Thread: thinkin' about buying some congas.

User Info Menu

Default thinkin' about buying some congas.

i need advice. recently i've been listening to the Spanish channels on my brighthouse cable system and the hand percussion players are phenomenal i was thinkin' could someone give me a hint on which type of conga to buy for a beginner?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Cool thinkin' about buying some congas

Hey, Ringo!

I shouted a few ideas to ya in the Forum, but here's the full version:

Congas generally come in three sizes, called from smallest to largest quinto, conga and tumba. A fourth, smaller drum called the requinto is sometimes used by proficient congueros (that's Spanish for "conga player").

I have played LP (Latin Percussion) congas and their subsidiary brands (which through the years have included Matador, CP and Aspire), as well as Toca and Remo; I have played wood and fiberglass congas, and a conga made of a composite material that resembles the bedliner on new pickup trucks--my Remo, which I have found to be darn near bulletproof. To me, fiberglass congas are light and easy to carry, but the gel-coat finishes on most shells don't hold up well to knockin' around. I would strongly recommend getting gig bags for any congas you buy, expecially if you haul 'em around a lot.

To me, wooden shells have a better and deeper sound, while fiberglass are brighter and sharper. The Remo congas are similar in sound to the wood shells.

Play them all and decide for yourself what's gonna work best for you--and of course if you have any questions, there are a lot of bongo brothers (and sisters) on this site who'll help you...have fun with them, bro', and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i've tried latin percussion congas and i love the sound of them. particularly the caliente fiberglass series.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Cool thinkin' about buying some congas

LP congas are the standard by which modern congas are judged, but if you've been reading the comments both here and in the reviews, the competition's much tougher than it was even five years ago.

If they sound good to you, go for them, but check other makes and models in your price range...don't jump at the first one you play...

keep us posted, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Another percussion player checkin in. I play Toca's, i believe LP is the
    parent company. I have the players series. Kinda crappy heads, fiberglass
    shells. They were great to learn on but now that my skills and ears have
    improved im also looking into a new set. One thing i cant get past is all
    the noise in the local guitar centers drum section of the store. I need
    to be able to hear what the drums sound like without 15 people playing
    electronic sets 6 feet away (or little kids playing romper-room).
    What is the cats meow when it comes to conga heads? I want to reskin
    my current congas as well as get new ones, more the merrier right?
    Any good links?