Thread: old music?

User Info Menu

Default old music?

hey guys, got any ideas for some basic druming music to jam to on my own?, like old stuff mabye.. old stuff seems to have a pretty basic rythym to it, i wanna try and switch up what i jam to a little bit, get a different taste. name the bands!

User Info Menu

Any Rolling stones song. Especially Honky Tonk Woman if you own a cowbell. Also maybe some early 76-79 punk music. I had a lot of fun with that when i was a beginer.

User Info Menu

I can tell you about that! LOL I feel soooo old in music terms when I see your posts! Besides, I am a beguinner.

First of all: The Eagles: in special there is a disc, LIVE Eagles (two CD's) you can play all arouund, it's just so much fun!
    Additionally, Dire Straits' Alchemy (another live two CD set). It is not quite as simple but it's great fun jummin' with it too.
    AAAnd another one I love to Jam with: Supertramp Live in Paris.
    Have fun! Sometimes I play for hours these three maesterpieces... of old music! (Although I am not sure hey have been overtaken by now)LOL

User Info Menu

ACDC - Usually involve buckets of simple drumming and fills. Try Back in Black.
    KISS - I Was Made For Loving You Baby, Shock Me - You're spoiled for choice in simplistic songs.
    Black Sabbath
    Pantera - Especially their very early stuff.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    hey guys, got any ideas for some basic druming music to jam to on my own?, like old stuff mabye.. old stuff seems to have a pretty basic rythym to it, i wanna try and switch up what i jam to a little bit, get a different taste. name the bands!
    Define "old" for me. Also, what style of music are you wanting to play, because "ols" could take you back into swing music, or jazz, or rock & roll of the '50's, or the rock of the '60's and '70's. It all depends on what your looking for. I like playing along with the group America. Nice easy rock feel.

User Info Menu

You could try slayer :P Not that its easy... but it is old.

Maybe look into tommy emanual. Being a soloist i doubt anyone else would be allowed anything special. And he covers different genre's.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Define "old" for me. on playing along with the group
    You know Bob, the rreeaaalleey super old stuff, like Metallica!

User Info Menu

LOL metallica haha, well bob im lookin for just some good old simple rock. Slayer? nah hes to easy.. ive already mastered is moves

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    You know Bob, the rreeaaalleey super old stuff, like Metallica!
    Hey RD, now I feel reeeeaaalleey old! Metallica came along after I was out of graduate school and in practice.

Lafrin, I should probably stay out of this conversation! I'd just embarrass myself!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    ACDC - Usually involve buckets of simple drumming and fills. Try Back in Black.
    KISS - I Was Made For Loving You Baby, Shock Me - You're spoiled for choice in simplistic songs.
    Black Sabbath
    Pantera - Especially their very early stuff.

HB58
    I agree with all but one of those - Pantera. Now, maybe I just suck, but Vinnie Abbott is no slouch when it comes to double kick and some interesting patterns. The again, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "early stuff". "Cowboys from Hell" or before that?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I am not a big ACDC fan and everyone says ACDC. Then I remembered a great band with easy drums! Get Desolation Angels by Bad Company. Or, if you want one song, try Rock and Roll Fantasy, also off that album. That is the one I am working on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    I am not a big ACDC fan...
    What the?

User Info Menu

KISS - definately. A couple of songs I always have fun playing to is "Strutter" and "Cold Gin". great rock songs. Also "Hard Luck Woman" great to play to and practice time.

and offcourse ACDC!!

User Info Menu

"Lafrin, I should probably stay out of this conversation! I'd just embarrass myself!" hehe mabye thats a good idea bob. cool thanks for the bands guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    I agree with all but one of those - Pantera. Now, maybe I just suck, but Vinnie Abbott is no slouch when it comes to double kick and some interesting patterns. The again, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "early stuff". "Cowboys from Hell" or before that?
    Don't you mean Vinnie Paul?

Anyway, earlier stuff than that. I'm talking their earliest albums like "I Am The Night", "Metal Magic" and "Power Metal".

Although, I loved jamming to "5 Minutes Alone", "Cowboys from Hell" and "Walk".

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

EDIT: Damn it - Double Post

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Don't you mean Vinnie Paul?

Anyway, earlier stuff than that. I'm talking their earliest albums like "I Am The Night", "Metal Magic" and "Power Metal".

Although, I loved jamming to "5 Minutes Alone", "Cowboys from Hell" and "Walk".

HB58

You mean Vinnie Paul Abbott - as in Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott's brother.

Ok then. That's cool. Man, you must have an interesting source ofr music to get your hands on the stuff from before Cowboys from Hell, msot people don't even know it exists, and even they don't publicise those albums. Those were their Glam Metal days, much to their own dismay I reckon.

I will definately give you Cowboys from Hell, a fairly straight forward song and the dbl kick is not too full on in that one. Cemetary Gates is also nice and simple too, although for the life of me that rest during the early section of the guitar solo was a pain to get right when I first tried to play it.

User Info Menu

Yeah. Everywhere I see Vinnie's name written it's always Vinnie Paul, instead of Vinnie Abbott. I dunno, guess it threw me off.

Very glam metal. In fact, their vocalist sounds a lot different than in Cowboys and so on. I didn't know those albums existed until I came across a great torrent.

By the by, has anyone heard Vinnie's new stuff in the band "Hellyeah"?

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Yeah. Everywhere I see Vinnie's name written it's always Vinnie Paul, instead of Vinnie Abbott. I dunno, guess it threw me off.

Very glam metal. In fact, their vocalist sounds a lot different than in Cowboys and so on. I didn't know those albums existed until I came across a great torrent.

By the by, has anyone heard Vinnie's new stuff in the band "Hellyeah"?

HB58
    Yeah, it was before Anselmo joined them, the guys name was Donnie Hart. Apparenlty they did those three and then were listening to Slayer and Metallica (Master of Puppets - IMO one of the greatest Metal albums around) and that was how they were influenced to change their sound. They stumbled across Anselmo, next thing you know you've got one of the biggest Power Metal bands of the 90's. Haven't heard Hellyeah, but I did listen to a bit of Damgeplan recently - weren't bad, but wasn't quite as good as when they were Pantera - pity those guys couldn't sort out their differences. Maybe Dimebag would still be alive then.

EDIT: Just found out thanks to Wikipedia that they are supposed to be a part of the upcomming Family Values Tour.

ALso, just downloaded a couple of Hellyeah songs - freakin awesome. Best thing I've heard in the Metal scene in a while. I suppose my only real critisim would be the vocalist - not a major fan of his, but he's not bad. He sounds like he is somewhere between Anselmo and the M Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold - not my favourite sound, one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of Mudvayne either
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 06-01-2007 at 04:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Correction to my previous comment about the Helleyah songs - I now have the whole album - except one song

User Info Menu

Awesome... I'll have to check them out.

Who is on Family Values? Hellyeah or Damageplan?

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Awesome... I'll have to check them out.

Who is on Family Values? Hellyeah or Damageplan?

HB58
    Hellyeah - Damageplan was the band they had when Darrell was alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    What the?
    AC/DC is for boys.