Thread: Drumming to music.

User Info Menu

Default Drumming to music.

hey guys. I seem to have developed a habbit while drumming on my knees while listening to the music around me. When i drum to music, i seem to want to drum to the Singers voice, rather then the other instruments in the band.
    so for example, if the singer does this with his voice, "do do .. do" my foot will want to go, "Bang bang .. Bang", is this something that eveyone goes through? how nasty is this habbit

User Info Menu

when you write music. there isnt vocals for a while in the song. If u can play alright to that i dont see what could go wrong unles su cant keep what you wrote right when the singer does sing.

Alternativly for 50$... or a good limewire program would get you "GuitarPro" Get this with a laptop(or computer near your kit) and some good headies mute the vocals and drums and play to the song (metranome available:>)

Its what i wanna do when i get my kit. I got the laptop headies and program :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I can honestly say i have never had this problem, when I listen to music, I listen to the music side of it! I am never too concerned about the lyrics really, So i drum to the Bass. You are supposed to listen to the Bass notes you know. Thats how you get a good catchy drum beat going. Try that the next time.

focus........on.........the.........bass.......... .... OOOOooooooOOOOHHHHhhhhH
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Tune your imaginary bass drum into the bass guitar. This is the best habit.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Chad from red hot chili peppers keeps to the bass.... Only has a single kick to keep up with flea too!
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Chad from red hot chili peppers keeps to the bass.... Only has a single kick to keep up with flea too!
    Yeah, but the drummer doesn't always play exactly every bass note either.

The general rule is the kick and bass guitar should be in sync. That doesn't have to mean they play the same thing, but they should work in tandem, as in they should compliment each other. However that being said, if you find your foot following the vocals (i'm not too sure if I actually understand what you mean here), then that doesn't necasarily have to be something bad. Maybe that's your style. If your playing someone elses song, then really you should be listening to the drums, not the bass, guitar or singer, the drums, because that is the part you are planning on playing. If you are playing along with a band that's making stuff up, then you listen to the whole lot, because everyone needs to compliment each other. As long as what you are playing compliments the rest of the music, and allows the support that is needed, as far as rhythm and timing are concerned, then it is kind of irrelevant what particular instrument (and I include vocals in that) your foot follows.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say its irrelevant really, The drummer should always into the bass guitar really, It just doesn't sound right otherwise!!!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986
    I wouldn't say its irrelevant really, The drummer should always into the bass guitar really, It just doesn't sound right otherwise!!!
    Yes, but that's part of complimenting the whole song. For example Danny Carey doesn't formulate his parts based on just the bass, he does it based on Maynard's vocals, as well as the guitar. The various rhythms he develops are designed specifically for the song as a whole. And, I think, you would find that is the same idea that most top level drummers use. You need to remember that there is no specific way to play drums. No specific style or rhythm, that HAS to be used. How can anyone judge someone elses creativity?

Beyond that, like I said, if you are playing someone elses song, then you should realy try to emulate what that person does, but at the same time, it's ok to move around within that, playing the FEEL of the original in your own style.

User Info Menu

well, even if its not necessarily your foot that is going with the vocals. It does make sense to crash when the vocals are accented at the start of a bar ( on the one for example ). I have heard many times where the drum fills actually follow the vocals. Well actually, all the instruments are pretty much working together. I think that the bass drum should mostly be in sync with the bass guitar but variations off that at times is very colourful!!

User Info Menu

yeah live, iv found that too, thats why i was kind of confused, because fills and stuff and just the back beets sometimes to follow the vocals.

User Info Menu

I've always had a method for working out beats for the practice space, if I haven't had time to prepare a riff, or my band wants backing.

Bass Drum will follow the Bass Guitar, or the main bass accents of the guitar riff.
    Snare will hit on the high accents of the guitar parts.
    Hats/Ride/Crash - Depending on what the riff calls for, quarters or 8ths

This tends to come out with something that fits the riffs. But it's only designed to be temporary, until you can work out a better beat for it.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Yes, but that's part of complimenting the whole song. For example Danny Carey doesn't formulate his parts based on just the bass, he does it based on Maynard's vocals, as well as the guitar. The various rhythms he develops are designed specifically for the song as a whole. And, I think, you would find that is the same idea that most top level drummers use. You need to remember that there is no specific way to play drums. No specific style or rhythm, that HAS to be used. How can anyone judge someone elses creativity?

Beyond that, like I said, if you are playing someone elses song, then you should realy try to emulate what that person does, but at the same time, it's ok to move around within that, playing the FEEL of the original in your own style.
    You're right!! No need to be closed minded, It's just that i have always been really into the bass guitar, and as a result, I have formulated all my playing around the Bass riffs.

Who can i listen to to help me to widen my style a bit and tune into different parts??

I bough the tool album 10,000 eyes i think?? so I can listen to Danny Careys stuff, who else could i get into?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986
    You're right!! No need to be closed minded, It's just that i have always been really into the bass guitar, and as a result, I have formulated all my playing around the Bass riffs.

Who can i listen to to help me to widen my style a bit and tune into different parts??

I bough the tool album 10,000 eyes i think?? so I can listen to Danny Careys stuff, who else could i get into?
    It's funny you ask that becuase I was actually listening to someone just the other day who's kick patterns seemed to do "their own thing" so to speak, but can't for the life of me remember who.

I'm not sure about your musical tastes, but as a drummer it's hard to go past Danny and well just about any Tool song/album - "Lateralus" is simply amazing, and I think the reason for that is the infusion of different styles Danny Carey uses, so another way to do it would be to get into different areas of drumming. For example, he studied Jazz drumming for most of his life, then joined a metal band. Nowadays he is very into tambala playing, and so the various rhythm patterns and techniques used there, he transposes them into his playing on the kit.

At any rate you will be happy witht he drumming in 10 000 Days. General consesus on this forum seems to be he is one of the best out there. IMO - he is my favourite drummer, just because he does things that i don't hear anywhere else. I've heard some of Tony Royster Jnr's recent stuff, and again, he seems to play more to the point of complimenting as opposed to any set formulae or style. He plays in several bands from jazz to progressive rock. Also the things i've listened to recently of JoJo Mayer seems that he likes to use unusal patterns and such - again Jazz influence. It seems it is usually Jazz influences that brings these guys out. I think I need to get into Jazz

User Info Menu

I think you should get some Porcupine Tree while you're at it. The album "In Absentia" is really good. Speaking of which, they just released a new album as well.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

It seems that the main styles that crop up for this type of thing are jazz and "progressive" rock/metal hey? Anyway, I was just listening to POD's "Alive" - the kick pattern during the versus of that song don't really seem to follow the bass. So there is another example.

I'm actually check them out HB - I've heard them mentioned on here several times now. BTW - how did you go getting your hands on Hellyeah?

User Info Menu

Hey lafirin, I just thought of something that I often do when I am "drumming on my knees" - i tap my right foot along with the bass or whatever and the elft foot with the snare/hands of the drummer in the song. Perhaps you could try doing something similar to that to help you control when your right foot is acually tapping along and what it is following.

User Info Menu

I prefer to play along with the guitarist, while still also focusing on the entire song as a whole, but if you can keep time and groove along to the singer, then do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I think you should get some Porcupine Tree while you're at it. The album "In Absentia" is really good. Speaking of which, they just released a new album as well.

HB58
    Yea porcupine tree is awesome, there newest album is very cool, deadwing is also a great album, I strongly suggest there three latest albums featuring Gavin Harrison on drums, he is a brilliant drummer.