Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the best?

User Info Menu

Question the best?

hello everyone,

Haven't posted in a loonngg time but i have a question.
    what is the best drum set one can get on a budget of about 700-800 dollars(american)? It would be playing hark rock and metal. doesn't have to include hardware as I understand it is but 700-800 dollars. Also it has to be new. So, i ask again, what is the best, new drumset one can get on this budget?

thanks,
    S.A.

User Info Menu

Default Re: the best?

Each major drum maker has what everybody on this forum would consider the best drums for that price. Comes down to wood type, color and hardware differences(tom attachments, lug design, etc.) that you favor. You have a lot of googling and store shopping to do to see the differences that will help you make your best choice.
    Good luck!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

ThePloughman Guest

Anything used in good to excellent condition that cost twice that much new. Not hard to find in these times.

User Info Menu

well i just prefer new.. also it will be my second drumset so i will need something that is durable enough to gig yet still packs a good punch

User Info Menu

I'd look into some Gretsch's (Catalinas!!), Mapex's, Tama's... I say Tama but the Silverstar is $850 for the shell pack. Just a little out of range.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Kind of a vague question.. I don't really know if there is a "best drumset", in any price range. There are plenty of good ones however. Gretsch catalina maple, Mapex meridian, PDP x7 maple, Yamaha stage custom birch, Ludwig element, Pearl vision. I don't think Tama has much in that price range unless you can get a deal on their all birch superstars.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

ok...for a solid/hardrock/metal set how are the Ludwig elements compare to the tama silverstars and maybe a ddrum defiant ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen.A View Post
    ok...for a solid/hardrock/metal set how are the Ludwig elements compare to the tama silverstars and maybe a ddrum defiant ?
    Since it is only your second kit I'd advise you avoid ddrum because of the inspecting youll have to do before buying it.

Personally I would say the Mapex Meridian series. I have the M Birch which was replaced by the meridians a few years ago. and it is absolutely a great kit, very solid and well made.

But every company makes a drum kit in the same level of quality so it then comes down to price and which kit you like the comfort of.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Between those three? I'd get the Tama silverstars or the Ludwig Element. The thing I like about element is that they are available in a number of decent configurations and finishes, but depending on which configuration you choose you'll end up with a different shell composition. Some use birch/poplar, some incorporate mahogany(likely the cheaper phillipine type, also known as lauan). Check specs carefully before deciding. If it were me i'd get the Meridian maples or Tama Silverstars. Highest quality kits in that general price area.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen.A View Post
    well i just prefer new.. also it will be my second drumset so i will need something that is durable enough to gig yet still packs a good punch
    new =less quality

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I am partial to Ludwigs but not too sure what their price is.......but I recently saw a Gretsch shell pack in a local music store in my area listed for about 850.00

I think any of the major name brand sets will do you fine. Good to see ya posting again and let us know what you end up getting.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    I'd look into some Gretsch's (Catalinas!!), Mapex's, Tama's... I say Tama but the Silverstar is $850 for the shell pack. Just a little out of range.
    My local shop is selling 6-piece Silverstar kits at $675 all day every day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    And also the 5-piece config is $599 from most of the major retailers.

I believe the Tama kits are the best kits in their price range because they're extremely well-built and they have some nice hardware on them. If you can find some 2010 Superstars, they're right in your price range and are basically the same as Silverstars except they have diecast hoops and different lugs. Both the Superstars and Silverstars are all-birch kits which makes them slightly better suited for rock/metal than maple kits.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Bought my Gretsch Catalina maple set off of the bay( Sigler Music), around $800 that included PDP hardware. All nice quality equipment. I changed the heads to Remo and it sounds awesome. The only issue I had with them was I had to re tighten the lugs, but no biggy. Something I should have done when I first got the kit. They haven't come loose since. Don't get me wrong, they were not ready to fall off or anything, I just checked them and they were alittle loose.

Good drum set plus good hardware for the price.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

You can get this Tama Rockstar Double bass shell pack for $799 USD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

That's a beast of a kit!

User Info Menu

That's a beast of a kit!
    My 5pc. ECX was $799 on close out clearance in '08. Although the Rockstars aren't 100% maple, it's still a great deal with lots of drums!

User Info Menu

My friends dad played in an 80's hair metal band and he toured with that kit, still has it in his basement. Its pretty epic
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

O.M.G. I might have to take a drive down there! My set's breaking down anyway. 20 years of drumming... My set's been through a lot!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I'd take the silverstars over those rockstars to be honest. You might get more drums with the rockstar, but the ones makes and distributes aren't the 90's ones and don't sound as good. They're a poplar shell, as opposed to the birch/basswood of the previous design. They do have the starcast going for them however.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

hmm alright,so i take it that most will agree on the Silverstars? does anyone know where i could find individual toms for the new silverstars? GC doesn't seem to carry them.

User Info Menu

Most legitimate distribution sites can order them from the company from you. When I asked MF about getting an add on for my kit awhile ago, they said it's no problem as long as it was over a certain price and it's from a line currently in production, which most toms in that range were. If the line is not in production, it's a special order direct from the company, and not all of them do this. Cheaper kits needing add ons would have better luck with ebay, unless you can get your local shop to help you out.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    O.M.G. I might have to take a drive down there! My set's breaking down anyway. 20 years of drumming... My set's been through a lot!
    Get a hold of me if you need more info. I've been shopping at this place since day 1 of my drumming. It's a high quality shop.

User Info Menu

Hi Stephen, the guys make a great point regarding the Silverstar. From what I hear it's beautiful and sturdy; honestly it's the best value for money in your case.

If you still require advice regarding your situation, feel free to visit your local music store and speak to the head of the drum department. He would probably give you a discount on those Silverstar toms
    Last edited by Mrs_Smith; 06-15-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Hmmm gotta check out how much they'd charge me for this pretty baby in Cape Town
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva