Thread: What's Joey playing on Sweet Emotion?

User Info Menu

Default What's Joey playing on Sweet Emotion?

I'm learning Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith at the moment.

In the verses he mostly plays the hats, but in the fourth and final passage he's riding on something else. It's very 'pingey' and almost sounds like a triangle.

Anyone got any idea what it is? I'm assuming its the bell of his ride and that's how I'm trying to play it, but I get quite a different sounds doing that and I'm curious as to whether it's something else (in which case I'll put less effort into trying to match it with my ride!)
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's Joey playing on Sweet Emotion?

This should help you. See verse 4, line 71 I think.

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/aeros...m-tab-s23326t4

User Info Menu

Thanks for that!. So Joey is still playing hats while Steven plays a triangle over the top! Well that would explain why it sounds 'almost like a triangle'!

I guess I'll stop trying to emulate it on my ride then
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

You might be able to find something similar like wind chimes at your local thrift store to hang off your cymbal stands or rack. This is assuming you don't already have a musical triangle in your current set up, though.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What I do live, is I play the hat pattern with my left hand and then play the chime pattern on the bell of my ride and the snare with my right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    What I do live, is I play the hat pattern with my left hand and then play the chime pattern on the bell of my ride and the snare with my right.
    I have a hard enough time playing the hat pattern the 'right' way round! I suspect I'm a few years away from being able to manage that.

User Info Menu

I play hand drums in a band that does this and it's the only time I get to use the triangle I've had for 20 years. I practically beg them to do it every gig so I can justify packing the thing. Fun.

Larrysperf Guest

Triangles are like tee pees hard to get around them in a circle lol