Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Working On?

User Info Menu

Default What Are You Working On?

I'm working on doubles and singles, mainly singles 16/doubles 32 combined together. I'm also working on limb independance, my teacher has me doing 8th notes on the hi-hat and then 8th note paradiddles with my left hand and right foot (UGH). I'm also doing some sticking exercises, RLR L R and RLF R L and now, thanks to drummer, I'm doing RLRLKK, which is very cool. I'm also still listening to songs and trying to pick up what the drums are doing. That's been difficult for me because for years I was trained to listen for the high pitched sounds of morse code so the drums and the bass guitar are hard for me to distiguish........ Anyway, what are you doing to sharpen your drumming skills, if nothing, there's no better time then right now Pick up your sticks, put your drumming shoes (or sandals ddrumbum) get out that practice pad and get to it!

User Info Menu

DC, I'm still working on the basic singles and double, too. I like working on them and then just sitting down and keeping a steady rock beat and trying to add fills (still slow, but I am learning better stick technique which is helping). Like I've said elsewhere, I am self-taught so far, so I'm figuring things out by myself as I go, and from some of the things that I learn here. I've also started to get triplets on the kick as I keep a steady beat. I figure for eight weeks into my drumming, I'm doing pretty well all by myself. Now I can't wait to work with a teacher.

My one fear is that it might take some of the fun out of it for me. I remember loving to swim so much that I went out for the swim team in high school. Nearly killed the joy of swimming for me. I don't want that to happen to my drumming. I don;t think it will, though.

User Info Menu

this week, I have been working on double kicks and hi-hat grooves. Also, as a standard, playing along to music and really trying to nail the timing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    DC, I'm still working on the basic singles and double, too. I like working on them and then just sitting down and keeping a steady rock beat and trying to add fills (still slow, but I am learning better stick technique which is helping). Like I've said elsewhere, I am self-taught so far, so I'm figuring things out by myself as I go, and from some of the things that I learn here. I've also started to get triplets on the kick as I keep a steady beat. I figure for eight weeks into my drumming, I'm doing pretty well all by myself. Now I can't wait to work with a teacher.

My one fear is that it might take some of the fun out of it for me. I remember loving to swim so much that I went out for the swim team in high school. Nearly killed the joy of swimming for me. I don't want that to happen to my drumming. I don;t think it will, though.
    I had the same fear PB, I thought that doing my rudiments would get boring and I'd just quit but my teacher told me to practice my rudiments to some of my favorite songs and that is really fun for me. I make myself do the "boring" basic stuff with my metronome just to pretty much warm up and then I get some of my favorite music (I like to practice to techno music, it has a constant beat and it's great to practice my singles, doubles and paradiddles to) and just jam away. I also am kind of "self-taught", my teacher is a friend that has pretty much taught me the basics but I pretty much taught myself from the infromation I've gathered on here, the internet and my drum magazines. One thing that also helps me is I meditate (this may sound weird) on a specific beat, something I've made up in my head, and I start counting and then I picture myself playing it around the drum set and you know what IT WORKS! I got that idea from someone on here a while ago, I can't remember who said it but it was probably the best advice I've received since I started drumming. I want to learn the basics, obviously, but there are also many beats I have in my head, hundreds of them, that I want to eventually be able to apply to the drum set. I just know if I stop now, 5 years from now I will be kicking myself for not sticking with it because in 5 years, I could actually be an awesome drummer and so could you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    this week, I have been working on double kicks and hi-hat grooves. Also, as a standard, playing along to music and really trying to nail the timing
    Nice LW, can you give me an example of a hi-hat groove you're working on?

User Info Menu

DC,

Your meditation doesn't sound weird to me at all. I had a couple of weeks that there pretty hectic for me, and I found that I just didn't have as much time for the drums during that time (I also taught myself how to play the guitar and finished learning "Open The Eyes Of My Heart, Lord" so I was really enjoying playing that. Took my fingers six months to remember the chords.)

During the time away from the drums, I found that drum rhythms kept running through my head. When I finally sat back down at the kit, all of a sudden, I had limb independence for the first time. I'm sure that our brains work out many things even when we're not playing.

User Info Menu

DC,

Your meditation doesn't sound weird to me at all. I had a couple of weeks that there pretty hectic for me, and I found that I just didn't have as much time for the drums during that time (I also taught myself how to play the guitar and finished learning "Open The Eyes Of My Heart, Lord" so I was really enjoying playing that. Took my fingers six months to remember the chords.)

During the time away from the drums, I found that drum rhythms kept running through my head. When I finally sat back down at the kit, all of a sudden, I had limb independence for the first time. I'm sure that our brains work out many things even when we're not playing.
    "Open The Eyes Of My Heart, Lord" - One of my all time favorite praise and worship songs!

User Info Menu

well, i havnt practiced in about a week, ,mabye 9 days or so. but its something you have to do in my opinion, you cant just go around forcing your self to drum and practice, which i found myself doing, so i just accepted the fact that I will get tired of drumming and have to stop once and awhile. anyways! before i rambled on there, im soon going to start practicing (again) inepdendance that require me to do different beats that feel awkward and using each limb and making them more comfortable. im also studying a book which basicly teachs you how to take a beat, and do the same beat but add different variations of that beat. so pretty much keepin the groove but doing different things on the drum. and thats all for now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    "Open The Eyes Of My Heart, Lord" - One of my all time favorite praise and worship songs!
    Mine too. When I first saw the cording, I thought my fingers would never find there way. Can't wait to play it for the church. My church has a mix of young and fairly old, so I've been careful about how much contemporary music I've introduced, but I think the young folks have to be able to feel the worship too. I've played mt guitar for the church a few times so far (once acoustic, twice electric), and it's gone over pretty well. Now I want an outdoor praise concert this Fall. Hope I can make it happen.

