Thread: Hi everyone! Advice on buying drumset

User Info Menu

Default Hi everyone! Advice on buying drumset

Recently i decided to buy a new drumset. So far I've been playing an electronic kit not so good. I have around 1200 Euros (i live in Greece). I've been thinking about "yamaha stage custom advantage" or "tama superstar custom".But I'm open to any other suggestion. Your opinions would be really valuable to me!! Thanks a lot..

User Info Menu

Come on guys! I need a little help..give me your wisdom

User Info Menu

I haven't met you before, so first of all let me say welcome (Dude! I'm talking to someone in Greece!)

As to your drum decision, there are a few factors that we'll have to sort out. Have you gone to a music store to put your sticks on different drums to see what kind of sound you like? The type of heads will make a difference in the sound, as will the tuning, and the type of wood that the drums are constructed of will help determine the ultimate sound of your drums.

I am assuming from the drums that you are looking at that you are not a beginner, so you may have already thought about this, so tell us what you have already done in the process of choosing a set.

BTW - this is a pretty good article on selecting drums to buy. It's Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible, and it has a section on buying drums.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

This should help you on your way. I would also tell you not to rush the process. I just bought a new set myself, and it took time to figure out exactly what I wanted. Of course, it was also about the fact that I don't have an unlimited supply of cash, and I didn't want to choose unwisely! I said this to someone before, so I'll say it again to you geo kats, think of this part of the process as an exciting journey, rather than seeing the purchase as the destination. It will make it more fun, and you'll realize just how much more you'll learn about drums in the process.

Keep us posted about your progress, and I'm sure others will have good advice for you, too.

User Info Menu

If you were specifically choosing out of those two, I would prolly say the tama. But what level are you at? Planning on gigging or just hanging at home alone. There is lots of debate of how good a kit you go for, waiting and saving up etc.

But welcome! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

What about a Pearl Export? Its popular and It's definately worth the money!!! But if you were only going to choose out of the 2 you mentioned, I would go yamaha. I played one of those Stage Customs in my local music shop (Ireland, all hail the mighty euro) and they are rock solid!! Very nice kit!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

First of all, thanks a lot for the advice.My friend Bob I'm quite a beginner(I play for a year and a half) and I know nothing about head sounds and tuning. I believe those would be a few issues after the purchase(or not ) . I don't want to rush either, but the stores in my place usually exhibit one kit-and just for visual purposes- so I can't go around and try the kits. I know that's shame..
    As for gigging, it's not in my near-future plans. I just hang in my basement with the guys and play.
    Also, I would like to say that I'm referring at these models only because they seem the best choice at the money I've decided to spend. I just want something that's going to last a few years and sounds good(I know though that any set of that value would sound satisfying to me at this point ..that's why I ask)

User Info Menu

Well, out of those 2, I'd go Yamaha all the way. They are a different kit, very nice models, EXTREMELY under-rated, Tama just doesn't do it for me! If there is a Yamaha in your local and they don;t really have a range of products, I would pick it up!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geo_kats7
    First of all, thanks a lot for the advice.My friend Bob I'm quite a beginner(I play for a year and a half) and I know nothing about head sounds and tuning. I believe those would be a few issues after the purchase(or not ) . I don't want to rush either, but the stores in my place usually exhibit one kit-and just for visual purposes- so I can't go around and try the kits. I know that's shame..
    As for gigging, it's not in my near-future plans. I just hang in my basement with the guys and play.
    Also, I would like to say that I'm referring at these models only because they seem the best choice at the money I've decided to spend. I just want something that's going to last a few years and sounds good(I know though that any set of that value would sound satisfying to me at this point ..that's why I ask)
    In that case, Geo Kats, either set would seem to be a good choice. My only other advice to you is to go online and find a good article on the tone qualities of the different woods for the drum shells. It makes a difference whether you like a bright, higher tone, or a somewhat warmer, lower tone. For instance, birch shells give a brighter sound, while maple gives a warmer sound. These will generally be the choices in the type of sets your describing. It all depends on what styles of music you like to play. Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

I'm not an expert on this, but it's been my experience that less expensive drums can be helped, soundwise, with good quality heads and proper tuning and dampening. There's no help for cheap cymbols, however, except not playing them. Given a choice, I'd choose a lower end kit with top of the line heads and quality cymbols over a nicer kit with starter cymbols. I'd rather listen to a Pearl Forum kit with Paiste Signatures than a DW kit with Zildjian ZBT's.

