Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum lessons.

User Info Menu

Default Drum lessons.

Hey there, I was wondering how long everyone has or had lessons for???????
    And if self- taught, how long have you been teaching your self????

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum lessons.

My feeling about lessons is this. Take them until you feel that your teacher has nothing left to offer you. It may seem arrogant or ****y to make that call but we have all reached that point at one time or another. At this point you can decide to drive on by yourself or find another teacher with something to offer you on your drumming odyssey. I took lessons for about a year. For the past 25 years or so I have taught myself most of what I know (which is admittedly not much). I could be much better with more practice but life gets in the way. I am not a chops monster but my band seems satisfied with what I can do on the drums. The bottom line is this...whether you take formal lessons or just go to concerts and watch drumming videos...NEVER stop learning. There is always someone out there who knows more and that can play better than you. Don't be discouraged by that...be inspired by that and remember that every day you can sit behind your kit and play is a good day.

Peace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drums65 View Post
    Hey there, I was wondering how long everyone has or had lessons for???????
    And if self- taught, how long have you been teaching your self????

I've never had a lesson in my life. Never played with a metronome or a click. There were no drum teachers in my hometown when I started, so you could say I have been teaching myself for almost 55 years.

User Info Menu

I tried to get into lessons. I had a teacher named Mr Martin for a couple weeks, he was very strict. I did not enjoy drumming as much under his tutelage, it felt too much like a job and wasn't the best experience. He would whip me in the back if my posture was back or on the hand if I was holding the sticks wrong. He was verbally abusive and had an anger problem, once he flipped a table over and threw a chair across the room. It was like "be perfect or don't try" in his mindset, and I gotta tell ya- at this point I was not liking drumming at all. He had just ruined my experience for me, but he did help get me a job in music early on, so I thank him for this. I taught myself from there on out, using books, internet, cd's, and whatever other resources I could find. I will never have drum lessons again, just thinking about any drum teacher brings back the nightmares of my childhood in one neverending episode of trauma.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If the "want" is bad enough, you can teach youself.

I don't think I did too bad on my own.

User Info Menu

Hey there, drummer dudette. Bear with me for a moment, there's a point to this

I took lessons for about 3 years. My first teacher taught me stick control and basic rudiments but got a better teaching job in another suburb. The teacher I was with the longest, about two and a half years, Brendan Alexander, taught me all the basics and more: How to read sheet music, learn rudiments, stick control, increasing my stroke speed and gave me free drumming magazines and two amazing rudiment posters. I have a pic of those on my photo album :D

When I joined my first band, I had no idea how to string a song together as I've only been practicing rudiments in lesson time. Imagine how amazed I was when I started putting stick to drum when I listened to my bandmates playing their guitars and bass on the very first jam day We made music (their own compositions) on that first Saturday of August 2009, and believe it or not, at that point I hadn't drummed to a single song on my drumkit. I just figured out what to play, whatever sounded good to their tune.

I would say lessons are a necessity if you want to learn about rudiments and stick control. For the rest of the time, you teach yourself. Drumming is a very personal matter and it all depends on you how you learn.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I tried to get into lessons. I had a teacher named Mr Martin for a couple weeks, he was very strict. I did not enjoy drumming as much under his tutelage, it felt too much like a job and wasn't the best experience. He would whip me in the back if my posture was back or on the hand if I was holding the sticks wrong. He was verbally abusive and had an anger problem, once he flipped a table over and threw a chair across the room. It was like "be perfect or don't try" in his mindset, and I gotta tell ya- at this point I was not liking drumming at all. He had just ruined my experience for me, but he did help get me a job in music early on, so I thank him for this. I taught myself from there on out, using books, internet, cd's, and whatever other resources I could find. I will never have drum lessons again, just thinking about any drum teacher brings back the nightmares of my childhood in one neverending episode of trauma.

Heya bud, he sounds very much like my first driving instructor. I didn't want to drive ever again but luckily I met another instructor. The new guy was laid-back and used to sing in a band. Musicians FTW!!!!!!!!

On a serious note.... You persevered and continued teaching yourself, which is what you do if you have a passion for your art.

I salute you, Russ
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

I'm having lessons with a really great and patient teacher, I'm glad he isn't like your teacher Russ. Good on you for teaching yourself.
    Girl Drummers Rule....

User Info Menu

I'm having lessons with a really great and patient teacher, I'm glad he isn't like your teacher Russ. Good on you for teaching yourself.
    Ah that is good to hear, so glad you have a wonderful teacher.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Russ, I had a music teacher like that in 6th grade. I had been playing clarinet for 2 years, and we met with this music teacher during a recess period for group clarinet lessons. He singled me out to treat like no one should ever be treated, so I quit rather be subjected to his abuse. I never played the clarinet again. On the other hand, I have been taking lessons for a year from a great drum teacher, and we have become good friends. I still remember that she is my teacher and give her the respect that the relationship requires, and although a friend, she knows when to laugh with me and when to push me harder. Being a professional drummer, I can't even imagine her running out of things to teach me. I will be moving about an hour and a half away in about another week, but she is so good that I will try to keep taking lessons from her.

