Thread: carrying tenors after surgery on clavicle

User Info Menu

Default carrying tenors after surgery on clavicle

Does anyone have experience or know of someone who has had a fractured clavicle (now has plate/screws) and marched with tenor drums? My son was in a car accident in the spring. Unfortunately, the break was bad enough to require surgery. I am nervous that he will be majorly uncomfortable to carry his tenors. He has yet to be released for normal activity, though he has been allowed to play them on a stand. Summer band camp is quickly approaching. He is a senior. I am just wondering what to expect and how to help him.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: carrying tenors after surgery on clavicle

I think he will be all right.There are standard time limits that are a rule of thumb as to when bones heal and other parts of the body are ready to take on stress etc..Im sure he may feel a bit uncomfortable but if it were painful it may be a bit too early for him.After all,not everyone heals at the same rate.I would suggest he ease into it by practicing for short periods.Its not good to go full bore into anything after an injury,but its not good to favor the injury too much either.If he has exercises,like physical therapy,he should be doing them even after he feels better.The muscles have to get back into shape and favoring them will cause stiffness and limited motion.Im sure he is the best judge of how much he can take.A bone break can be sore well after the knitting but I cant imagine him rebreaking the clavicle just by carrying his drums after a standard allotted healing time.

Im not a doctor but Ive had more than my share of injuries and Ive broken a bone too so I feel Im enough of an authority if only by repeating what doctors have told me.

Dont worry Mom.Worse case scenario is he will be pretty sore after he carries them a while.Besides,dont the straps have big padding on them?If not he could probably add some more to make them more comfortable.

Tell him good luck and I hope he has fun at music camp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat tenormom! Not sure how best to help, other than to suggest getting him to an Orthopedic doctor or surgeon ASAP(or in this case, released by one after sessions with a physical therapist). Unlike a sprain or broken limb, a fracture needs critical attention and care and must be priority one to heal before anything else. His condition will only get worse if you try to push him into a performance while recovering.
    Last edited by Russ; 06-09-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I broke my right shoulder in an accident and didn't realise until a year later when it healed wrongly. Throughout that year I just carried on doing my normal business, your body is an amazing force, I'm pretty sure that he'll be fine =]

User Info Menu

Years ago I had a separation and I suggest getting it cleared with his doctor first.

Its best to make sure it wont be too much weight for the shoulder to carry. Only your son and his doctor will know for sure.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

i really think you should be asking a doctor this question... lol we are drummers , we hit things with sticks ...
    Tamaholic