Thread: Has anybody managed to get this sound?

User Info Menu

Default Has anybody managed to get this sound?

Most of you know how long I've been here, and I've had my Tamas for quite some time. I even joined here to learn more about my set, and other sets and brands that could work for it.

But that's not my point. Not in the slightest.

Through all these years, I've been searching for a way to tune my toms so they have a low, punchy sound, without too much ring. I've posted examples below.

The drummer at my church tuned his that way, and they sound fantastic, even though the moongel helps with it. However, I'm not exactly ready to ask him, considering he tuned them years ago (I'm assuming), and I don't think he remembers.

Here are the examples.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhJwOx1LXmA"]YouTube - ‪Cha-la Head-cha-la [Full version]‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q"]YouTube - ‪The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again‬‏[/ame]

Thanks for the help
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Has anybody managed to get this sound?

I don't know about the first one, but Keith's drums were muffled to all hell. His heads were basically straight coated plastic that I can't imagine provided much resonance. For something like that today, try Evans EC2's, Onyx or Hydraulics. I know those are meant to be punchy. I'm guessing the Remo picks would Powerstrokes, but I have a gut feeling that the Evans ones would be punchier and dead-er for some reason.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I believe Keith moon used Remo cs black dot clears on toms and kick(based on most photos and videos i've seen of him), and usually did not use resonant heads(kind of common to see in the era). They do sound very muffled, although I don't know what he used to do that with.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

These are miced sounds, so if you're talking about live with no mics, you've got to understand that it probably isn't really possible. Nowadays that sound can be easily accomplished with gating coupled with muffling. In fact, on my first recording session ever the drums came out sounding like that.

I will refuse to use that engineer again. I personally hate the dry dead attack sound. But to each their own.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I have mine tuned this way. It took me alittle time to figure it out as well as the head combo. It still has alittle ring but not too much.

I think your basically looking at low tension on the heads. Also a thicker mill reso I think helps.. I once had Remo Pins on top and bottom but wouldn't suggest that, they sounded really dead. I wound up going with Remo Pins on top and Remo Emperors on bottom and they make a great sound without alot of ring for me. My reso's are slightly tighter than the batters but the batters are probably looser than most would like. It took me alittle while to figure my tuning, but I finally found the sound I like with them. The floor toms gave me the most trouble, but I worked with them and finally got them lined out and sounding just right.

Russ helped me out on my bass drum and it sounds awesome now..

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I believe Keith moon used Remo cs black dot clears on toms and kick(based on most photos and videos i've seen of him), and usually did not use resonant heads(kind of common to see in the era). They do sound very muffled, although I don't know what he used to do that with.
    Keith used coated Weatherkings on the batter and reso side of his main Pictures Of Lily style kit (3 rack toms, double bass). The ones you're talking about are the additional rows of concert toms he added in '73 or so, which did use some kind of clear head.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I too prefer the low punchy thud sound from my toms. I have Remo Pins tuned at low/medium tension. Stock reso's tuned at medium/high with Evans muffling rings on all my toms instead of moon gels. This way the toms still resonate a little so as not to sound dead because of the reso's tuning. And the batters are past wrinkle to about medium so they don't sound like your hitting a fish. Then the rings tone it all down to keep them on the low side with no ringing. Sounds good from the drivers seat in our small band room. But I'm sure that without micing the toms, they wouldn't project very well probably. But that's not a worry for me right now.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash