Thread: frequency and practice type !

User Info Menu

Default frequency and practice type !

Ok now that I've seen how long you guys have been practicing I have some other questions: how is your training? How long , how frequent (per week or per month) and if you please share your favourite exercise(s) - the ones you'll find the most important / interesting in your development

I for example am beating the drums for 5 days per week and I'm guessing that's around 8 hours of drums in that week. And as most of you know, I'm stirving to get a higher speed in double pedal right now.

User Info Menu

Default Re: frequency and practice type !

Welcome to drumchat Sean! Personally I spend a little time doing drills, exercises, and rudiments. Usually that's my main warmup method, and half the total time spent playing for the day is on that part. The second part, is the funner one of learning songs, beats, or fills associated with songs. I try to balance it out that way it always feels fun but I work on everything needed, even if it's just a little bit here and there. It definitely pays off though, i'm seeing a little improvement in my abilities, however faint or small it might be.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board sean.

When I first started some 30 years ago, I would practice most every day during the summer months for about 5-6 hours / day. The practice schedule then was just playing along to the radio, switching the channel from rock to country to what ever else was playing and I think that helped a lot.

Fast forward to now and I play when ever time allows, sometimes its 4 / 5 nights a week for a half hour each niight. Currently I have not sat behind the set for the past 6-8 weeks because of other responsibilities and commitments. Depends on whats going on.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Like gonefishin, when I started years and years ago, I would practice with the radio or tapes for hours nearly every day. At age 61, I still try to get in about three one-hour practices each week just to keep limbered up and in drumming condition. If I'm working a lot on weekends, the practice time gets cut dramatically.
    I was told years ago to practice with as many types of music as possible because you will use those licks at sometime. Probably the best drumming advice I was ever given. If you're a rocker, try working with some country, jazz, or swing. Likewise if you're a "country only" drummer, kick with some rock, jazz, blues, swing or whatever.
    Being good at different styles will keep you on a lot of call lists. It will also keep you in sticks and food on the table in years to come.
    Last edited by Cliff5550; 06-08-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff5550 View Post

I was told years ago to practice with as many types of music as possible because you will use those licks at sometime. Probably the best drumming advice I was ever given. If you're a rocker, try working with some country, jazz, or swing. Likewise if you're a "country only" drummer, kick with some rock, jazz, blues, swing or whatever.
    Being good at different styles will keep you on a lot of call lists. It will also keep you in sticks and food on the table in years to come.

Cliff hit the nail on the head with this statement.

Being diversified is the key to success.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Cliff hit the nail on the head with this statement.

Being diversified is the key to success.
    Too right he did, gonefishin. You need to get as many styles under your belt. Even if I'm having a break away from the kit for a day (not so likely as I'm doing quite a bit of drum tutoring, rehearsals, etc), to give my brain a bit of a 'left-of-centre' sorta break, I work on all the various percussion stuff I have...congas, dumbek, djembe, bodhran, talking drum, xylophones and tuned percussion, etc. But most mornings, definitely brushing up on reading rudiments and snare pieces with a practice pad before I work on a full set.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

when i started in 90 i would play to the radio or tapes an average of an hour a day, that and occasionally jamming with others made me the drummer i'am today. unlike most i refuse to 'work' at anything, its all play to me and i rarely sit at a kit or pad unless im enjoying it, luckily i do!

for the moment i have little opportunity to get on a kit and i play on my bed and a pad made of recycled tires. basic stuff, generally trying to create consistency between hands, working the fingers and wrists, jamming to the tv, doubles, single stroke rolls of varying note length, and flams, flams, flams.

User Info Menu

I've been slacking on my practice sessions lately and have just been a doing a quick warm up and then playing along to tunes. What I should ideally do is warm-up, practice my sight-reading, practice my rudiments and then work on my syncopation but...really...I just haven't felt like it lately. Oh, and generally I practice about an hour each day.
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
    Ok now that I've seen how long you guys have been practicing I have some other questions: how is your training? How long , how frequent (per week or per month) and if you please share your favourite exercise(s) - the ones you'll find the most important / interesting in your development

I for example am beating the drums for 5 days per week and I'm guessing that's around 8 hours of drums in that week. And as most of you know, I'm stirving to get a higher speed in double pedal right now.
    How long have you been playing? I would suggest getting better on a single pedal before getting into a double pedal.

My practice is just jammin' out to some technical stuff. August Burns Red, mostly, because that's what my band is like... Or, who we're striving to be like . I practice anywhere from 2-3 days a week for 2 hours a day. That's going to get upped over the summer, but I have to get through finals first . I practice rudiments before I go to bed mostly, because, one, I don't really like to watch TV or do anything before I go to sleep, and also because it's something to do and work on.

My absolute favorite excercise is going from singles to doubles to paradiddles to double paradiddles to triple paradiddles and then back to singles and starting it all over again. It's an intense workout and I can do it for probably 5 minutes or so. I love it
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

@ jordison - I've been playing for 1 year and a half. I know i jumped a bit too early on double bass but I really want to be in a metal band by the end of the year and I want to have the "minimum" requirements Like I;ve said in another topic: just some melancholical stuff (melodic doom, shoegaze) so I don't have to be blasting arund over 200 bpm rythms. Just using it now and then....I think if I can get to 150 bmp I'll be very happy about it Actually I have some speed with my feet (for the time I spent practicing) but I can't really reach out for it yet. I'm saying that because sometimes I can do some spectacular blasts but I can't controle those for a certain amount of time. Anyway, I'll do my teacher's lessons (already did half of them in 4 months) and then I'll continue with advanced lessons , with the single pedal . ( but nevertheless I'll keep practicing double pedal 2 or 3 exercises per day)

blacknzr1 Guest

hows it going guys... interesting thread...
    how many of you use a practice kit?
    im thinking about getting one as my acoustic kit it too loud for late at night. and its when id like to be using it.
    i have a practice pad but dont really like the feel of it.
    and what does pad hands mean?

User Info Menu

when i first started i would play every night for 2-3 hours, now i play 3 night a week for an hour or so and a band practice night too.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

minimum 2 hours everyday.. work days after work.. non work days, i practice any where from 2 to 6 hours depending on whats coming up..

Sometimes band practice might last 4 hours.. thats once a week..

i divide my practice up between..

improv warm up.. 10 to 30 min..
    set list or learning new material.. 1 hour to infinity depending what has to be done
    technical exercises.. 10min. to 1 hour

thats a normal day..