User Info Menu

Mine too. When I first saw the cording, I thought my fingers would never find there way. Can't wait to play it for the church. My church has a mix of young and fairly old, so I've been careful about how much contemporary music I've introduced, but I think the young folks have to be able to feel the worship too. I've played mt guitar for the church a few times so far (once acoustic, twice electric), and it's gone over pretty well. Now I want an outdoor praise concert this Fall. Hope I can make it happen.
    Nice! It's good that you're getting some contemporary stuff into the church for the kids, got to get them into the praise and worship, it's important for those youngins. The hymns are just not cutting it anymore LOL

Guitars, drums, pastor, oh my, you're quite the catch. You're wife is a lucky woman!

User Info Menu

Well, my call to ministry cost me my marriage. My wife just couldn't go there, and she bailed before we could talk it out. I don't think she believed that God called me, but then it IS a tough concept. I stay true to her though, and God willing . . . we'll see. She's had her moments where she thought of reconciliation. Not yet though.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear that PB, is she a Christian?

User Info Menu

Yes, but she is also strong willed. She's running from God a bit at the moment.

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I understand completely what you are saying about taking time off. After all, until we are paid professionals (like that's ever going to happen for me!) we have other things to do, too. Can't devote all our energy to drumming, even though we might want to.

BTW, what book were you refering to. Might want to check it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Nice LW, can you give me an example of a hi-hat groove you're working on?

sure, there are a few. A simple one is 16th notes on the hi-hat RLRL than snare on two but splashing the hi-hat on the ands.

for example 1e(+splash)a...snare on 2 (keep hi-hat going e+aLRL)....3e(splash+)a...snare on 4(keep hi-hat going e+aLRL)

i hope that is explained well

ill try and find something on you tube

User Info Menu

DC, go here and it is a good start to get the feel for the 16th note groove on the hi-hat. the exercises have got sound to so you can hear what it should sound like. i am starting to add 32nd notes into my grooves but that took some time. I found these exercises really helpfull at the start

http://216.103.111.115/perl/drums/in...=Intermediate6

User Info Menu

workin towards this type of thing here. short clip but groovy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp7MRydNhMo

User Info Menu

Im working on a new song :> i have a couple of bits from songs which arnt really songs off other people i have been taking and splicing and i think i am on the right track for something good. Ill leave download links when i get it more structured :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I'm doing three things at once - well, actually, it's only two, but one of them helps me do two things...mwahaha?
    I'm learning how to do polyrythms, and whilst that's a skill in itself, I also find that it's the best way to seperate my right arm and leg from each other - I had a tendancy to hit every bass drum note I did with the hi hat, and whilst it sounded funky, I thought it was getting in the way of my time keeping. Also, I learnt most of Welcome To The Jungle by GunsNRoses, and I'm pleased to see my polyrythm practice pay off in that

User Info Menu

Well I'm working on several things also. Independence being one of them, I've just started working on Jim Chapin's Book "Advanced techniques for the modern drummer, Volume 1 coordinated independence as applied to Jazz and Bebop". I'm also constantly working on rudiments I warm up with them when I first sit down at the set, and drive my family Crazy working on them on a practice pad while watching TV. After that I'll put in some CDs and play along. I also work on the Stone Stick Control Book at work during lunch.

User Info Menu

Doing a couple of things right now. Working on Double Bass Independence and Technique, as in, being able to play complex and difficult patterns on the bass drum while being able to keep perfect time with my hands. This also borderlines onto Polyrhythms. Which is another thing I'm trying to develop.

Double Kick Speed and Accuracy - Subdivision of note values at a tempo, trying to ensure smooth changes and even-ness. Also trying to work up the speed I can play and the endurance at which I can play it.

Quintuplets - I really want to get this subdivision down, because like triplets, they sound really interesting. I want to incorporate them into the next song I write.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I understand completely what you are saying about taking time off. After all, until we are paid professionals (like that's ever going to happen for me!) we have other things to do, too. Can't devote all our energy to drumming, even though we might want to.

BTW, what book were you refering to. Might want to check it out.
    yeah exatcly! you always want to spend most of your time drumming, do get better faster of course, but i think for some people its just not realistic.. as sad as that sounds. We just have to advance on our own terms i think, and try not to worry about what eveyone else is doing. and then book, its called Drummer's Cook Book by Mel Bay, its a really good good, i suggest gettin it.

User Info Menu

Making things techinical...
    Like Single stroke snare rolls and double bassing.
    Diddles between toms and bass drums. Like This:

1st tom xx--xx--xx--xx--
    bass drum --xx--xx--xx--xx
    (not very good at writing)
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Candlelight Chaos
    Making things techinical...
    Like Single stroke snare rolls and double bassing.
    Diddles between toms and bass drums. Like This:

1st tom xx--xx--xx--xx--
    bass drum --xx--xx--xx--xx
    (not very good at writing)
    Try using the font BBcode and changing it to Courier New.

t1 xx--xx--xx--xx--
    bd --xx--xx--xx--xx

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Working on keeping my fingers on the stick during a roll, double stroke rolls, and opening up my marching roll more