Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Djembe

User Info Menu

Default Djembe

I'm really interested in learning this instrument, I love the sound of it!

I love the sound of the one Rian Dawson uses, anyone know what type, and size this one is?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvaOV4RBYDE"]YouTube - ‪All Time Low- Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't) MTV Unplugged‬‏[/ame]

And finally, are there any cheap, but good Djembie's out there?
    J-D

User Info Menu

Default Re: Djembe

Looks like a Toca by the label in the front and on the head.

I do not think this is a Djembe but a Dumbek. ( I could be wrong but I am pretty sure) Looks like a 10" head to me.

The key to the tone here is the skin on the drum. This tone will not be as deep on the bass end with synthetic heads and more tinty/high end sounding.

If you enjoy hand drumming, I would reccomend giving congas a try. Congas have a greater range of tonality but they are not as portable as the ole' Dumbek.

Regardless, enjoy these many different unique drums and sounds.

User Info Menu

I have a Remo Advent djembe. In the right sized room, it can really boom as well as have a nice, sharp crack. Yes, it is all synthetic, which makes it much more immune to atmospheric changes. Keep it in the trunk and take it wherever you go. Or go try a bunch and find one YOU like for what you want to spend.

Enjoy!.
    Last edited by Jack Keck; 06-13-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Pretty much anything made in the last 5 years that is key-tuned (not a fixed head or rope tensioned) will be easy to get a good sound from. I am a Remo djembe fan, but Toca, Meinl, Pearl, and other make great drums. I wouldn't worry about purists complaints about synthetic drums and heads. They hold up WAY better to temperature and humidity changes.

User Info Menu

I agree with Shane about synthetic heads for stability and they can last over 20 years plus.

I own a Toca 13" Djembe with a goat skin head. It has a booming bass that out performs synthetics, but Shane is right that the skin will be sensitive to enviromental factors.

To answer your question, this is a Toca small Djembe or Dumbek with a goat skin head.

There are many great choices out there. For small synthetic head Djembe/Dumbeks, I find the Alexandria Dumbek to be an exceptional instrument with a modest cost. The Alexandria might look different but it out performs most Western imitations of Middle Eastern drums.

Regardless, enjoy what drum you have.

User Info Menu

That was a nice song, I haven't seen too many of their videos or live performances. No idea what kind of djembe that was, but it almost sounds metallic to me. What's with the guitar in the hanging cage?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks for that guys, I'll defiantly look into it! And Russ this was something they did at MTV, so I'm assuming it's for decoration? I don't know haha I love All Time Low though
    J-D

User Info Menu

What about the Toca Freestyle Black Mamba Djembie Drum then ?
    J-D

User Info Menu

Good Video! this is why I bought my Djembe..found it a very interesting sound from such a small drum.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDrummer View Post
    What about the Toca Freestyle Black Mamba Djembie Drum then ?
    I beat on one of those at a drum shop a couple of months ago. I was really super light. Good sound with deep bass and high slap. Not too much mid range tone like the Remo stuff. I'd buy one.

User Info Menu

Not trying to steel your post, but you sparked my interest in the Djembe. The Remo Djembe looks pretty attractive to me. Can someone tell me what size might be the best all-around? 12" 14" 16" ?? I don't have a place to go to play a bunch of them. Any help would be appreciated!
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Wow, it's tuned as high as a doumbek, yet no key-tuned or spanner-tunned doumbek that I know of have that tuning mechanism. I'd wager that's a high-tuned djembe. And if it has a synthetic built body, all the more reason why the sound sounds a bit high and cracky, even with a goatskin-like head on it (and that may be synthetic too).

Turkish doumbeks look like this, and are based on a copper body (though they can be painted different colours, and some may be made of aluminium too). You can also spot them being played by Greek, Serbian, Bulgarian and other Balkan musicians...

