Thread: Family band

User Info Menu

Default Family band

The idea came to me to write a song in honour of my late grandfather, who passed away on Friday 10 June. I had a vision of me playing the most epic solo. I spoke to my brother today and it hit me - we should start a band.
    My brother is a guitarist and my sister's (15 yrs) been taking guitar lessons. My sister and I are both in church choirs so vocals are not a problem.

We have been threatening to start a family band for years... I thought it's high time that we act on our dream.

Now just to find a bassist........
    Last edited by Mrs_Smith; 06-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Default Re: Family band

Haha @ threatening. I like the idea, in fact some people make a killing playing music with their own family. I'll bet they fight less than random people meeting up out of classifieds and local auditions. I used to play drums with my brother when he got off of work, and actually his son played guitar too. The two of them knew some other cats that they brought in on the weekend and it was a temporary full band, but that much only happened a few times. Mostly just me, my bro, and his son. It was madness because not one of us knew the other guy's songs.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That would be epic!

My family could also start a family band... 4 of my sisters are musicians, as are both my parents. My mother is a bassist, my father is a keyboardist, my oldest sister can play guitar and sing, my 2nd oldest sister is a vocalist, then 4th oldest is a bassist, 5th oldest is a drummer, hand percussionist and keyboardist, then my younger sister is a cellist. My bro in law also plays keys and guitar and he's a pretty good sound engineer.

lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

it all sounds pretty cool.....the idea about jammin' together that is. Not so sure about the " band " concept in MY case. I have had the drums for a few years and last Chritmas bought my two sons guitars and amps ( one bass and one rhythm ) They were excited. All in an effort to get something going and maybe spark some interest in a new adventure in our lives, namely "garage sound " But the story has yet to be told. I must first learn to keep the Ping Pong table cleared off so I can make some space in a timely manner. I would think that in your case you're off to a great start with a plausible idea and that, my friend, is all it takes to fullfill a dream !
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

There's a certain degree of understanding present too. As some families are well adapted and know each other, it really helps to know what not to do as a band, they are more likely to talk it out rather than quit, and they know each others' schedules. There's still the possibility of arguments, quarrels, and fights- but that is a potential fate of any band you are in.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thank you for your comments, guys. This would have to wait a few months or maybe a year, though.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I think that a family band is a great idea. Nice way to spend time together doing what you love.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Yeah I know - especially these days where we never get to see each other due to work. I'm feeling much better today, though. I'm going to practice my rudiments
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva