Thread: Question for the Zildjian Experts

User Info Menu

Default Question for the Zildjian Experts

I finally had one of those "I can't believe I'm this lucky" moments. I was given an older 22" Zildjian ride cymbal that had been found languishing away in the storage room of my Elks lodge for who knows how many years. No doubt it was left by a band that had played there a long time ago. No markings on it other than the Zildjian stamp. I'm guessing this is an older, 60's-70's model cymbal. I'm putting some elbow grease into it and cleaning it up, and will put up a pic in the DC Facebook album soon. My question is, do any of you know what type of alloy was used during this time period? Although I'm a die hard Paiste fan, this old cymbal sounds great with my Twentys, and I'm going to have to add it to my arsenal. Any info appreciated!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question for the Zildjian Experts

Great find Sonorkid! you are super lucky!
    Some pics even dirty are just fine

more pics!
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

im pretty sure that zildjian doesnt give away its recipe ... what you have there is a great cymbal that will last you the rest of your life , if played correctly ... congrats on the new cymbal , it was your lucky day. sweet...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Pics would help, but the most common older zildjian I see without logos is the avedis series. So i'm guessing its an A just due to how popular/common they were.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Hey congrats on the new addition to your cymbal collection! I don't know much about older Zildjians personally, but whenever I have questions about it I look here for some info. Here's some tidbits:

http://www.vintagecymbalguide.com/zi...log_pages.html
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Posting the serial from the stamp should give us a good idea. Great steal! No pun intended hahaha. Alloys... There's a combination of metals used, and Zildjian may have info on them that they may or may not want to divulge. Dating the cymbal first would help. Obviously there have been tweaks made since that era.
    Last edited by IAmNotATable; 06-14-2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: mo' info.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Not sure what the alloy used would have been but back then all Zildjiian cymbals were good, that was before they started this entry level / pro-level cymbal line crap.

I believe if youre making a musical instrument then do it with style and craftsmanship. If someone wants entry level stuff then it can be bought at a toy store or Walmart.

Congrats on the find, it will have a nice ping to it, like I said all their stuff was good back then.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

This page will probably help you out.

http://www.hidehitters.com/cymbals/Z.../timeline.html

It shows the timeline of the stamps used over the years. I'd say compare it with what you've uncovered.

Check this one out too:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4896434_date...n-cymbals.html

Let us know how it turns out.

User Info Menu

If they are vintage A's Avedis should be printed on the cymbal. They where composed of cast Bronze or B20 bronze alloy (80% copper and 20% tin with traces of silver). Hope this helps. A's where and are still great cymbals they revolutionized the Rock era.

User Info Menu

Can you post any pics up here of what you have? FB has wierd privacy settings that are preventative towards anyone not on your friends list.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thats a sweet find! I have yet to get something from some ones attic or basement or closet ect.. but i see a lot of people run across these treasures!
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Like what Rabidpenguin stated, seem like what you got there is very likely an old 'Avedis' Zildjian cymbal, pretty high quality as you could imagine. Myself, I've been pretty much a Paiste player for a long time, but when I was younger, I had a 16" Avedis Zildjian crash that was like how you described your ride, with no printed logo, but only a stamped one, that I had picked up for Au$60 about two decades back.....had a lot of tarnish on it, but after cleaning it, came up fine. Wish I kept it, but was glad to sell it for nearly twice what I bought it for, in the end.

Examples of Zildjian stamps

1950's

1960's

1970's 'Thin'

1970's 'Thin', missing the 'Made In USA' stamp (which could mean, made in Canada?)
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 06-14-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It is an Avedis Zildjian, made in the USA. I have a pic of it in my album on my profile page. This was after cleaning it up. Should have taken a before pic, but was too excited. I was asking about the type of bronze because it sounds great with my Paiste Twentys which I understand are the "traditional" B-20 Turkish bronze. Regardless, I'm pleased as punch with it. It sounds amazing. Thanks for the links and info.

sk
    Last edited by sonorkid; 06-14-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Question for the Zildjian Experts

Quote Originally Posted by sonorkid View Post
    It is an Avedis Zildjian, made in the USA. I have a pic of it in my album on my profile page. This was after cleaning it up. Should have taken a before pic, but was too excited. I was asking about the type of bronze because it sounds great with my Paiste Twentys which I understand are the "traditional" B-20 Turkish bronze. Regardless, I'm pleased as punch with it. It sounds amazing. Thanks for the links and info.

sk
    Enoy this cymbal man cause my whole set up is Vintage A's 70's era and they sound great with any type of music. All my cymbals are made in the U.S.A except for the Hhats which are made in Canada .

User Info Menu

You...you cleaned it? Wha? How could you? haha jk. That is a sweet score dude. Is it a pingy cymbal, or a wobble monster?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Looks cool from afar.

I would love to see a nice detailed picture of the stamp.

User Info Menu

SonorKid...what a find...its seems like the very first Zildjian I bought in 1969..and I LOVED THAT RIDE! I keep looking online for another..of course at a paupers price, and no luck so far...can you go back to lodge and look for any others for me!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    You...you cleaned it? Wha? How could you? haha jk. That is a sweet score dude. Is it a pingy cymbal, or a wobble monster?
    Great ping with with just enough wash Kaz. And the bell sound is beyond amazing! Had to clean it. It just about had mushrooms growing on it.

sk

Proudly Playing

Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    SonorKid...what a find...its seems like the very first Zildjian I bought in 1969..and I LOVED THAT RIDE! I keep looking online for another..of course at a paupers price, and no luck so far...can you go back to lodge and look for any others for me!
    Sorry Marty, but this was the only one. Trust me, I've looked for more. It is a sweet old cymbal. I absolutely love it!!

sk

Proudly Playing

Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

I still have Zildjian A hi-hats, crashes and ride from the mid 70's that I still play on. I wouldn't trade them for anything! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwy View Post
    This page will probably help you out.

http://www.hidehitters.com/cymbals/Z.../timeline.html

It shows the timeline of the stamps used over the years. I'd say compare it with what you've uncovered.

Check this one out too:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4896434_date...n-cymbals.html

Let us know how it turns out.
    Screwy, thanks for the great links!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman