Thread: 18 inch kick drum porthole

User Info Menu

Default 18 inch kick drum porthole

I decided to put a kick port in my new 18 inch bass drum to 'open up' the sound. I use a 4.5 inch hole in my 22 inch drum. What port sizes do people use for 18 inch kicks? Smaller? Its a Fiberskyn reso.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 18 inch kick drum porthole

That is a common size for an 18.
    Do you plan on micing? If not, you could use a variety of small venting holes around the outer edge, like the DW heads.
    If micing, a 4-5 inch hole will work. I have even seen 18s with 6 inch holes.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

kickport need 5 to 5.5 hole
    you got a ring to cut it with the kit
    give us some news please

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I gotta tell ya...
    For a split second, I thought this thread was going to be about cutting an 18" porthole!!
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

thanks. haha, nope, an 18 inch hole in an 18 inch head is a little too big! I won't be micing it, but may go with a 4 or 5 inch. I use the hot coffee can trick warmed on stovetop. I will burn an old 2 ply head to 5 inches diam, glue that to the kick drum reso, then burn a 4 inch hole inside the 5 inch, making an instant reinforcement ring. I thought 5 inch may be too big.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    thanks. haha, nope, an 18 inch hole in an 18 inch head is a little too big! I won't be micing it, but may go with a 4 or 5 inch. I use the hot coffee can trick warmed on stovetop. I will burn an old 2 ply head to 5 inches diam, glue that to the kick drum reso, then burn a 4 inch hole inside the 5 inch, making an instant reinforcement ring. I thought 5 inch may be too big.
    That sounds like quite a plan. Look forward to seeing the results.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    I gotta tell ya...
    For a split second, I thought this thread was going to be about cutting an 18" porthole!!
    I know right! Haha

4.5 inches doesn't sound too bad on an 18. It might stick out more than on, say, a 22", but that's only because it's a smaller kick, and not a bigger hole.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I have a 3.5" hole in my 18" Kick drum.
    It was done with a can. Works just fine and looks proportional.
    [/IMG]

User Info Menu

I gotta tell ya...

Jeez.... imagine that!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post

Nice and easy. Good work!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

I agree on the proportion balance between drumhead size and porthole size. Generally I like to keep it around a 4th to a 5th of the size of the diameter of the drumhead. Not too much air as to cancel out the effect, but too little either. I generally do this between the center and the edge of the head. Seems to have been working out so far.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What would a 20" hole on an 18" drum look like?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skillful Kai View Post
    What would a 20" hole on an 18" drum look like?
    Incredible.

User Info Menu

I gotta tell ya...
    I thought the same thing when I saw this! I was just gonna tell him to take off the resonant head if he's gonna go that large
    Live Well, Drum Well
    Pearl Vision SST Champagne Sparkle

User Info Menu

I've got the Aquarian reinforcement ring on my converted floor tom. I think it's about 5". Sounds great.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I have a 3.5" hole in my 18" Kick drum.
    It was done with a can. Works just fine and looks proportional.
    [/IMG]
    What head do you have as your reso on your bass drum?
    2011 Gretsch Renown Maple Cobalt Fade Fusion
    1991 Premier Birch XPK Redwood Lacquer

Check out my Band!

http://www.theimperialband.com

User Info Menu

When I went to get the hole done (the store I bought my kit at three years ago, will tune and maintain your kit for free at any time, if you bought it there, which I did :P) I asked him for his advice, and he said, well you have a 22" bass drum, so I would recommend a 6". Then I asked, that seems a bit big, to which he replied, "are you micing it" I responded with a no, not for a while, he said, well yeah, a 5" or 6" hole would do, I don't think it is a good idea to go smaller than a 5"

Anyways I'm not gunna tell you the rest of the conversation because I can just sum it up. There isn't much of a difference in sound between 4-6 inches, and if you get a 5" its easier to put in, and take out dampening. I regret not going with a 6, I have a 5, it's a lot harder to stuff those blankets in (and take them out) I only have one blanket in there now Anyways bottom line is do what makes you happy. Generally I am a fan of medium-large sides cymbals, small toms, big bass drums.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

The Reso head on my Gretsch is the stock head that came on the drum. I think they are Evans?
    The guy I bought them from made that port hole. with a can I think. He did a good job.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
    When I went to get the hole done (the store I bought my kit at three years ago, will tune and maintain your kit for free at any time, if you bought it there, which I did :P) I asked him for his advice, and he said, well you have a 22" bass drum, so I would recommend a 6". Then I asked, that seems a bit big, to which he replied, "are you micing it" I responded with a no, not for a while, he said, well yeah, a 5" or 6" hole would do, I don't think it is a good idea to go smaller than a 5"

Anyways I'm not gunna tell you the rest of the conversation because I can just sum it up. There isn't much of a difference in sound between 4-6 inches, and if you get a 5" its easier to put in, and take out dampening. I regret not going with a 6, I have a 5, it's a lot harder to stuff those blankets in (and take them out) I only have one blanket in there now Anyways bottom line is do what makes you happy. Generally I am a fan of medium-large sides cymbals, small toms, big bass drums.
    Agree a 5 inch is just about right, to get a hand in there. Not sure why if you are a fan of big bass drums, but want to suff with more than 1 blanket. Completely kills all the resonance gotten from a larger kick.

User Info Menu

Well dropd what are your thoughts......did you port the drum and how does it sound?

I personally dont think there is much of a difference between the 4 and 6 that you would be able to tell by ear but thats just my opinion.

Let us knowwhat you did and how its working for you.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Well dropd what are your thoughts......did you port the drum and how does it sound?

I personally dont think there is much of a difference between the 4 and 6 that you would be able to tell by ear but thats just my opinion.

Let us knowwhat you did and how its working for you.
    Well what I did was port it with 4 inch hole, and with had an Aquarian Performance batter, worked fine, nice sound (was a Taye 18 Maple). BUT, I decided to sell it, when I came across a 14 x 20 1965 Slingerland kick (its in my pics somehwre). Am now putting together a Slingy kit from orphaned drums. I like the 20 inch kick, and leave it unported with max resonance - nice punch and definition.