Drums65, I have taken lessons for about 3 years. My first experience was with a teacher that was too unstructured for me - not that he was a bad teacher; it just didn't fit what I needed. I have been taking lessons from a female drummer for the past year and everything has been great. I would like to be one of her students for a long time. I'm glad you have found the right teacher for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Took lessons for the first 5 years (from age 8 to 13). Not since. Those lessons were valuable in terms of learning fundamentals, technique and reading music. I think they are valuable for starting off with good fundamentals and habits. Bad habits are hard to break. Having said that, this arguement may not hold water as there are numerous examples of great drummers (many on this forum) that are completely self taught. Everyone is different.

User Info Menu

I've been taking lessons since January (not currently taking lessons due to financial reasons but starting up again with the same instructor in August). I honestly love the way my instructor teaches. He's just kind of a normal guy that's been playing drums for 40 or so years. He definitely teaches me the technical aspects. The first few months were completely devoted to developing a routine for practice and really really practicing my music reading and sticking. The good thing about him though is that, well, sometimes I just don't feel like the standard lesson so I've been able to walk into my lesson and say, "Hey, I had a rough day - mind if we just warm up and jam a bit?" He's always fine with that and will jump on his baby (his retired kit) and play along with me, teach me some fills, throw some tunes on and play along. It all goes a long way for me and I don't see myself ever wanting another instructor. Once I get good enough where he can't teach me anymore (which will probably never happen) I'll just cut off on my own and start learning by myself.
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

I started practicing without a teacher in january 2010 and I did a bunch of exercises for independence from www.drumlessons.net. (almost all of them) After 2 months I decided to see a teacher because I wanted to know for sure that I am marching in a good direction. He taught me a bunch of stuff but I was doing only independence exercises and "cool" rythms. So after another 2 months I decided to see another teacher (exactly 1 year ago). He took me from scratch, just from the most simple beats. I agreed to that because I've never worked on my technique; just did those independence exercises but without trying to make a solid groove. Here I've learn to work with a metronome and to get lessons gradually hard thus marking my progress all the way.
    I say a good teacher really helps in one's progress. I've learnt to be patient and most important , to be disciplined. And by that I mean not jumping all over the place but just keeping a simple solid groove instead. I am not telling you that only a teacher can do that for you but that is my experience I think I will stay with my teacher another 1 or 2 years

User Info Menu

I have lessons once a fortnight for about 45 mins. Initially I was going weekly, but I can't consistently practise each week (and IMO not practising between lessons wastes them), plus it was more than I could afford.

I've actually had the opposite problem from some others here in that my tutor is almost too nice a guy and we end up chatting and exploring stuff rather than cracking on with the rudiments! From the start I've spent a lot of time learning songs rather than practising the technical side of things and he's indulged that a bit (not that I needed any encouragement!)

I need a bit of discipline in my learning and a goal to strive for, so we recently changed things about so that I'm now focussing more on working through the rudiments and observing the technical side of things. He's also really good for giving me specific exercises when I hit a particular problem in my playing, e.g. right now I'm trying to work on independence between my right foot and right hand for some songs I want to play.

Overall though, it's worked out well for me. I know from previous instruments I tried to learn that if I'd started out just trying to do rudiments rather than music, I'd have gotten bored and given up. So the first year of primarily playing simple songs has worked to get me hooked. Now I want to step it up and play more advanced stuff, and the way there is to study the technical side of things. But I have the experience to see that now and also a specific goal for the rudiments I'm learning, so I'm still motivated.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

on the kit I'm self taught, but percussion I was in band throughout school (even some in college when I thought it'd be cool to be a music education major). If you are at the age where you still can, it would be very beneficial to you to join band class. A lot of what I've learned there you can transpose to the kit. No, you won't learn some sweet licks on the kit, but you will learn fundamentals, and stick control which will help you the further you get into this voyage of debt that drumming is (hahaha!) I'm 24 now, and I've been playing the kit since I was about 10 or so.

