Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tunning acrylic drums?

User Info Menu

Question tunning acrylic drums?

Just wondering how other players approach acrylic drums with tunning and head choice's

User Info Menu

Default Re: tunning acrylic drums?

Clear CS (black dots)
    if you go on youtube, there is a video explaining Bonhams tuning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Clear CS (black dots)
    if you go on youtube, there is a video explaining Bonhams tuning.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3QWwGBhBs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3QWwGBhBs&feature=related[/ame]

User Info Menu

not really the sound im after
    Last edited by itchie; 05-26-2011 at 06:27 AM.

User Info Menu

i want this sound ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_7W-TDnu8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Drum licks‬‏[/ame]

User Info Menu

He's using a clear Aquarian superkick 1 or 2, with a pillow for bass. For snare/toms it looks like coated 1 or 2 ply heads, probably Remo's, with cast hoops at a medium tuning.
    Last edited by Russ; 05-27-2011 at 05:45 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i spent a good hour re-seating the stock heads before a gig last night..

turned out pritty good

User Info Menu

Acrylic drums can be a nightmare to tune. I had a set of late 70's Vistalites that I just loved to look at, but compared to tuning a set of wood drums, it took a bit of getting used too. A much brighter sound, in fact, I didn't use the snare because no matter how low I tried to tune it, it was so bright that it almost overwhelmed the whole kit. Back then, we didn't have the selection of heads to choose from that you have today. They came with the Remo Emperors Black Dot heads, and then you still had to use the muffler and some type of cloth strip to calm them down. But when you did get them dialed in, WOW! Still get goosebumps thinking about that sound.

User Info Menu

In the video they have alot of overtones especially the snare. Is this realy the way that those drums sounded when Bonham played them. Maybe the music from the other instruments buried that sound. I am a Led fan but don't recall all those overtones.Those heads sure sound tight too. Just wondering.

User Info Menu

In the video they have alot of overtones especially the snare. Is this realy the way that those drums sounded when Bonham played them. Maybe the music from the other instruments buried that sound. I am a Led fan but don't recall all those overtones.Those heads sure sound tight too. Just wondering.
    Bonham was known to tune his heads pretty tight.

User Info Menu

It's really amazing how different drums sound when you hear them from different perspectives. With or without a band makes a hugh difference, just as the difference from behind the kit as to 30 feet in front of it. All sort of stuff goes into recording drums to get a particular sound. Have you ever heard anyone else play your kit and listen to it from out it front? If you havn't, give it a try. You might just be surprised.

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfMh-bW6y-I&NR=1"]YouTube - ‪LUDWIG Zepset Vistalite 1/2 John Bonham Kit com Mike Maeda‬‏[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucPCu3vPEIc&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪LUDWIG Zepset Vistalite 2/2 John Bonham Kit com Mike Maeda‬‏[/ame]

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkIaYsx_cgI&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪John Bonham Amber Vistalite drum sound trial # 2 Bruce McGregor‬‏[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzTo0lM5nE&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Bruce McGregor's Tribute to "John Bonham" - Immigrant song.‬‏[/ame]

User Info Menu

Might be an idea to make a vid of my kit … then we can go from there … my kick snare and rack Tom sound great but my floor toms are a bit wonky

User Info Menu

ok........ no more John Bonham vids please

5 is enough
    Last edited by itchie; 05-27-2011 at 03:56 AM.

User Info Menu

I have found that a deader head combination works better the deeper the shell diameter. The problem is not deadening too much, because acrylic is a bright and dry shell as it is. Also, any dampening you apply is readily noticeable under a stage light- these things are like x-rays. Have you tried pinstripe batters?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

how about shell thickness?

User Info Menu

I guess it comes down to why you bought the acrylics. Did you buy them for that classic wide open louder then a mofo sound, or did you purchase just for the look alone?

User Info Menu

no offense NR but your attitude stinks and your views are totally narrow minded

and questioning my motive for playing this kit? .... i love this kit!

iv found about 7 different setups and they all sound different ....you cant play your open big band sound

im going to play modern sounding drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    no offense NR but your attitude stinks and your views are totally narrow minded

and questioning my motive for playing this kit? .... i love this kit!

iv found about 7 different setups and they all sound different ....you cant play your open big band sound

im going to play modern sounding drums
    Youre completely missing the point of my question and over reacting.

User Info Menu

Itch, try tuning low and pitch matching your heads. That's about all the advise I can really give without actually attempting to tune your drums, sorry. I know you've probably tried bob gatzen's tuning techniques. Try about 3/4 of a turn over "lowest possible pitch," as you'll likely need all the thump you can get with acrylic.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

All good now … spend a good 3 hours tunning and listening back in the studio … got a thumpy fattarse sound

User Info Menu

All good now … spend a good 3 hours tunning and listening back in the studio … got a thumpy fattarse sound
    How? What dampening device or if any did you use? Studio eh? Care to share what mics you used to get the thumpy fattarse sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    How? What dampening device or if any did you use? Studio eh? Care to share what mics you used to get the thumpy fattarse sound?
    open tunning but with 1 gaffa ball on the res head to stop the extended droning

good old sm57's for the mics....phase shift on the res mic
    Last edited by itchie; 06-01-2011 at 02:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Just wondering how other players approach acrylic drums with tunning and head choice's

I added several drums to my set a while ago, 3 are acrylic, 1 is a Accent.

My regular set is a early 70's Ludwigs. When I tune them, I treat the newer drums the same as I treat the older ones, and I have no problem tuning them.

As for the "Bonham" sound. Having been out and around in those days, I can say that a lot of drummers that I met, even those that were Bonham fans, didn't necessarily want his sound. I saw Zep when he was alive and his drums didn't sound that great.

Anyway, treat your set like you would any other, put the heads on and tune them .