...whereas Lebanese, Egyptian and other Arab countries popularised the darbuka, which is usually a larger, heavier aluminium based body, wrapped in leather or vinyl, with a slightly thicker plastic head, or traditionally a ceramic body with a goatskin or even fish-skin head, depending where it's manufactured.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 06-15-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I might just pick up that Toca then And no worries Busyflyin, hijack away!
    J-D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by busyflyin View Post
    Not trying to steel your post, but you sparked my interest in the Djembe. The Remo Djembe looks pretty attractive to me. Can someone tell me what size might be the best all-around? 12" 14" 16" ?? I don't have a place to go to play a bunch of them. Any help would be appreciated!
    I have the 16" one. It sounds GREAT. If you have a small car, like my Cavalier, it won't fit in the trunk. Therefore, I recommend a smaller one.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Wow, it's tuned as high as a doumbek, yet no key-tuned or spanner-tunned doumbek that I know of have that tuning mechanism. I'd wager that's a high-tuned djembe. And if it has a synthetic built body, all the more reason why the sound sounds a bit high and cracky, even with a goatskin-like head on it (and that may be synthetic too).

Turkish doumbeks look like this, and are based on a copper body (though they can be painted different colours, and some may be made of aluminium too). You can also spot them being played by Greek, Serbian, Bulgarian and other Balkan musicians...

...whereas Lebanese, Egyptian and other Arab countries popularised the darbuka, which is usually a larger, heavier aluminium based body, wrapped in leather or vinyl, with a slightly thicker plastic head, or traditionally a ceramic body with a goatskin or even fish-skin head, depending where it's manufactured.

Hope this helps!
    Bottom right, do want! Very nice design and a fabulous sounding instrument i'm sure.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Bottom right, do want! Very nice design and a fabulous sounding instrument i'm sure.
    My drum teacher has the one on the bottom left. It sounds, too.

Can one really get a bad one of these?
    Jack

User Info Menu

Amongst my hand-drumming compadres here in Sydney, a few tell me that the best darbukas are made in Alexandria, Egypt. Usually they have that place name in a logo on blue see-through head, and sometimes they have the aluminium body decorated with tiling or are ceramic themselves.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by busyflyin View Post
    I have 3 Remos - 10, 12, and 14. I believe the 14 to be the best all around drum they have. The 12 is very nice for soloing, but doesn't carry a rhythm by itself very well. The 10 is just too small for there to be good separation between bass and open tones (the bass note creeps in on all hits). I never liked any of the 16s I've tried in stores. They seemed way too deep to be played by themselves in rhythms. They would probably be killer in a drum circle, though.

Drumbledore - Those doumbeks look heavenly! I had a synthetic Toca one, but it didn't see much use so I gave it up in my last Saluda trade deal.

Heads up - I'm processing a video right now in which I play all 3 Remo Djembes. Check it out later tonight or tomorrow in the vid section. "Fanga" will be in the title somewhere.

User Info Menu

A video would be awesome! Thanks for that ^^^ info ^^^ that's exactly what I was hoping someone would respond with!!
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Also - I'm pretty sure the drum in the original video is a 10" Toca Freestyle II Mechanically tuned Djembe. (They must have discontinued all black). The Toca 10s sound way better than the Remos, but I think Remo sounds better the bigger you get. The Tocas sound choked-off to me in the larger sizes. Any one of these will definitely sound professional enough to work with acoustic guitar stuff.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL5KDFwJK6U"]YouTube - ‪Toca Freestyle II Mechanical Tuned Djembes‬‏[/ame]

User Info Menu

Shane; I saw your vids and they were very helpful. I have a line on a 12" Remo for $100 and I think I will pick it up. There's a 14" with a stand for $165 on CL but I want to go for the cheap one first and try it out before I do anything else. I'm guessing I will want both sizes to compliment my congas and bongos.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

I've had a 14" remo for 12+ years. Just recently replaced the head and it sound good. This thing has gone thru hell and it still looks great. For me the 16" where to big to much bass, 12 has to high and not enough bass. I also use the 14" as a good bass drum when playing congas, along with a high hat.

Just get to a shop and try them out...For the price they are great investments

User Info Menu

$100 is a pretty good deal for a 12, I'd go for it. The 12/14 makes a great combo alone or with a set of congas. You won't be disappointed.

I use the 14 often as a bass note in my conga setup along with a set of hats like eskrimaaddiction mentioned.

User Info Menu

I also have a 12" and yes I do think I might want a 14-16" too, but will have to wait. I just uploaded a pic in my pictures, ( odds and ends folder ) check it out.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Marty;

Nice pic, but did you have to do it in nice weather by the pool? Some of us live in Michigan.. lol!
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes