Thread: foldable e-drum advice for a tiny apartment

User Info Menu

Default foldable e-drum advice for a tiny apartment

Ever since moving to NYC, I've stopped playing due to a tiny apartment and neighbor problems. I do want to start playing again, but the only way possible is to have an e-kit that can easily fold up to take very little space.

Any advice? Don't need much - just a basic kit. The less space it takes up the better.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: foldable e-drum advice for a tiny apartment

Get a DTXplorer...they fold up nicely when not in use...and have decent sounds..

User Info Menu

Either Roland or Yamaha imo are putting out the nicest quality kits overall right now. Get proper carrying bags or cases for what you get, that way they will transport and store easier, as well as be well protected.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice.

User Info Menu

The Roland TD4 would be a good choice.

User Info Menu

I don't know of any specialty electronic drum kits that feature a "fold up" option. I think that's something you have to learn how to do when assembling the kit, you can practice disassembling it after playing if needed. Hang onto the manual in case you need help figuring out how to take it apart and put it back together again, or else you can google online for a pdf of the specific model you use and keep it on file for later reference. If you desire, you may want to pick up some cases or bags for hardware and the drums themselves for more storage options.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Your only real option is the Yamaha DTXplorer, it is made to be folded up. In fact, the entire kit comes in the box already assembled in it's "folded" position, you just need to open it up and start playing. It's an excellent kit for the price and is just what you're looking for. Since you're in NYC, head to the Guitar Center on 14th St, they have one set up downstairs.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Personnaly i used to play on a Dtexplorer II before getting my TD9 and Roland definitely provides the best e-drums imo.

If your major issue is space, best quality/price/space ratio would be the TD4, as mentionned before. You'll easily even find a second hand for a small price.

User Info Menu

The Roland HD-1 is made to fit into really tight spaces. It doesn't fold up but it doesn't need to because it's so compact already. I'll be picking one up pretty soon.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Does it have to fold up? Can't you just disassemble it, keep the parts together, and store it? Seems like an easy enough thing to learn how to do.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirddrummer View Post
    Personnaly i used to play on a Dtexplorer II before getting my TD9 and Roland definitely provides the best e-drums imo.

If your major issue is space, best quality/price/space ratio would be the TD4, as mentionned before. You'll easily even find a second hand for a small price.
    The Roland TD4 is a great entry-level kit indeed, but the DTXplorer is on par with it and costs $400 less. It also takes up less floor space. Also, there is no DTXplorer II. You must mean DTXpress II. In which case it's unfair to compare it to the TD9 as it's two generations older in terms of technology. Of course the Roland will seem incredibly better.

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    The Roland HD-1 is made to fit into really tight spaces. It doesn't fold up but it doesn't need to because it's so compact already. I'll be picking one up pretty soon.
    HD-1 isn't a good buy, in my opinion. The setup doesn't feel like a real drumkit, you can't adjust anything, and you only get 10 kits in the module. Even the Roland fanatics aren't fans of that set. For the same price the DTXplorer gives you 32 kits, you can set it up however you wish, you can upgrade components on it, you can use your own bass pedal and it actually has a bass pad (instead of a footswitch that triggers the bass). It blows the HD-1 away for the same price.

If your heart is set on Roland for whatever reason, that's fine, they make good stuff. But go for a TD4 at least. Don't even look at the HD-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Does it have to fold up? Can't you just disassemble it, keep the parts together, and store it? Seems like an easy enough thing to learn how to do.
    Assembling an e-kit really sucks. It's a much bigger pain than acoustics. If the plan is to tuck it away every night, taking it apart isn't a practical solution.

