Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this drum set???

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you think about this drum set???

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Anyone else notice those floor toms??? Those heads seem a LITTLE too big!
    Gong drums I think they are technically called. The head is supposed to be bigger than the drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Gong drums I think they are technically called. The head is supposed to be bigger than the drum.
    Didn't know Pearl was making them now. I thought only a few companies like Tama and then DW were doing them and that was it. I love the sound of those.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Really, it's small compared to most of the kit's Portnoy played.
    Yes it is because Portnoy basically had 2 drumsets put together on his.

Here he is playing on the drum set he used in the studio.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFFdikTwPmg"]YouTube - ‪Vater Percussion - Mike Mangini (Dream Theater)- Vater Slick Nut Demo‬‏[/ame]

User Info Menu

Well, i think it looks pretty cool.
    With bigger kits, i kinda prefer the look if them if they're kinda wild, like that one. Looks more customized, avoids the feeling of big for the sake of big. That's just me though.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

For some reason I picture an octupus playing that.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Are there any places that will allow me to marry an inanimate object?
    Once you hit international waters, I'm fairly certain you can do whatever you like if The Simpsons have taught me well ("I now pronounce you Man and Cow"...).

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Doesn't look even remotely playable. The toms are out of wack, the side snare is a mile away, the kicks are all mismatched so it would be hard to find the sound you want in a pinch. It does not look comfortable to play and a pain to tune/set up. The kick on the far left looks like it's blocked by a big floor tom, so even if he can reach it he'll likely end up scratching a custom paint job.
    If I'm not mistaken, this is the same guy about ten years ago.

Starting from the center, in the kit in the ad, the toms go hi-low symmetrically as you move out to the L and R from dead center. This would certainly mess me up as well.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

wonder what that floor tom sounds like? That's a crazy design. Oversizing a head? What's the purpose?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xObfuscation View Post
    Yes it is because Portnoy basically had 2 drumsets put together on his.

Here he is playing on the drum set he used in the studio.
    YouTube - ‪Vater Percussion - Mike Mangini (Dream Theater)- Vater Slick Nut Demo‬‏
    When he talks about the Skull Nuts on the hats, are his left side hats ZBT's?
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post

Starting from the center, in the kit in the ad, the toms go hi-low symmetrically as you move out to the L and R from dead center. This would certainly mess me up as well.
    Well here is the the set that he used in studio, which is practically the same one.

Also this is part of an interview he gave to ModernDrummer in which he explains his drum set a bit.

MD: Have you created a drumkit to fit the specific needs of Dream Theater?
    Mike: I showed up for DT ready for DT. Meaning the drumkit’s core was designed years earlier, but I prepared a kit design with DT’s music in mind, with Mike Portnoy’s incredible drumming style in mind. My DT setup is designed for my left foot to be hitting a 26″ bass drum. I’m playing totally lefty on a big bass drum. Mike had to get up off his stool and move to another stool to hit a 26″ bass drum. He also had to get up and move to another kit to play a smaller bass drum. I have a 26″ to my left, an 18″ bass drum on my far right, and two 22″ bass drums in the center of my kit.
    MD: Can you break down the overall design of your new Dream Theater touring kits?
    Mike: I’ll be using either a Pearl Reference Pure kit or a Pearl Masterworks kit in this setup. The two 22″ center bass drums are identical in size in order to play typical double bass patterns and to be able to play single kick patterns with either foot. And sometimes I want to free my right foot to play my right hi-hat. The 26″ bass drum on my left is played by a slave pedal and used for big, airy, heavy rock sections. The 18″ bass drum to the right is for dynamic purposes. My four acoustic bass drums are designed to create low-end dynamics within a single drumkit. I also have two Pearl e-Pro electronic kick drum triggers on the far left and far right. This allows me to trigger percussion sounds or any other sound I choose.

So I have a choice of six kick pedals at all times. I have to credit Mike Farriss at Pearl Drums for helping me design and create this incredible setup. He’s hand-making me a set of Pearl e-Pro electronic drums to include in this kit. My other two pedals are my cable hi-hats, which are wired to crisscross the kit so that each pedal controls the hats of the opposite hand. The toms are set up in an apex shape so that I can perform patterns as a classically trained musician. When guitarist John Petrucci plays a minor scale from high to low, descending one note at a time, I can also descend one note at a time on my toms, in the exact sequence. The gong drum acts as a bridge between my hands and feet, when I need a bass drum sound but my feet are already busy on other pedals.

