Thread: A Past Post That Needs To Be "Stickied".....Stick Grip....

User Info Menu

Exclamation A Past Post That Needs To Be "Stickied".....Stick Grip....

Cut and pasted from an earlier post of mine.

I'm actually really surprised at the amount of students that come to my place, having had lessons with previous tutors and rarely has the tutor pointed out any bad grip and posture problems! Grr....this is not good! Which is why with very few exceptions, I insist teaching for an hour, because within the first 5-10 mins I'm correcting posture, stick grips, pedal and seat adjustments and so on. It seems these little areas get neglected because the tutors in question get too preoccupied with teaching a latest style and forget showing technique fundamentals.

Ok, a few vids to show

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVnBCH01syw"]YouTube - Drum Rudiment Technique Blog 2 - The Fulcrum[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZfOLbnBwI"]YouTube - Dave Weckl - Moeller Technique[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiqtelZs_2I"]YouTube - The Open/Close Technique by Gordy Knudtson[/ame]

And watch this video from the 6:17 mark.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEL70rw_Ovc"]YouTube - Clínica de Jeff Porcaro subtitulada en español (Parte 1)[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Past Post That Needs To Be "Stickied".....Stick Grip....

These are some great lessons/videos. You know, I think stick grip is one of the most overlooked things out there today. Some long term drummers of 5-20 years are playing good, but holding the stocks wrong even after all that time. It's not uncommon to see some people going back to their lessons and trying to relearn basic concepts they skipped or just plain forgot to learn. Thanks for calling attention to this very important aspect of playing, and giving it the spotlight it deserves. Too bad there isn't a thanks button!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've seen too many hacks out there passing themselves off as teachers simply to make a buck. There is where the problem lies.

We have one in my hometown. The store is owned by a friend of mine, and I'll go hang out sometimes. I've heard this guy give lessons and he really doesn't know what he's doing.

The sad part is, I could hang a shingle out saying that I'm a drum teacher. My reading skills are minimal, and I don't believe in metronomes (if you can't keep time, get another job) which would make me a lousy teacher, plus the fact that I don't have the patience, but, based on the small reputation I have in my hometown as a fairly decent drummer, I would get kids willing to pay me $30 for a half hour of my time, and I would become another one of the countless hacks out there.

You have to look around for a "good" teacher, and they can be hard to find.

User Info Menu

I'd say the reason no one teaches it too, is because some kids are lazy and the teachers. People wanna play like their idols, but may not wanna take the time to learn how to do it properly. There is a right and wrong way to everything, and some only realize the wrong way after they start hurting themselves.

-maybe I should post a drum video to see how my technique and posture is, seeing as I am self taught.