Thread: Throne to make it easy on your back?

User Info Menu

Default Throne to make it easy on your back?

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a comfortable that will take it easy on my back as I have a bit of lower back damage. I was going to go with the Pork Pie but I sat in on an air lift throne and found it relaxing. Are there any suggestions from you guys that have used both the Pork Pie and air or gas lift thrones that make it easy on your back. Thanks, Don

User Info Menu

Default Re: Throne to make it easy on your back?

I don't have any experience to help with Pork Pie thrones, but i'm sure you'll get plenty of good feedback from members who do. I have heard great things about them however. I do have three questions for you though-

1) How good are you with keeping good posture while you play?
    2) What throne are you using now, and do you definitely need to upgrade?
    3) Budget?
    Last edited by Russ; 06-10-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ive sat on a few Pork Pies at GC and they are comfy! The one thing bad I hear about gas lift thrones is the possibility of it breaking, but depending on how much your using it/gigging ect it should last.

User Info Menu

Hi guys, Thanks for the responses. My posture is poor. I tend to lean forward and arch my back. I noticed that playing on a comfortable throne seemed to improve my posture as I sat more upright. The Yamaha throne I have now is about 15 yrs. old and I didn't realize how uncomfortable it is until I sat on a good throne and wasn't as tired after the gig. Budget is about $150

User Info Menu

Here's a few around your budget range, and some under that were well reviewed. Might check them out and compare against others you like.

Gibraltar Softy - 130
    Gibraltar 9600 round vinyl - 100
    Roc n Soc Nitro - 160
    Pork Pie round(it sits kind of high) - 160
    Sound Percussion Embroidered - 90
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks Russ, I'll check those out.

User Info Menu

Hi again, After reading the reviews I think I'll go with the Roc & Soc Nitro. My only concern is that we gig quite a bit and I need a throne that will last. I'm not sure how long this type of throne can take rough use.

User Info Menu

alba, if you are worried about a throne's ability to handle wear and tear, I would go with the Roc N Soc with the threaded spindle (around $145). Later, you can also add the backrest for your lower back support (around $50).

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I decided to go with the Nitro. With the seat I'm now useing after one set I'm haveing back problems. I'll just have to carry my old seat as an emergency replacement. If the lift gives out on the new seat maybe the new seat will fit on the old stand of the old seat. All of your feedback was greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Don

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    alba, if you are worried about a throne's ability to handle wear and tear, I would go with the Roc N Soc with the threaded spindle (around $145). Later, you can also add the backrest for your lower back support (around $50).

This what I have with back rest amazing for my sore back

User Info Menu

Have a Gibraltar back rest on my Orange County throne and it has helped my back considerably. It also reminds me to sit up straight when playing.

User Info Menu

Alba...
    For over 20 years i have used da "roc'n' soc (wif backrest)"
    as pastor bob mentioned....i will have no other;
    i dont leave home wifout it....!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Can't wait till my new throne arrives. It's amazing how much easier it is to drum when I'm comrortable. Thanks again guys.

User Info Menu

I have used the Roc & Soc for 5 years now and have no problems with the gas lift. I have a friend who has been using his for over 10 years and still no problem. Depending which seat and company you use is what determines the best out there. R&S so far has proven it's quality, durability and comfort you can't go wrong with that. Good luck with it bro.

User Info Menu

Thanks MCX Man, That took some concern about reliability of the stand off off my mind.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Throne to make it easy on your back?

Quote Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
    Thanks MCX Man, That took some concern about reliability of the stand off off my mind.
    I do hope you are happy with it. Let us know what you think. One thing you have to know this seat is like a bicycle or tractor seat you have to sit and pivot towards the drums. Same when getting off as the seat will be sitting sort of sideways and if you forget that well you will know when you sit on it. Another with the gas fill it works beautifully for raising and lowering the seat without getting off if it is the gas fill that you are getting. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Throne to make it easy on your back?

I have used a Tama tractor-seat throne for the past four years. The model name has slipped my brain momentarily, buit it's held some 250 pounds of 'bro very comfortably and steadily even when rockin' the congas. The one drawback is that it swivels away from you when you get on and off. And, you're absolutely right, MCX Man, if you sit down on it the wrong way you're gonna feel it!

One thing that has helped me is to adjust the seat height--and lock it in--so that, when my feet are not on the pedals, they are flat on the floor, forming, in effect, another "tripod" (the throne being one leg, and your own legs serving as the other two). Helps me maintain a straighter back and better posture. And, when I play hand drums, it enables me to set the congas where I can reach them comfortably and keep my feet maintaining a steady tempo.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Rock n Sock is and has always been where my butt sits! The back rest one is the really good. Never tried the Pork Pie but I would imagine it's equivalent.

User Info Menu

Hi guys, Got the Roc & Soc Nitro throne. Appears to be built well. Very comfortable compared to my old yamaha throne. Definite upgrade. Easy to adjust. Less tense while drumming. Can't compare it to the Pork Pie as I've never used one.