Thread: Blue Snowball USBMicrophone - Question!

User Info Menu

Question Blue Snowball USBMicrophone - Question!

Okay, so.. for a little random background info: I have been drumming for about two years, little more. I am self taught and for the most part, pretty good. I've been in a few bands here and there and have recorded in some low grade studios with some bands.

My question is, The BLUE Snowball USB Microphone!? I want to make my own little drum recordings for say... youtube or something like that. Nothing professional quality, just good enough quality to hear each drum and cymbal. It has 3 channels, i cant remember names, but i know 1 is for guitar/amp micing/singing because it records whats in front clearly. 2 is (what people say) would be used for drums or loud instruments, its the same as 1, but it has a drop -10dB pad. and 3 is omnidirectional which picks up 360degree radius for full "live" sounding recording.

I just want to know, from your opinions (because you guys probably know a million times more than me about this stuff) if you think it will work. I already bought it, because ive heard it should work fine (my uncle is a veryyyy good musician and has his own studio, he said it SHOULD work fine for "youtube quality sound".) Just want some more professional opinions.

Also, please refrain from using SUPPERRR technical terms for recording and things to that nature (I'm nowhere near pro at this stuff so i know almost nothing xD haha )

THANKS GUYS!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Blue Snowball USBMicrophone - Question!

Hey Fraz,

I think the second channel would be best for you. Coming from my own experience with Guitar Hero microphones (the ones you get with the game. Yes, I used that for recording), which are, out of all estimation, condenser microphones (instrument mics), the BSB mic should definitely record ok. The GH mic records perfectly fine and at a really, really cheap price, so I couldn't imagine what a mic like the BSB could do. I'd try experimenting. The -10dB sounds like it would capture the drums very well, although it'd capture everything out front; i.e. the toms (and snare, to a point, based on my own experience) would be a little weak. The cymbals will be prevalent and the kick will stand out on the 2nd channel, not so much the 1st. The 3rd channel, however, might be your best overall choice; but since it's a "live sounding" channel it could ultimately depend on the acoustics of the room you record in. Best of luck!

-Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Hey thanks Jordinson. I currently am in possession of the mic, tried it out a little bit. i put it on somewhat of an angle in front of the drums (about 2 feet from the drums) so that it would pick up the snare a bit more. It honestly sounds great. if you still currently use GH's mics, I recommend you spend and get BSB, its veryyyyyyyyy nice for messing around. a pretty good "youtube-quality" mic. thanks for your help though

User Info Menu

No problemo. I have 3 GH mics that we're using for our demo CD because the quality it gives is basically that of a demo CD. Nothing special, but it's also a bit more pleasant to us (me and my band) to have it for ourselves instead of having to pay someone else to record us. Our $.02. One for the snare, one for the kick, and one for the overhead.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave