Thread: Cobus switches to DW

User Info Menu

Default Cobus switches to DW

Cobus recently posted that he got a DW kit, but there's no word if he switched endorsements from UDrum. Not much to talk about, but I felt like making the thread anyway. Could turn into something soon.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cobus switches to DW

Last I heard about his gear, I almost felt sorry for the guy. Paiste pst5's, Tama superstar, and Samson mics. All good stuff, but you'd think a drummer of his talent and fame would only be messing with the high end stuff. Miss a moment miss a lifetime, no?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

He has a big blog post on his switch. He'll be working with DrumChannel (works closely with DW) and now plays exclusively DW drums and hardware. Now we just need to see how long it'll take to switch from TRX.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    He has a big blog post on his switch. He'll be working with DrumChannel (works closely with DW) and now plays exclusively DW drums and hardware. Now we just need to see how long it'll take to switch from TRX.
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

yeah i was amazed at how simple his early setup was. But he did incredible things with mid-range gear
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Last I heard about his gear, I almost felt sorry for the guy. Paiste pst5's, Tama superstar, and Samson mics. All good stuff, but you'd think a drummer of his talent and fame would only be messing with the high end stuff. Miss a moment miss a lifetime, no?
    Wow, you've been out of loop. Up until recently, he was endorsed by uDrum and had a signature kit. He's also endorsed by TRX, which makes some good stuff and is a great springboard endorsement company.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

He is a fellow South African, hes over in the states now jamming it up for you guys... I must say I am pretty Impressed by TRX though, they are pretty hot... and as for Dw? FTW
    I play for God's glory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zildjiankid234 View Post
    yeah i was amazed at how simple his early setup was. But he did incredible things with mid-range gear
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I've never heard of those brands, so it's no wonder I had no idea. Admittedly though, I haven't seen a large number of his videos. I just know he got famous for making his own parts to songs. Good player, I wish he was a little more simple, but he makes it sound good every time.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

He masters everything himself... I am mostly impressed with all these new turkish Cymbals. Istanbul, Dream, TRX and others... They are super warm and dark but shimmering... haha if that makes any sense... They knock the K or Byzances prices out the prak every time too I like...
    I play for God's glory

User Info Menu

Yeah I was really impressed with the sound of his TRX cymbals. I think they sound awesome especially for the price.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nC6-__vlUM&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Tony Royster Jr ripping it uppp‬‏[/ame]

I believe this is his kit. Posted from his second channel on YouTube. Obviously not him who's playing it, but the TRX's make me think....
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    YouTube - ‪Tony Royster Jr ripping it uppp‬‏

I believe this is his kit. Posted from his second channel on YouTube. Obviously not him who's playing it, but the TRX's make me think....
    looks like him at the very end when he turns around the camera lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Forget this Cobus, Tony Royster is where it's at.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    YouTube - ‪Tony Royster Jr ripping it uppp‬‏

That's not his personal kit. It's the kit that was set up for his thing on Drum Channel a few months back.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Here is Cobus' kit. It's a DW Performance Series with custom rack.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MLW29CJqLw&feature=feedu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MLW29CJqLw&feature=feedu[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Here is Cobus' kit. It's a DW Performance Series with custom rack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MLW2...&feature=feedu
    That finish is a KNOCK OUT! Drums sound incredible too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That finish is a KNOCK OUT! Drums sound incredible too.
    A few things I noticed on this vid I thought was interesting. He has an Evans EC2 on the 14" FT and an Evans EC2 SST on the 16". If you listen to the around the world quarter note flams at the end, the attack on the two floor toms sound exactly the same to me. With good speakers or headphones you can hear the mic pick up the lower bottom end on the larger drum after the attack however. He also notes the 12" tom as being 12 x 10 and the snare being 14 x 5. I'm pretty certain these drum are actually 12 x 9 and 14 x 5.5. Then again, he spends his time playing the drums and I spend mine pouring over the DW website.

I didn't care for that blue when I first started looking at finishes for this series, but I must say it has started to grow on me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    A few things I noticed on this vid I thought was interesting. He has an Evans EC2 on the 14" FT and an Evans EC2 SST on the 16". If you listen to the around the world quarter note flams at the end, the attack on the two floor toms sound exactly the same to me. With good speakers or headphones you can hear the mic pick up the lower bottom end on the larger drum after the attack however. He also notes the 12" tom as being 12 x 10 and the snare being 14 x 5. I'm pretty certain these drum are actually 12 x 9 and 14 x 5.5. Then again, he spends his time playing the drums and I spend mine pouring over the DW website.

I didn't care for that blue when I first started looking at finishes for this series, but I must say it has started to grow on me.
    I noticed the heads too...and also thought they sounded almost identical.

User Info Menu

Good eye on the 14" and 18" EC2 heads areFish. Man those drums sound incrediable! I want!

User Info Menu

I was in the UDrum shop last week; they have his old UDrum kit on a rack there, signed by Cobus and heading for sale on ebay. The TRX cymbals are signed and for sale in the store already.

User Info Menu

Just amazing..... I know what heads I'm going to replace mine now...... Still not a fan of the blue though.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans