Thread: Head combos.

User Info Menu

Smile Head combos.

Hey guys!

I am moving out at the moment, After I have I'll be getting money fortnightly. I plan to buy new heads for my kit because the stock remo UTs are impossible to tune and sound like garbage.

I play alot of metal but enjoy playing everything from jazz to metal, so I'm looking for a really versatile head that packs alot of punch for my metal but also plays well when played quietly.

I'm getting both batter and reso's, so my question is what combinations compliment each other and are versatile. Did check out coated Evans G2's but it's my first time buying and wanted to know what you guys thought.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Head combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    enjoy playing everything from jazz to metal, so I'm looking for a really versatile head that packs alot of punch for my metal but also plays well when played quietly.
    In order to be metal to jazz versatile you may want to consider drum heads without any pre-dampening, but durable. A two-ply batter over a one-ply reso, such as an Evans G2 / G1.

You will then be able to adjust the sustain with moon gel or studio rings if needed.
    Last edited by areFish; 06-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I'll go first!

I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. I finally settled (for now) with Remo Pinstripes for the batter and Remo Emperors for the reso's. I like the tone I get from this combo.

Being a Bonham guy myself, I'll probably try one or two more combos. I may switch my reso's over to Ambassador reso's when these Emperors give out.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    In order to metal to jazz versatile you may want to consider drum heads without any pre-dampening, but durable. A two-ply batter over a one-ply reso, such as an Evans G2 / G1.

You will then be able to adjust the sustain with moon gel or studio rings if needed.
    +1

You read my mind.

I'll only add that if you do want some built in damping (ring/overtone control), go with Evans EC2 over G1 combo.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    Hey guys!

I am moving out at the moment, After I have I'll be getting money fortnightly. I plan to buy new heads for my kit because the stock remo UTs are impossible to tune and sound like garbage.

I play alot of metal but enjoy playing everything from jazz to metal, so I'm looking for a really versatile head that packs alot of punch for my metal but also plays well when played quietly.

I'm getting both batter and reso's, so my question is what combinations compliment each other and are versatile. Did check out coated Evans G2's but it's my first time buying and wanted to know what you guys thought.
    Ut's aren't impossible to tune, as with most stocks they can sound good in some cases but you must know exactly what you're doing. Think of your stock heads as the ultimate test in tuning, if you can make your kit sound good with them then you can consider yourself able to get a good sound out of your kit with any head. They are an invaluable learning tool, and if they didn't go out of tune so fast(which is somewhat faulted by lug and hoop quality) or break i'd still be using mine.

That's not to deter you from getting upgrades, I think you'll have an easier time getting a good sound when you start out with a good fresh head. G2 over G1, it's a good sound, anyone that's played on a drum with that combo knows it works and is quite versatile. The coated will have good midtones and a soft thump to them, while a clear will have a slightly brighter cut and offer a good attack. You may want to pick up some additional dampening such as moongels, rings, etc as it sounds like you will be wanting to tune for whatever genre you're playing. 2 ply will be better suited towards low to medium tunings, while 1 ply's strong area is in medium to high tunings.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: Head combos.

Evans G2 atop G1 seems popular, any other suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    go with Evans EC2 over G1 combo.
    agreed +2 evans ec2 SSTbatter over G1reso is going to be your best bet for what your playing.

i will tell any begginner, probably dont waist your time trying to tune those stock heads after they have been played on for a while. they get to a point where they just dont work anymore. get some real heads that are more forgiving and more durable, plus they are wayyyy better to learn how to tune on.

User Info Menu

Those stock Remo UT heads are strange.

I took mine off and replaced them with EC2's and noticed that the UT's feel WAY heavier, both in the ring and the film.

I'm not sure of the significants of that fact, I just found it odd that the Evans EC2's actually felt much "cheaper" than the stockers.

I now know otherwise. The EC2's blow the stock UT's away.

I may go with G2's later, just to try a more open tone.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 06-06-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

My setup is EC2's over G1's and I love it. A G2 over G1 setup would probably work better for jazz but the EC2's do the job, especially if you tune them up.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Ok thanks for the advice guys, will try the EC2 over G1 combo and let you know how I feel about it. Really appreciate the help guys.

User Info Menu

I play pretty hard and I love to play hard rock. The combo I have on my toms right now is as follows: Coated Emperors for the batter and Ebony Ambassadors for the reso. They tuned up really well, have good attack, and are loud. They are also durable. I've had mine for almost a year give or take a day or two, and the coating is even still decent on them.