Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on these cymbals please!

User Info Menu

Default Opinion on these cymbals please!

Hi, I need cymbals for my kit. These are on ebay buy it now for $99 plus $25 shipping. what do you guys think? Here's what is says, this is a power seller with 100% positive feedback:

This is a BRAND NEW Zildjian Planet Z Cymbal Pack from edge percussion
    List Price: $212.00
    Savings: $112.01

The set includes:

2 x 14" hi-hat cymbals
    1 x 16" crash cymbal
    1 x 20" ride cymbal

Genuine Zildjian quality cymbals forged in a zinc and copper alloy

It goes off in 11 hours. Unless someone tells me these are junk I am gonna buy 'em. I am a beginner and don't plan to play out or anything. Thanks very much!

User Info Menu

Hey drummina,

I seriously suggest the Wuhan S series pack instead, you will honestly get a better sound, and better price and they are also much more dependable, I have a 16" S series crash and I love it more than my A custom, just my opinion.

http://www.music123.com/Wuhan-S-Seri...k-i81573.music

or the traditionals
    http://www.music123.com/Wuhan-Wester...k-i81575.music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Hey drummina,

I seriously suggest the Wuhan S series pack instead, you will honestly get a better sound, and better price and they are also much more dependable, I have a 16" S series crash and I love it more than my A custom, just my opinion.

http://www.music123.com/Wuhan-S-Seri...k-i81573.music

or the traditionals
    http://www.music123.com/Wuhan-Wester...k-i81575.music
    Hey, DDB, tell me more about Wuhan cymbals. I had read that they are thinner, and so could crack under "normal" playing conditions. Since you've obviously been happy with them, maybe you could give a little more of your experience with them. Might be a good education for us all.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Look at the name, Zildjian....
    There is nothing wrong with those Zildjian cymbals, and they are going cheap, I started with way worse, and thing is, you can upgrade as and when you see fit with them. I'd buy them.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Hey, DDB, tell me more about Wuhan cymbals. I had read that they are thinner, and so could crack under "normal" playing conditions. Since you've obviously been happy with them, maybe you could give a little more of your experience with them. Might be a good education for us all.

Thanks.
    Well again I have the 16" Medium thin Wuhan S series, I serious hit them hard and the cymbal has help up every bit as good as my almost $200 A custom and I only paid $45 for my wuhan. The sound is almost Identical as my A custom, they look awesome(although I take the label off, way to big for my liking), I truly feel that these cymbals are far superior over the cheaper line of zildjians, I had ZBT's and dented the heck out of them, I thought they sounded very bad and tingy, and the planet Z are no differant. I woulds not think twice about the S series or Traditionals there awesome and far better than the lower line zildjians IN MY OPINION.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986
    Look at the name, Zildjian....
    There is nothing wrong with those Zildjian cymbals, and they are going cheap, I started with way worse, and thing is, you can upgrade as and when you see fit with them. I'd buy them.
    Man I love Zildjian, but the lower line zildjian are horrible, they are way soft and sound horrible, I feel that the Wuhans are far superior over the low line zildjian and they cost less and will last MUCH longer and sound WAY BETTER, just my opinion and I am stickin to it lol.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sorting that out for me, DDB. I have to confess that I have Zildjian's ZBT cymbals. At the time I got them, I didn't know any better. I thought that the were Zildjians and so would be OK. I was trying to get away from the beginner cymbal thing. Upgraded immediately because I couldn't bear the thought of putting a stick to the cheap cymbals. It would have taken the fun out of it for me.

I'll have to get to a store that has the Wuhans so that I can hear them. I actually like going in with my sticks in hand. Makes me feel like I have some idea of what I'm doing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Thanks for sorting that out for me, DDB. I have to confess that I have Zildjian's ZBT cymbals. At the time I got them, I didn't know any better. I thought that the were Zildjians and so would be OK. I was trying to get away from the beginner cymbal thing. Upgraded immediately because I couldn't bear the thought of putting a stick to the cheap cymbals. It would have taken the fun out of it for me.