If I were starting from scratch now and buying a new kit, I'd focus a lot more on the snare, along with the cymbols, than the rest of the kit. We were in Guitar Center this weekend and my son got to play an Orange County snare. This this was the most amazing drum I have ever heard. It was unbelievably sensitive, had beautiful tone, nice volume, and had so many different voicings. We fell in love with this thing. It looked something like this...

http://www.ocdrum.com/drums/image.ph...=2&n=347&t=402

...but it was all white with white hardware.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 06-04-2007 at 06:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Well said, RD. Yeah, I blew it on the cheaper kit with great heads cymbals, verses better kit with lesser quality heads and cymbals. You're right that the right heads can make a nice difference.

BTW, cool looking snare!

User Info Menu

hey geokats

i'm about as inexperienced as you so am not qualified at all to give you advice. Except what i myself have been told, or what i've read elsewhere. seems a lotta people (meaning more experienced drummers) would go with the stage customs. (thats what i'm looking at buying myself). one good piece of advice that was given to beginners in another forum i read is that if you're a real beginner (which i am) then there isn't going to be much difference between various entry level sets. just buy the cheapest you can get and take it from there. the stage customs are not entry level though. i guess also that RD's point about the cheap kit w good cymbals and heads trumps good kit with lousy cymbals n heads makes a lotta sense.

welcome to the forum, from one newbie to another!

User Info Menu

other kits to look at in that range.....
    new pearl vision
    sonor force 3003 or 3005
    mapex pro-m or m-birch
    gretsch catalina maple or birch

User Info Menu

All right. I get your point. The heads are the leathers of the drum,aren't they? They aren't standard?? Should I replace them?

User Info Menu

1200 euros is a lot..i would reccomend a yamaha, sonor, mapex, gretch, DW, or ludwig kit (i tend to stay away from pearl/tama..just personal preference). Also i would reccomend a maple kit, over a birch..but a mix is always good. And do research..dont buy junk..get a nice finish..and a good quality set..youll be happy..and get some decent cymbals..and just practice.

User Info Menu

I play pearl drums right now...might switch soon! But I'v recently tried a Mapex Orion series and it was pretty freakin incredible! Seriously!! The bass drum sounded AMAZING! Definetly worth giving a try for yourself.
    James of Razor Red

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geo_kats7 View Post
    All right. I get your point. The heads are the leathers of the drum,aren't they? They aren't standard?? Should I replace them?
    yah...i would definetly try and replace battered skins as much as i could afford to...especially if your gigging...your drums will sound and look much more professional with new skins, it makes a big difference.
    Rock on my friend
    James of Razor Red

User Info Menu

i think you should buya pearl set a little pricy but t has the BEST ply wood

User Info Menu

i think you should buy a pearl set a little pricy but it has the BEST ply wood

User Info Menu

Mapex M includes nice hardware if you need that too. Other sets don't necessarily have that. My M set smokes, and even includes a sweet 8" tom (making it a 6-piece kit). I love mine, and the finish is BEAUTIFUL. I'm so in love with my drum set...

User Info Menu

I have the same problem as Geo. It wont be possible for me to try any kits out cos they only have a cheapo "Stagg kit on display in my local store. Deprived of a chance to try, im gonna have to buy off the internet without trying. Oh well

User Info Menu

Not to worry, Vinny, you'll get some great input from your drumming family! If you can tell us what you like, I'm guessing that we might do a decent job of pointing you in the right direction. We're here for you, bro.!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Not to worry, Vinny, you'll get some great input from your drumming family! If you can tell us what you like, I'm guessing that we might do a decent job of pointing you in the right direction. We're here for you, bro.!
    Good to hear. At the moment im leaning towards a Premier kit. Ill have enough money to buy it in a few months time. They were good enough for Keith Moon and Bonzo. Theyl be good enough for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Good to hear. At the moment im leaning towards a Premier kit. Ill have enough money to buy it in a few months time. They were good enough for Keith Moon and Bonzo. Theyl be good enough for me.
    The drummer in our big band bought a premier kit, and he loves the drums, he has been very dissapointed with the hardware particularly the cymbal stands. The plastic bushing are breaking on him, and when he tried to buy replacement parts was told they weren't available. The shop keeper told him It seems Premier may be in some financial difficulty and may be going away. I would check into that and verify if Premier is going to be around, before I bought one of their kits.

User Info Menu

MHM. Ill keep that in mind.