Thread: Drum fill/roll

User Info Menu

Default Drum fill/roll

I have a question about a particular sounding drum fill/roll that I keep hearing, that I just can't seem to figure out the way it's done. I am trying to find a video of it or something, but it is really hard to describe. I suppose the best way to describe it is that it is like the end of the drum solo in 46 & two by Tool found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAg5-zn_qeA, (from about 0:54) or also in Good Charlotte's "New Beginning" here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRKlOnggGR4 at about the 1:20 mark, coming in from the break back to the main riff of the "song".

It's one of those sorts of things that I notice more and more, I think because it is one type of fill/roll that I want to do, so i hear it almost eveyrwhere, you know how that is?

Anyway, I figure it is a combo of hands and feet, but I can't seem to find any videos that break it down, or anything, in how to do this style of fill, so any help guys would be great.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 05-31-2007 at 10:42 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Another example of it is in "Better Man" from Pearl Jam - but on the "Live on Two Legs" album with the drummer from Soundgarden.

User Info Menu

Six groupings or as they're commonly called, "sextuplets". 4 in the hands, 2 in the feet, phrased off of a dotted quarter / eighth feel. Work it up to speed first. You can get the phrasing later.

User Info Menu

So it is the LRLRKK setup - or RLRLKK - depending on left or right handed preference then?

User Info Menu

Most drummers do it RLRLKK as they're right handed and it's what comes more natural to them, but you can play it however you like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Six groupings or as they're commonly called, "sextuplets". 4 in the hands, 2 in the feet, phrased off of a dotted quarter / eighth feel. Work it up to speed first. You can get the phrasing later.
    It's posts like this that make me very aware of how much I really do not know.......

User Info Menu

so does that mean that the RLRLKK played at a speed that there is a split delay between each quarter note or is the RLRL played as 32nd notes and the KK played on the "and a"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    so does that mean that the RLRLKK played at a speed that there is a split delay between each quarter note or is the RLRL played as 32nd notes and the KK played on the "and a"?
    No. They are played as a grouping of 6 (sextuplets). i.e. 6 notes to a beat. Each hit would be evenly spaced throughout the beat, so there would be no "delay" until the next beat.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

agreed DC.... im quite lost too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    No. They are played as a grouping of 6 (sextuplets). i.e. 6 notes to a beat. Each hit would be evenly spaced throughout the beat, so there would be no "delay" until the next beat.

HB58
    ok, thanks. thats pretty much what Mike Portnoy explains in his instructional dvd. I just wasnt sure if it was the same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    It's posts like this that make me very aware of how much I really do not know.......
    I thought when I was posting it that it may sound foreign to some. Just remember that it's all easy when you learn it. Most of the techno jargon is just basic reading. Once you get the basic reading stuff down, it all falls together.

User Info Menu

RLRLKK doesn't seem that difficult to me? What's the big deal, someone explain........ I know if it sounds too easy I'm thinking about it all wrong.

User Info Menu

It isn't a big deal Susan. Just work it up to speed and you're there! The hardest part is getting it fast and playing it clean, in time. It takes some patience, but it's not that hard really.

User Info Menu

Great! I've been looking for different fills to work on and this will be a fun one. I also have been working on RLR L R, LRL R L, L R LRL, etc. I got it out of one of the drum magazines, it's called the windmill stroke, it's very cool. My favorite variation of it is RLF L R :-)

User Info Menu

I know it from Stone's Stick Control. Didn't know they gave it a name! Ha!

User Info Menu

LOL Good at least my stick control book and drum magazines aren't going to waste!

User Info Menu

You're right on track girl. Great attitude... loved your statement in the other thread about playing as a drummer, not a girl.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    You're right on track girl. Great attitude... loved your statement in the other thread about playing as a drummer, not a girl.
    Thanks drummer!

User Info Menu

I came across this fill on you tube actually a while back, and i practiced it religiously, it is really versatile, and sounds amazing to boot! Its a real all-rounder!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

As long as you have the right spacing drum_chick, then its all about working it up to speed.

Remember that it's sextuplets, groups of six, to a beat. Try playing a basic beat and then working in the fill in the next bar or something.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Dang, that is really fast.

User Info Menu

It sounds really good when you also crash the kick drum beats!
    I did a variation of it which was LRLLKK(with crashes on the kick). It sounds really good for a kind of opening beat.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...