I'll have to get to a store that has the Wuhans so that I can hear them. I actually like going in with my sticks in hand. Makes me feel like I have some idea of what I'm doing!
    Excellant idea, you can also check out my new videos, cause it is in there, it is the crash on my right side above my ride cymbal, you will immediatly be able to tell they sound awesome.

User Info Menu

planet z is like their off-brand...don't buy those...go with the wuhans...
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Hmm, ok. I don't want the off-brand. The thing is, I don't have cash, but I have gobs of money in my paypal account. So, I will look for the Wuhans on ebay. Are the Wuhans sturdy, do they take a lot of banging? I am a banger and and smasher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    Hmm, ok. I don't want the off-brand. The thing is, I don't have cash, but I have gobs of money in my paypal account. So, I will look for the Wuhans on ebay. Are the Wuhans sturdy, do they take a lot of banging? I am a banger and and smasher.
    Drummina if you follow the links I provided Music123 takes paypal, so you can buy them there, that is were I got mine.

User Info Menu

I just looked, of course there are no Wuhan S series sets on ebay, except one for $245.00, over $100 bucks more than ddrumbums's link above. Grrr. Any other ideas of what NOT to get you guys? I thought I would be safe with Zilldjians....

User Info Menu

What? They take Paypal????? Do you recommend the S series or the traditional? I would give up a little sound for somthing more sturdy.
    Last edited by Drummina; 05-28-2007 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

What? They take Paypal????? Do you recommend the S series or the traditional? I would give up a little sound for somthing more sturdy.
    I personnelly recommend the S series, but they are both very good cymbals, basically the s series is a zildjian A custom and the traditional is the avedis zildjian line, both very good. I also recommend the thinner cymbals.

BTW drummina watch my videos I hit them very hard, and they have no marking to show, they are very tough.

User Info Menu

OK Kevin, I am gonna follow your advice, thanks a lot for your help.

User Info Menu

Dang, they are out of stock. I wonder how long I will have to wait. I am using a pie tin for a hi-hat as we speak...

User Info Menu

Dang, they are out of stock. I wonder how long I will have to wait. I am using a pie tin for a hi-hat as we speak...

Just order them individually, they usually always have them that way.

User Info Menu

Drummina HECK YES get the sizes you want, I recommend the heavy 22" ride if they have it, 18" medium crash, 16" medium thin crash, and 13" hats.

User Info Menu

Drummina, take ddrums advice. A pie tin is about the equivilent of the Planet Z's, just without the logo. Stay away from Paiste PST-3 or PST-5 cymbal packs also. In your situation, Wuhan is probably the best way to go.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Planet Z is terrible, its low end brass, zildjian dosnt even claim them, no where does it say anything about planet Z on their site, and the box for the planet Z says nothing about zildjian

If your strapped with cash, yes, try wuhan

User Info Menu

You guys, thank you so much, I am just a babe in the woods and anyone could just take me for a ride. Everything is sold out or on back order at the site ddrumbum gave me, so I am gonna go to Guitar Center and see what they have. Knowing what NOT to get is really very helpful. Thank you so much for your help and sharing your experience with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    I personnelly recommend the S series, but they are both very good cymbals, basically the s series is a zildjian A custom and the traditional is the avedis zildjian line, both very good. I also recommend the thinner cymbals.

BTW drummina watch my videos I hit them very hard, and they have no marking to show, they are very tough.
    bro, i love ya and all.... but the next time you try to seriously compare a wuhan s series crash to zildjian a customs i will fart in your general direction.

User Info Menu

Yeah Kev you derty american pigdog!

User Info Menu

I wouldnt touch them. Pay an extra 100 or two and get theZBT's Much better quality for stuff all price really. I would say that religiously. I have had the oportunity just to get a drum kit togetther to practice and i have held out.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    bro, i love ya and all.... but the next time you try to seriously compare a wuhan s series crash to zildjian a customs i will fart in your general direction.
    LOL, understand for the price they are far better than those junk ZBT's or other low end cymbals, and funky seriously man they sound or at least my 16" medium thin S series sound VERY similar to my A custom.