Thread: Recording equipment

User Info Menu

Default Recording equipment

Since getting back into recording last year, I saw a lot of things had changed since I had previously done it. I would like to set up a home studio to record drums for other peoples projects. I know I would need some sort of PC based program, good mics, etc. I can get decent mics at reasonable prices, so I'm not worried there. I'm more concerned with the recording software. Which one and how much? I don't really want top of the line, but i don't want junk either. Please give me some input on this.

One other thing.....what's the going rate these days? About 15 years ago I was charging $25 per hour, 3 hour minimum. It was kinda nice because I knew i would get paid a little something each time I went.

Thanks...
    Last edited by nighthawk11; 06-01-2011 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording equipment

What kind of room/acoustics do you have to work with? It won't make much sense to blow your cash on some Neumann overheads and Sennheiser 421's if the place to track in isn't that good to start with. Bass traps, insulation, enough space for the kit to breathe, high ceilings, all are things you will definitely hear on recording. As far as equipment goes, you have a few options. You can go all out with mics, interface, computer, preamps for a more elaborate deal or go with something simpler like a camera with good built in microphones, such as a zoom q3 or a roland edirol. The latter method will be cheaper and get a good recording, but you won't have quite as much control. If you need to do processing, want to tweak certain drums seperately, or you have other special needs you might go the previous route. What you'd end up spending depends on which gear you invest in, but you can expect a decent setup to run around 800 and up.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Here's a great thread by nucjd: Starts off with the room build and may have some info concerning software, check it out.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...dio-16527.html

User Info Menu

Are you on a PC or a Mac?

If a Mac, I'd say either Logic Studio or Presonus Studio One.

If a PC, Studio One.

User Info Menu

the audio interface comes with the software but usually limited versions you can upgrade

generally the big name DAWs will support most interfaces