User Info Menu

Yeah i meant dtxpress 2. But i tried new dtxpress generation and i still think Roland is a lot better in every points of view. But it's my opinion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirddrummer View Post
    Yeah i meant dtxpress 2. But i tried new dtxpress generation and i still think Roland is a lot better in every points of view. But it's my opinion
    Nothing wrong with liking what you like. Roland certainly makes quality gear. I lean toward Yamaha mainly because the quality is the same as Roland, in my opinion, yet the gear is considerably less expensive. Roland to me is the e-drum equivalent to DW — you can't deny the stuff is top notch but when you compare the prices with what you get it feels like you're paying a premium just for the name.

If Roland and Yamaha were similarly priced then I'd REALLY have trouble deciding which way to go. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

User Info Menu

IMHO it's tit for tat on the e drums and if a small foot print is the main goal I would say shop for the best deal (used is best deal to me) on a small good quality set most of them can be folded to not take up much space when not being played and still keep most everything attached and plugged in !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I have my DTExpress IV kit in what we quaintly call 'the West Wing' of my house - a very tiny space just big enough for my kit, throne, a tiny Fender amp and my Strat and not much else. My kit is set up to be moved easily through an internal door (with the majority in one folded up 'piece') to the the back of a station wagon, to rehearsals and gigs.

All cables are velcro'd (with encircling velcro straps) to the frame with the excess bundled so they don't catch on anything which are left plugged into the control module 99% of the time. All I have to do is unplug the pedal ends, remove the cymbals - which then go into two bags (with my beer!), loosen the minimum number of plastic wing-nuts on the frame and fold it up to then be lifted in one piece.

Easy, minimal time to set up at either end, and no fuss. I am very careful about how the control module is placed though to ensure it doesn't get damaged. If I was to transport any long distances and/or with other gear, I'd remove it from the frame. The cables are all labelled clearly anyway so it's easy enough to put it back together.

I love my kit - many more options than the most basic kits, and much less expensive than Roland kits here in NZ.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for all the advice. I live in a tiny east village studio in NYC, and my closets are packed. Storage is tough. That is why I was wondering if "foldable" is an option. But I will head out to a music shop and check out all the options you guys provided. I appreciate the help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shuklan View Post
    Thanks again for all the advice. I live in a tiny east village studio in NYC, and my closets are packed. Storage is tough. That is why I was wondering if "foldable" is an option. But I will head out to a music shop and check out all the options you guys provided. I appreciate the help.
    I know exactly the kind of apartment you're talking about. Head over to GC on 14th and check out the DTXplorer.

User Info Menu

Hi Shuklan - I'm new here - I made an e kit using an Alesis DM 5 and an $80 set of red drums - 22" bass, 16" & 12" tom, 13" snare and a set of Yamaha headphones. Just get yourself some nylon to use as skins, sew mesh skins, and replace the heads with the mesh - add triggers and you're set. My cost was around $500 with all electrical stuff included - maybe a shade more. Not foldable - I just use a 4 piece kit, tennis ball anti vibration platform 2' x 4' footprint - lots of sites on the net with DIY information.
    Last edited by Rickkus; 08-04-2011 at 08:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    HD-1 isn't a good buy, in my opinion. The setup doesn't feel like a real drumkit, you can't adjust anything, and you only get 10 kits in the module. Even the Roland fanatics aren't fans of that set. For the same price the DTXplorer gives you 32 kits, you can set it up however you wish, you can upgrade components on it, you can use your own bass pedal and it actually has a bass pad (instead of a footswitch that triggers the bass). It blows the HD-1 away for the same price.
    Yes but can it fit easily and comfortably into a 3x2 corner like my HD-1 can?

For me at least, quality wasn't necessarily the biggest priority. Space was...I don't have room for a big or even a medium e-kit, and it sounds like the OP was in a similar situation. Sure the HD-1 isn't a great kit compared to some others, but I wasn't going for an exact replica of acoustic drums, I just wanted something I could practice on when it was too late to play acoustic. Considering what I'm using it for and what I paid for it ($350) it was definitely a good buy, at least for me.
    Last edited by yohin; 08-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Older post and a crappy pic but, the Yamaha kit folds up easily. I think my Roland TD6 would also. The structure is about the same.