My Pearl signature snare in the middle of my kit acts in the same way, as a bridge up to the suspended cannon drums in the front of my kit. Or it acts as a secondary snare drum for dynamic purposes. I will play sticking patterns between my mini snare and my main snare because that allows me better dynamics that I can’t achieve on my main snare alone. In the same way, I can use my 18″ bass drum and my 26″ bass drum together in a pattern to create more extreme dynamics within a groove.

My cymbal setup is designed to complement the specific dynamic frequency in the same way. I’ll use a smaller cymbal for high notes in the music and larger cymbals to accentuate the lower notes. I need quite a few of them to cover the gamut of the heavily composed music of Dream Theater. I also split my cymbal setup symmetrically, from the middle out to each side. My cannon drums are set up from left to right. Mike Portnoy used Octobans a lot in Dream Theater’s music, but I need to set my cannon drums up properly within my setup so I’m not killing myself to reach for them. I suspended them high in front of me, mainly because there was nowhere else to put them. I also have a set of Pearl e-Pro pads suspended up high for triggering timpani and percussion tuned to exact pitches. Everything has a very specific purpose in this kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Once you hit international waters, I'm fairly certain you can do whatever you like if The Simpsons have taught me well ("I now pronounce you Man and Cow"...).

Oh I totally dig that kit for sure. I haven't seen a lot of inverted tom set ups, but what he did with his is quite elaborate. I'd love to have a session with those.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Gym membership? What for, look at my kit..........
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Here's the first incarnation, from his Extreme days. I read an article about it back in 95 or 96, and he said he set it up that way to keep up with Nuno's guitar work.

http://youtu.be/um24wnmC3xs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    When he talks about the Skull Nuts on the hats, are his left side hats ZBT's?
    Sure looks like it. Saw a ZHT splash too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Three words....ENGINEERING DEGREE REQUIRED!
    Crap. I can't make sense of this. I'll never finish school.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

If I was an ambidextrous drummer like Mangini, I actually wouldn't see much of a problem playing his kit. But alas, I am not ambidextrous! haha
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Simply amazing......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup is a Vegetable View Post
    Here's the first incarnation, from his Extreme days. I read an article about it back in 95 or 96, and he said he set it up that way to keep up with Nuno's guitar work.

He said almost the same thing this time for when he plays during Pertucci's guitar solos.

User Info Menu

I wonder how hard it would be to navigate a fully inverted kit of that size? The fact that he can is a true testament to his skill, character, and knowledge of drumming. He must know that kit inside and out!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to navigate a fully inverted kit of that size? The fact that he can is a true testament to his skill, character, and knowledge of drumming. He must know that kit inside and out!
    Well his knowledge of drumming is very good since he has some of the world's fastest drummer records. Also he has been a professor for Berklee college of music in Boston. So this guy just looks like a drum genius from every angle.

User Info Menu

pearl blech i dont like the look of this kit or setup. its just TOO Bozio haha
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup is a Vegetable View Post

Yeah Ketchup. I remember seeing some pic's and video's of that set up when he played with Steve Vai too. The earlier Roto-Tom based set-up. Mangini is forever a restless thinker on the drums from what I've read in interviews too, and I seem to recall from somewhere that at one time when he had graduated with a computer science degree, that this guy helped to design software for missile programs!! Mike is an absolute freak when it comes to maths, probably thinks faster than some computers, I'd swear, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Love the tube lugs they look pretty cool. I wonder what series it is. Masterworks or Reference? Pearl the only way to drum.
    It is a reference pure
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

It does look like a difficult kit to play at first glance. However, when you realise who's kit this is and the ambidextrous nature of his abilities it begins to make sense. It does still remain a difficult kit to play for mortals such as myself but drumming deity such as Mike make it look easy (apart from those constipated faces he pulls ).

Also, looking at his older setups, you can see the journey he has taken - the core instruments still remain but he has adapted and modified his setup to take into account the situation in which he is performing.

It appears that each instrument is there for a reason and for a very specific purpose that has been thought out rather than just creating a monster kit for its own sake. (Bozzio, take note!)
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I think it's great that Mangini landed with them if he's rockin these kind of setups. I never saw Mike step up and play with something like this, so maybe a new era and a new sound lies within Dream Theater's near future. It's kind of a big turning point for the band.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm slowly losing my taste for over the top drum kits. I'm never going to be enamored with the ultra-minimal four piece kits with three cymbals, but those gigantic monstrosities are just...

Honestly, if anyone tells me during a big rock song that they can tell the difference between a 6" and an 8" splash or the difference between two different rides I'm gonna call you a liar.