Thread: Tama Artwood Custom 14" x 6.5" Snare Drum Review.

User Info Menu

Default Tama Artwood Custom 14" x 6.5" Snare Drum Review.

Heyy guys, thought id share a few notes.
    So, the basic stats. This drum is 7 ply, 6mm maple, with ten lugs and triple flanged hoops on both sides. Mine came with an Evans EC Power Center Reverse Dot batter head, and a coated Power Center Reverse Dot snare side head. I swapped the reso out for a no name single ply clear. It also came with standard 20 strand wires. The tension rods are very easy to turn at higher tunings, which might be the case with a lot of generally higher level snare drums but by no means what im used to, from my cheapo old snare drum. That mixed with the ten lugs and the way better bearing edges makes it a waaaay easier drum to tune than my old one, and im having a blast with it.
    Being a 14" by 6.5", it has a pretty big, full sound. I personally have mine with the batter head cranked up pretty high, the reso head about one turn past wrinkle point, and the wires just tight enough so its a pretty quick snare noise. Overall, it has a very high, dry, extremely cracky noise to it. With slightly lower tuning of the batter head, it has a HUGE, fat sound, with an enormous amount of body.
    With higher tuning, however, i have to say i am very unsatisfyed with the snare-off sound. Ill attempt to tune a bit more and reach a compromise, and ill let you guys know how that goes when i get around to it.
    I also want to experiment with some different heads, mostly a remo coated Ambassador. Iv posted pics before but here they are again:

Last edited by almostmatt1; 06-18-2011 at 06:24 AM.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Artwood Custom 14" x 6.5" Snare Drum Review.

Solid review. Gotta admit I do like 14x6 the best out of all the sizes I own, it isn't too deep and isn't too shallow so it seems to be a nice middle of the road balance. I haven't had a problem with my 14x6 ringing excessively due to wires or any stray overtones(pdp platinum). The dampening is rarely necessary unless it's tuned wrong or has a bad head on it. Good to see your snare came with 10 lug, it might take longer to tune but overall you're looking at more possibilities for tuning options overall so you can expect a wider variety of sounds vs say a 6 or an 8(although honestly who puts 6 lugs on a snare, come on!).

I generally like to use either 16-20 wires so the settings on yours sounds like something i'd be interested in using on one of mine, any idea what kind of wires they are? It does kind of strike me as odd that you aren't getting a good sound out of a higher tuning, I guess it is meant more for medium to lower pitched stuff? I think some of that might have to do with how low you're keeping the reso head, you should start hearing some good harmonies once they see eye to eye. I'm glad to see you're stoked on the new drum though, even if it has a few ups and downs.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Nice review Matt, and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your snare.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the pics in the update.. Really looks like a good review now, all you're missing are categories and some judgement scores. It sure is a beauty, I love a good natural finish.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Matt, should try an experiment with your snare head a little tighter than your batter head. If it buzzes a bit too much from the sympathetic ring you get from your toms, flip the drum over, and slightly loosen the four tension rods on either side of the snare wires, that's a little trick I got shown, which will give you a nice crack, and having batter head a little less tight will still give you that 'fatness' that a wood snare of that depth should give you.

Oh yeah, Russ, my Tama Starclassic 13x5.5 is a six lug wonder, lol! As they say.....different strokes......mind you I can see you say:
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Great review Matt, and that's a sweet-looking snare!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Cool man. Glad you're happy with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Matt, should try an experiment with your snare head a little tighter than your batter head. If it buzzes a bit too much from the sympathetic ring you get from your toms, flip the drum over, and slightly loosen the four tension rods on either side of the snare wires, that's a little trick I got shown, which will give you a nice crack, and having batter head a little less tight will still give you that 'fatness' that a wood snare of that depth should give you.

Oh yeah, Russ, my Tama Starclassic 13x5.5 is a six lug wonder, lol! As they say.....different strokes......mind you I can see you say:
    Totally my reaction too, until you said anything I had just assumed any of the higher end drums were all 8's and 10's(just like my type of women). The lugs I mean hahaha. There are a few things I would recommend if you are getting just an absurd amount of buzz, and one is more obvious- just tighten the wires and reso head! It's overlooked so much and you wonder why you see so many complaining that it's such an unavoidable problem, and no matter what the closest rack tom will pick it up, bla bla bla.

It can be decreased down to a good level with a little bit of tweaking. The other thing to check out is using a small piece of scotch tape, tape down the far left and right sides of the wire and you should notice a slightly better contact as well as less rattle happening. It works on drums without snare beds as well, although it does come with the possibility of tape coming loose under heavy play, so you will want to check it now and again.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Nice Review matt,enjoy your new snare.
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu

Not really part of the review, but i spent a few hours tuning, and dare i say... im 100 percent satisfied
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I may still pick up an Artwood maple. I'm not really head over heals with my Starclassic birch snare.

User Info Menu

I almost picked up the artwood 13x6.5, I went with my pork pie instead. Good to know I would have been okay either way
    -Steven