Thread: need help tuning toms!

User Info Menu

Exclamation need help tuning toms!

im going to retune my toms today. wanted to know how to achieve that THUMP sounf. no ringing. please tell me how to do so. I have 12,13,16 with evans onyx batters and stock ludwig resos (want to change them soon, idk what though. might also change batters to remo pinstripes.. tips? siggestions?)
    thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: need help tuning toms!

If you want no ringing at all, your gonna need some dampening. But, to tune super low and thumpy, like a quarter to a half turn past finger tight. Pinstripes would be a great head for that. For the resonant heads you could tune them tune to same pitch or a tad above. Someone else might be more help. Lol

User Info Menu

hey, that was very helpful thanks. what resos would one recommend to accompany pinstripes? also, onyx arent good for this? theyre kind of... tooo heavy lol

User Info Menu

Trying to duplicate a sound you hear on recording isn't easy. There's a lot going on on the record. EQ'ing, mics, processing, etc.

My advice would be to sit down with your drums and experiment until you find a sound you are happy with.

User Info Menu

okay cool thanks. right now I'm cleanig everything and am going to retune now. thanks

User Info Menu

What always helped me is to tune up the reso head first, and then the top. Then I could hear what's coming out of the drum, while i'm testing the top to see what pitch is going into it. The thing to remember with toms, at least in my opinion and personal experience- is not to let either head go too far away from the other one sonically. For a head to avoid overtones and resonate, the pitches have to be close to one another and achieve the same note. Remember that you're trying to achieve a good relationship with them, if one head is fighting that tuning relationship there will be no harmony, no peace, so keep them as close as you can. There is some room for straying pitches to get different sounds, but don't wander too far outside these areas or you will get a horrible sound.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu