Thread: Tuning question! :o

User Info Menu

Exclamation Tuning question! :o

okay, ive been drumming for only 2.5 years and ive never been great at tuning (i currently use remO rings to make up for it) my question is, I want my drums to sound somewhat higher.. I guess? idk how yto explain it. I want it to be that bubble-y thump type sound (ie : devil wears prada, bullet for my valentine, etc. like more metal-y type styles) idk if its my skins, or drum sizes maybe? I have 12,13,16 toms with Evans ONYX 2-ply coated heads. idk if maybe I should get thinner heads? and the resos are stock ludwig 1-ply. or maybe try tuning higher? idk.. any suggestions? :0

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning question! :o

Replace resos when possible with something 1ply for a bit more sustain. Thump generally points towards a lower sound, so you aren't going to want to have a higher tuning or brighter sounding heads for this task. I believe the heads you chose for the job are great, they are 2 ply and ebony so tuning them in the lower ends of the spectrum shouldn't be difficult. The thing to remember is to keep checking lug to lug and making sure they aren't wildly far apart tonally.

Tune in a star pattern checking from farthest opposing lug, going around the drum and tuning evenly. Once the wrinkles are gone, you should come up upon a low range, and you can keep going if you like until you hit a mid range- but it's not necessary. You should have by now gotten these heads right where their sweet spot is. Stock resos should be discarded asap, most of them don't sound good and cause various problems and frustrations that can be avoided by upgrading them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments