Thread: Music store winges

User Info Menu

Default Music store winges

Anyone else ever had music store winges? There is this one shop in albany near me (which i have to shop at if i dont want to goto perth... Or the little good store doesnt have it, Which also give me a discount for telling everyone to goto his store!)

I have a few. One concerning my friends guitar. He snapped the top of the neck from his brothers mistake. Fortunately it was clean. So he had to get it glued internated and fresh strings. He asked for dean markley 52's. He went in every week for 2 weeks and was told they havent even sent it for fixing yet. 3 weeks after that they hadnt even started work on it. After a couple of months they he came in and asked about it. They said it had been done for ages and he didnt leave his number so they could call him for it to be picked up. (He left his name number and veerything. I was with him) When we got back for a jam the cheap strings they put on 46's de addarios... not the dean markleys. It snapped in the first hour and we were out of strings.

Another time his speakers (proper monitor studio speakers) Blew a fuse and needed a knob tightened on the other. He took it in to get done under warrenty. He said no matter what fix them. Ill bring the warrenty form in. If not ill just pay it. 3 Weeks later went in. They hadnt started work because he hadnt brought the form in (remember there 60kms away one way). So he gave it to them and we called them all the names under the sun. They lost his name and number and took it down again. We were waiting 3months i think it was for a fuse and a knob to be replaced! It was just stupid. We could have done it ourselves but we didnt want to void the warrenty. And they came back with a buzz hum... i think its gone now But they are useless.....

People from albany. Stay away from uptown music. They over charge and have lousy service! They redily give discouts coz they have a 200% markup and its stupid. A pearl ex standard. Normally 1100-1200.... 1500 to 1800 in there. Its stupid!!!! ARG i wanna burn them down!

Now your turn :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I'm sure everyone has their gripes about music stores. Both guitarists in my band have boycotted our local music store, because they can never get anything done. When Jackson (guitarist) bought his V, he thought he had a case that would fit it. Turns out he didn't. So he ordered one through our local shop, he was waiting near on 2 months just to get a case.

I've been quoted ridiculous amounts for cheap items. A brick of sticks... $300... You're kidding right.

I'm only using them to buy heads and sticks now. Pretty soon I'll be buying everything from Billy Hyde in Sydney.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Im actually thinking of opening a music store with my mates that does a bigger range at a cheaper price to try and ... them over because it makes my blood boil. I just need funds to buy a building somewhere so rent doesnt become and issue.
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 06-03-2007 at 11:32 AM.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I had a run-in with Guitar Center, Modesto over a guitar repair. I have a friend who was learning to play guitar on an "instrument" that was given to him. It was a chep classical guitar that had had steel strings put on it. It was a total piece of unplayable crap. My wife and I went to Guitar Center, Modesto and bought him a nice beginner accoustic, a Mitchell for a little over $300. For what it was, it was a very nice little guitar; nice low action and sweet sounding. He absolutely loved it.

After a few months he had a problem with it and brought it over to me to look at. The strings were flat agaist the finger board and there was no way to correct it. I thought maybe the truss rod was broken. I took it to Guitar Center, Modesto and they told me that since Mitchell was made exclusively for Guitar Center by Ibanez that they would fix or replace it for free. We were very happy.

A couple weeks later I called to check on the guitar and was told that it couldn't be fixed and that they weren't going to replace it. They said that the guitar had been abused and that they were not obligated to honor their commitement to repair or place it. I spoke with the store manager (the guy who origionally told me it would be repaired or replaced) and he insisted it had been abused and that he would not replace it.

My next step was to call Guitar Center Corporate. I got a hold of a very nice lady who was one of the big wheels for their western region. I told her the whole story, especially the part about how much my friend loved his Mitchell, and how we had spent over 10k in their stores over the previous two years. She told me it was my lucky day and that I could go back imediately to the Modesto store and pick up a new Mitchell for free.

While the Modesto store did give me a new guitar, relations with the personel there were soured from that pont on. We do not make purchases at that store any more.

User Info Menu

You know, RD, I did the same basic thing with Musician's Friend. I saw an email link to management, and I shot them an email explaining the problems that I was having getting my drums. I am expecting at least a reply from management (I'm sure after talking with customer service, who I would assume would tell them I am being unreasonable - does that sound bitter? ). If I get no reply from the management email, I might try calling, but I probably would just wait patiently for the order to be corrected, and then I'll just never deal with them again. May sound harsh, but I just don't have time for this sort of thing. It's taken me too much time already to sort things out.

User Info Menu

I like to use the phone. I track down the number to corparate headquarters, call them up, and starting with the receptionist, start climbing the chain of command. I'm polite, but if someone is not giving me the answer I need I don't hesitate to ask to speak to their boss. I make sure I get the name of each person I talk to also.

Having been in the military and having worked for several Fortune 500 companies , I can tell you that when someone calls and starts asking to speak to the big bosses, people start jumping through hoops. There's nothing like the feeling of having a regional vice president call you up asking why you let Mrs. or Mr Schmuckatelli's problem get so big that it had to be handled at a senior management level.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    I like to use the phone. I track down the number to corparate headquarters, call them up, and starting with the receptionist, start climbing the chain of command. I'm polite, but if someone is not giving me the answer I need I don't hesitate to ask to speak to their boss. I make sure I get the name of each person I talk to also.

Having been in the military and having worked for several Fortune 500 companies , I can tell you that when someone calls and starts asking to speak to the big bosses, people start jumping through hoops. There's nothing like the feeling of having a regional vice president call you up asking why you let Mrs. or Mr Schmuckatelli's problem get so big that it had to be handled at a senior management level.
    I dig your style RD I myself havent really had a problem with GC or my local music stores YET, Except for some overpricing but thats expected.

User Info Menu

I actually really like Guitar Center. I don't care for the actions of some individuals who happen to work at the Modesto store, but I like the company as a hole. Musician's Friend is owned by GC and I really like them too. I wouldn't want to go up agaist them as a small retailer, but as a consumer I think they're awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    I actually really like Guitar Center. I don't care for the actions of some individuals who happen to work at the Modesto store, but I like the company as a hole. Musician's Friend is owned by GC and I really like them too. I wouldn't want to go up agaist them as a small retailer, but as a consumer I think they're awesome.
    Wow i didnt know they owned Musicians Friend, yea i dig the store but some of the stuff is overpriced sometimes in my opinion, but then again what ISNT overpriced in this day and age haha

User Info Menu

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Musician's Friend. I called them again today, and apparently my inquiries have worked to get a little better action. The package is set for overnight air shipping. Hopefully, I'll get it tomorrow, but I'd settle for Monday delivery if I have to.

My big beef was not that I couldn't get the rest of my order when I wanted it, but that I was getting a bit of a run around. I think what was going on was that they were in the process of reorganizing their warehouse. That might explain why the drums were a day behind the rest of the order in getting shipped out. They might have been in a section of the warehouse that was reorganizing at the time. All that customer service had to do was be honest with me, and ask for my forgiveness and patience. Along with an assurance that I would receive notice the minute the package was ready for delivery.

I don't mind being patient if there is a small concern at the store end, because I do understand the problems that businesses face. I even understand their reluctance to send out the package overnight with a Saturday delivery, because I understand that online retail is a cutthroat business and they work with small profit margins, so they can't spend any extra money that they don't have to. All I ask is that they be honest with me, and we'll get along just fine. When I put the bass drum together I was short one nylon washer for the lugs, so I just went down to the local music shop and bought a few. If I can contact Gretsch and get one that matches perfectly, OK, but if not I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not going to be unreasonable. Stuff happens!

Musician's Friend is doing better at the moment, so I'll make my decision about them based on whether the order is complete once this package gets here. They might still redeem themselves. And I said a prayer for them. That makes ME feel better about it all. Never know what the other person is going through in their life.

User Info Menu

I haven't bought nearly as much stuff from Musician's Friend as I have from GC, but I've had a totally positve experience with them so far.

The thing I like about Guitar Center is the fact me and my sons can go in there, pick up $2,500 guitars, plug into $2,000 amps or sit down at a $7,000 drum kit and play all we want, all without having to buy anything. Now, I almost always buy at least something, but I don't have to. It's a brilliant marketing ploy (IMO).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Im actually thinking of opening a music store with my mates that does a bigger range at a cheaper price to try and **** them over because it makes my blood boil. I just need funds to buy a building somewhere so rent doesnt become and issue.
    Stevo, the words are starred out for a reason. Please don't use them in here.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen
    Wow i didnt know they owned Musicians Friend, yea i dig the store but some of the stuff is overpriced...
    Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend, Music and Arts, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, Musician.com, Instrament Exchange, Music Gear Exchange, and numerous other holdings and websites. When you shop there, you support a "Walmart-like" conglomerate that is destroying small music shops as we've known them. This "cheaper than everyone" powerhouse also uses strong-arm tactics in the industry (I've seen them firsthand working with Drum Bum) and as a result they are in the middle of a huge class action lawsuit as we speak.

Needless to say, I don't shop at any of those places anymore. I can't stand them. I don't want to be a part of this movement...sale or no sale. There is a medium sized shop in town here called Richmond Music Center. I buy everything from them and they do their best to match GC's prices. Their service is also leaps and bounds better than GC or MF.

User Info Menu

Drummer, you make a very good point. I am actually getting to know the guys in a local shop here in Murfreesboro. As a matter of fact, it's at that shop that I'll probably be taking my lessons. I am learning that I can trust their advice, so I'm sure that I'll be doing more business with them in the future. Of course there's always the place called drumbum!

User Info Menu

Drum Bum, yes Drum Bum! Well, most know they're not a drum shop as much as they are a specialty type of shop. So I talk 'em out of quite a few cool things on a regular basis. LOL Actually, they give me a great discount for helping them out. But for brand pedals and certain parts, I shop at RMC.

User Info Menu

Calling up the chain of commend is the way to go. Im not sure about america but i think its law in australia if you ask to speak to their boss they have to put them on. And generally. If i didnt wanna put up with someone i would put them onto my boss :P

Sorry drummer. I got carried away :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Music store winges

It's not law in the U. S., Stevo, but it's a good policy to follow.

I have been fortunate that my drum shop--and drum teacher--has worked with me whenever I had an issue with my drums or other equipment. Truth is I think I've been spoiled...I don't think I could get chummy with a dude at Guitar Center or Musician's Friend the way I can with him...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    ...I don't think I could get chummy with a dude at Guitar Center or Musician's Friend the way I can with him...
    That's really where it's at for the smaller shops. They have to sell a level of service and cultivate relationships in a manner the super stores can't match.

User Info Menu

Ok, here is the deal in Ireland.

I work in a callcentre, and I am not smart or stupid, I am of an average mantal capacity (??)

Anyway, if someone calls in asking for a manager, my manager gives me the calls. I have been working here since the 5th of February, and I am told to lie over the phone and say that I am a supervisor.

I dunno if this is common practice worldwide (the callcentre i work in is not Music related, although i wish it were...) but it is an eyeopener working for a large company that lies to frustrated customers on a daily basis.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!