Thread: Home studio update with sound clips

User Info Menu

Default Home studio update with sound clips

My bro and I are currently tracking a project and this afternoon we were in my home studio checking out a new plugin (Tape saturation ) and I thought I would bump down a clip of my drums without and with the guitar and bass stem tracks. Some of you guys already know quite a bit about my studio as I did a build out thread on it...http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...dio-16527.html. Anyway I thought I would post some very rough early tracks of my kit and studio with very minimal eq massaging of the tracks and my new tape saturation plugin (MPX). My room has a 300hrtz mode I have to eq out even after all of the room treatment. I have a minimal amount of reverb on the master bus and plate reverb on the reso snare mic. Anyway let me know what you think and if you have any questions feel free to ask (mics, drum setup, preamps, converters, eq curves, etc). The file with D is drums and the file with F is guitar and bass stem set with drums.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8sqbygabfpkk0ss

http://www.mediafire.com/?8fxydusw0b8lao0

User Info Menu

Default Re: Home studio update with sound clips

Oh yea forgot to add there is quite a bit of rumble on my tracks as I have not strip silenced the toms yet. I almost bumped it down with Tom mics muted as it sounded much more punchy. Anyway, again a quick and dirty eq and bump. Once it is mixed a little better I will post up the final product.

User Info Menu

Wow, wow, wow! I love Omen_F!!!! Talk about punchy drums, it gave me goose bumps man! The tape saturation plug in sounds fantastic. It gives the entire track the warmth and fullness that I use to hear on recordings made with audio tape passing over real recording heads on an analog record deck. It's a stark reminder on how sterile and "lifeless" digital recording has become. I've read somewhere that audio engineers are now passing their masters over old analog record decks before dumping them into a DAW to get some of that warmth back into the recording. I guess with this new plug gets you the same results?

I've been hooked on this thread from the start. Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by late8; 06-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks late8. Sterile sound is a huge problem now with digital recording. It is the waves MPX tape saturation plugin. I was very impressed with it as well. My brother and I were trying it on the guitar tracks and i just did not do the same as it did with the drums. This plugin is made for drums secondary to the sound it imparts on the tracks. I am also trying very hard to kill the sterile sound with my overheads running into a tube preamp (Sebatron) and my crush mic running into a UA LA-610 tube preamp as well. Again thanks for the listen late.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow, wow, wow! I love Omen_F!!!! Talk about punchy drums, it gave me goose bumps man! The tape saturation plug in sounds fantastic. It gives the entire track the warmth and fullness that I used to hear on recordings made with audio tape passing over real recording heads on an analog record deck. It's a stark reminder on how sterile and "lifeless" digital recording has become. I've read somewhere that audio engineers are now passing their masters over old analog record decks before dumping them into a DAW to get some of that warmth back into the recording. I guess with this new plug gets you the same results?

+1 here great guit too

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Thanks Riouel. The bass guitar and lead guitar are my brother and lead vocals are my bro as well with back up mine (I intentionally kept the vocals out so you guys could here the drums). when we finish up I will post it up. It is all but done except for the final mixing on the drums and mastering. We wrote this song a while back and just gotten around to tracking it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow, wow, wow! I love Omen_F!!!! Talk about punchy drums, it gave me goose bumps man! The tape saturation plug in sounds fantastic. It gives the entire track the warmth and fullness that I used to hear on recordings made with audio tape passing over real recording heads on an analog record deck. It's a stark reminder on how sterile and "lifeless" digital recording has become. I've read somewhere that audio engineers are now passing their masters over old analog record decks before dumping them into a DAW to get some of that warmth back into the recording. I guess with this new plug gets you the same results?

+1

Looking forward to hearing the final product!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Nice work nucjd! I love the tom sound and the kick I liked as well. Can't wait to hear a full song! Great work! Keep it up!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Thanks again guys.
    Jordison. The kick is recorded with an audix D6. Minor scoopiing of the EQ curve was performed. The kick is running into a Black lion Auteur preamp which has a wicked response to capture the quick transients that occur with the kick "slap". The attack from the toms are coming from my overheads (Oktava mk-012) which are running into a sebatron tube preamp. This pre amp allows a quick response as well with tube warmth. The tom mics are audix f series which fill in the lower frequencies. FYI about the f series. They are cheaper for a reason I have found out. I am distorting the capsules on the mics from the SPL when I strike the tom so I have to really pull them off of the toms. I am replacing them with audix i5's like I use on my snare drum.

User Info Menu

nucjd, that sounded great! I am very impressed with the recording, and I can't wait to hear the final version either. I wish I could ask you a bunch of technical questions, but I only have rudimentary knowledge, so I will be content to read what goes on in this thread in hopes of increasing my knowledge. Maybe one day I will actually be able to ask an intelligent question.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Appreciate the response Pastor B. I have a feeling you know more than you are letting on.