGLASS guiro is the best ! the fiberglass resist cracking as plastic does, the grooves of the Meinl fiberglass guiro are easier to play since the shape of each groove is beveled to not create a lot of friction so you can play longer & faster w/o fatigue. The guiro has rubber grommet on finger & thumb hols & at their tone hole...but I prefer to remove these because rubber has lots of friction which causes blisters or discomfort. I use an adhesive cloth patch placed where my finger & thumb contact the guiro. All the plastic guiros have a distinct plastic sound compared to natural guiros which each one has its unique sound. I do like the fiberglass guiro sound over plastic. I have seen plastic guiros crack when dropped...but fiberglass is laminated & stronger to resist cracking. They are strong but still u need a protective case ! I recommend 2 nd hand store ~ find wine bottle carry cases to use as gig bags. I prefer a case made for underwater divers fins that has shoulder strap & a added utility pocket. I lined this case w/ a Tupperware case used to protect a loaf of bread. The guiro fits in it, and it goes into the divers swim fin case. Now I still have room for some timbale sticks, claves & even a pair of maracas & I can hang this case / gig bag on timbale or cymbal stands etc.

User Info Menu

Thanks Ernersto, I went for your recommendation in the end and got the Meinl fibreglass guiro. I liked the idea of having something quite durable to take to gigs etc.

It arrived yesterday, unfortunately without the plastic scraper. The shop is going to send me another one in the post so I will let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

User Info Menu

Great tips too Ernesto!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I am also looking at a fibreglass guiro. Do you love the sound of yours? I was thinking either the Meinl or Pearl.

Pearl makes a fibreglass guiro with a metal plate on one side, for the merengue. Has anyone had any experience with this Pearl guiro in particular? My only concern is that it looks a bit shorter than the Meinl.

Another question. I am looking for a way to mount the guiro to the side of my timbales. I can get a really nice groove going playing the cha-cha bell with my foot, left hand on congas and right hand on the guiro. Has anyone had any success in doing this? As of right now I am thinking of going with the Pearl guiro holder, but just not sure if it will attach to the timbale lug. It specifically mentions compatability with 3/8" rods or conga lugs.

User Info Menu

Here's a pic...

User Info Menu

Sorry I've taken a month to get back to you, been really busy! The sound of the fibreglass guiro is bright as I think someone had mentioned earlier but it does cut through a band very well. I also don't have to worry too much about it getting damaged as it is pretty strong. I may pick up a wood guiro to keep at the studio for recording though.

But I need to learn to play this one first!!

Quote Originally Posted by Droadcman View Post
    I am also looking at a fibreglass guiro. Do you love the sound of yours? I was thinking either the Meinl or Pearl.

Pearl makes a fibreglass guiro with a metal plate on one side, for the merengue. Has anyone had any experience with this Pearl guiro in particular? My only concern is that it looks a bit shorter than the Meinl.

Another question. I am looking for a way to mount the guiro to the side of my timbales. I can get a really nice groove going playing the cha-cha bell with my foot, left hand on congas and right hand on the guiro. Has anyone had any success in doing this? As of right now I am thinking of going with the Pearl guiro holder, but just not sure if it will attach to the timbale lug. It specifically mentions compatability with 3/8" rods or conga lugs.