Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Dishwasher works!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Dishwasher works!!!!

I am so glad to see all of you DC'rs keeping clean....now I have a whole bunch of windows that my wife wants me to wash...and to all the authorities out there anyone want to volunteer?? that way I can play instead of work
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

[quote=Greenmonster206;397615 I don't bother cleaning my cymbals at all. I don't think it effects the sound. [/quote]

man, there are alot of threads about that!

any stickmark or grime obstructs vibrations. if you clean those obstructions, it allows the cymbal to vibrate at full capacity.

depending on how dirty the cymbal is, you may not notice a huge difference, but cleaning your cymbals will make them much brighter and will also make them *shimmer* for alot longer.

i cant think up a problem with the dishwasher, other than maybe the logos coming off. household hot water should only be running 160degrees at the very very max, this temperature will scald you, but wont damage the cymbal. remember you put glass into a dishwasher! your cymbals are stronger than glass (duh)

what may damage the cymbal would be the heat ring in the dishwasher that is used to dry the dishes. just dont let it get to that stage. thats the only thing i can think of....what else could damage the cymbal??? the detergent??

User Info Menu

So glad there were pictures, I was starting to think it never happened.......LOL
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Thinking of options to the Dishwasher of you want to keep your cymbals with a clean look (and ideally with labels), do people generally recommend little and often, i.e. once a week or so give them a very gentle clean. Or leave for a while then do a more intensive clean, maybe once every 6-12 months? Which is going to be longer term better for the cymbal?
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Well, I can't put these in a wash, lol, they're my electronic ones, that'll bugger up the electronics big-time!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Ok, I'm a scientist who works with metal alloys, so I gotta weigh-in here. The temp will do nothing, as was said. There's a reason Paiste or anybody recommend cymbal cleaners, metal surfaces do not like certain chemicals. The soap is not good. Copper - tin alloys have metallic bonds (not covalent by the way) and surfaces react easily in strong bases. Dishwashing soap is a base (opposite an acid) which means at higher concentration its caustic.....have a look at metal utensils after awhile. This will be interesting to post what these look like in 3 months, because the metal surface will be affected by the strong base of the soap. I'm predicting fades or shades of green from reaction with copper, especially where surface polish is broken by nicks or scuffs in cymbal. I guess you're an experimentalist. Good luck. Lets see 'em in 3 months!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post
    that being said monster,would you be ok if someone put your cymbals in the dishwasher
    Not a problem. Y'all really need to find something else to get spun up over...logos...covalent bonds...fingerprints interupting vibrations...reduced shimmer. To use the vernacular of the modern teen...OMG!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Not a problem. Y'all really need to find something else to get spun up over...logos...covalent bonds...fingerprints interupting vibrations...reduced shimmer. To use the vernacular of the modern teen...OMG!
    I know you're not being entirely serious, but given the investment that a full set of 2002 cymbals represents I certainly want to keep them in top condition if I can.

It's a bit like a new car, sooner or later it's going to get some scratches and dings, that's inevitable. But you want to do everything you can to put off that day!
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Distempering is totally opposite of what you guys are talking about here. Distemper is a viral infection in animals. Distempering is the act of preventing this viral infection.

Tempering on the other hand is what Rioule is refering to. It's the process of heating and cooling of metal alloys to alter thier molecular composition. But tempering can also involve hammering, heating and rapid cooling or slow deliberate cooling, say in a sand pit. It can make them harder which makes them more brittle. The temper of an alloy is controlled by the number of times it's heated and cooled and also the rate of cooling. So depending on what process the cymbals go through during production, hammering, heating cooling including anything introducing heat into the alloy including the lathing process, will affect the outcome of the tempering of the cymbal.

Puting the cymbal into a dishwasher, may over time create a more brittle cymbal as Rioule has stated. It may not appear to affect the cymbal by the naked eye other than a clean look, but inside the makeup of the cymbal where you can't see, may be going through small changes in the molecular makeup of the cymbal as stated by Rioule earlier. I would not advise puting cymbals or other metal alloys in the dishwasher myself or in hot water.

I used to know a machinist that repaired helicopter parts. When repairing certain alloys, it required him to control the temp. of the metal but using a sand pit. This controlled the cooling process, it would be less rapid cooling in sand vs cooling in wide open air or in cold or warm water.

I'm with Rioule on this one.
    I agree too.Knife makers will also cool by oil instead of water for that slow cooling which keeps the metal from becoming too brittle.My father was a professional welder and he told me a lot about Metallurgy. It is wise to pay attention to metal properties and stress limits.I know I dont want to take the chance.

I like the idea of the guy on here that put his cymbal on an old motor,(the shaft part), and cleaned them as they spun.
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 06-07-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by damagedrummer View Post
    man, there are alot of threads about that!

Any stickmark or grime obstructs vibrations. If you clean those obstructions, it allows the cymbal to vibrate at full capacity.

Depending on how dirty the cymbal is, you may not notice a huge difference, but cleaning your cymbals will make them much brighter and will also make them *shimmer* for alot longer.
    +1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    I know you're not being entirely serious, but given the investment that a full set of 2002 cymbals represents I certainly want to keep them in top condition if I can.

It's a bit like a new car, sooner or later it's going to get some scratches and dings, that's inevitable. But you want to do everything you can to put off that day!
    I was entirely serious...