If you go on this solo, there is nothing that you can't accomplish if you want it bad enough. Just practice A LOT, that's what I did and it's taken me pretty far so far (tour, 3 cd's, signed to a record label..etc). I still watch youtube religiously on video's of techniques. Drumming, from what I've learned, and my style is just all about tricks of the trade. Being able to do that rhythm, or that lick, and do it as controled, and as little muscle effort as possible (stamina doesn't hurt either). Good luck!
    Live Well, Drum Well
    Pearl Vision SST Champagne Sparkle

User Info Menu

I have only formally taken one lesson. I have just never found anyone that was willing to teach. I have learned from websites, Dvds, and just playing to music. As a bass player, I took about 2 years. I did take a year for classical guitar, and I think if it was not for laws against murder, my teacher would have killed me!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    My feeling about lessons is this. Take them until you feel that your teacher has nothing left to offer you. It may seem arrogant or ****y to make that call but we have all reached that point at one time or another. At this point you can decide to drive on by yourself or find another teacher with something to offer you on your drumming odyssey. I took lessons for about a year. For the past 25 years or so I have taught myself most of what I know (which is admittedly not much). I could be much better with more practice but life gets in the way. I am not a chops monster but my band seems satisfied with what I can do on the drums. The bottom line is this...whether you take formal lessons or just go to concerts and watch drumming videos...NEVER stop learning. There is always someone out there who knows more and that can play better than you. Don't be discouraged by that...be inspired by that and remember that every day you can sit behind your kit and play is a good day.

Peace.
    I'd have to agree with this post.

The only things I can add is, I took lessons for alittle less than a year and my teacher was up front with me about taking me as far as he could lessons wise. Even though I do not meet with him on a regular basis anymore, I still will go back every 3 to 6 months to make sure I don't slip into any bad habits.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I would not swear off drum lessons for life based on this horrible experience. For every awful drum teacher there are probably hundreds of great ones. I have had several myself. From my first drum lessons in grade school to drum corps to finally drum set lessons with the highly accomplished Dennis McDermott at the LI Drum center, I have been fortunate. In fact, I'm thinking of starting drum lessons again. I agree; the thing is whether you take lessons or are self-taught, never stop learning.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

And even if you're in a position to be teaching, never assume you know it all, because no one does...I'm at the moment trying to find a decent tabla teacher (wish me luck!), because that is one instrument I don't want to look like a fool on, lol.

When I started, basically all I had was a pratice pad and a pair of sticks, but I was part of a drum group at high school, Our drum teacher was a Canadian guy who used to teach and play in a marching band back home in Canada, and all twelve of us were put through grips, rudiments and reading. We were exposed to rudimental playing, cadences, playing together...it was full on but we loved it. Only months later were we put onto kit. In my last couple of years at school, I also used to play at the school dances with two mates of mine (we lived six houses apart from each other) and a few others, and in the last year of school I was already doing a demo with two guys who had graduated the year before my year. I played in all sorts of bands, but whenever I could (time and money allowing) I'd go for lessons with whoever I could find that had a good reputation at that time. I took lessons for a while at Billy Hydes (completed a 'Summer Sessions' 3 month course in the late 90's), a little while later took lessons from an old schoolmate of mine, which brushed me up on my reading and sight-reading skills (he said I was probably his second best student in that regard), then, after more years of playing covers and originals (and teaching a bit on the side) I finally did my Diploma of Music in 2004. Our head teacher at the course was an American guy who taught with the 'Berklee Method' of music theory......he had the inside knowledge, afterall, he was a close friend of Lee Berk, the son of Lawrence Berk, the founder of Berklee College. True story that. All drummers in the course had to play tuned percussion as well as drumkit, as we had to be well up on scales, chords and melodic theory, in order to keep up with the pace of the course. I pretty much thrived in that sort of enviroment, I'd say.

I was talking to a session drummer, Andrew Gander, years ago when he'd played a gig, and he said that all drummers in a way are self-taught because they still have to go over teaching material by themselves at their own pace when practicing, so when your playing an exercise or chart, you're in a way going over and regurgitating someone's transcription but it's your interpretation of it, because when practicing, it's the sheet of paper and you teaching yourself.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 06-20-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

i had lessons for about a year, i would recomend them if you can find someone, even if it'd just for a few months, just to give you an idea of what to do and what not to do.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I've been taking lessons since I started lol. It's been 5 1/2 years of lessons so far. I think I'll go for a while longer until I stop them.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Good stuff Zeta....oh and just noticed you made 1000 posts.....well done for that!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I would not swear off drum lessons for life based on this horrible experience. For every awful drum teacher there are probably hundreds of great ones. I have had several myself. From my first drum lessons in grade school to drum corps to finally drum set lessons with the highly accomplished Dennis McDermott at the LI Drum center, I have been fortunate. In fact, I'm thinking of starting drum lessons again. I agree; the thing is whether you take lessons or are self-taught, never stop learning.

The sad part is that you got it backwards. From my experience traveling and being around a lot of drummers (and teachers), for every good teacher, there are a hundred hacks.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with drum lessons if you can afford them and are serious about drumming. I have learned to play drums by going to concerts, bars and listening to music. So I am basicaly self-thaught which could be good in a way and bad in another. The reason is I never learned to read music or undertood enough to be serious about drumming as a career. This just my opinion on the subject.

User Info Menu

I think what some have missed here is the fact that if you pick up lessons from an individual, you should be able to feel after a few weeks whether your getting anything out of it. If you show up and the teacher acts less than enthused, just going through the motions, and judging by his interest, you can tell if they are worth sticking with.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride