Thread: Hearing warning

User Info Menu

Default Hearing warning

I dont know if everyone saw it before and i kinda like to push this point of hearing protection. I have done too many occupational health and safety courses now about hearing. I like to hear. Hearing is good.

So i just wanna warn people with kids again (incase missed the first time)

Make sure your kids arnt experienced to loud sounds like drumming. As they are not fully developed yet, They cant tell when enough is enough and the sound is really painful on their ears.

Many people here are older and have kids. Its a good point to stress out there coz i didnt even know myself untill last year sometime. (And been drumming for about 10 years.)

So teach your kids about hearing protection young. And keep them safe

Cheers.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

My dad made me wear plugs since i was eight. I was annoyed at him a the time, but 7 years on, i can understand why he did it :D

User Info Menu

Well my setup is perfect for when my girlfriend and I have kids. My drums are in one of the spare rooms which I have managed to sound proof quite well without breaking my budget. I would really like my kids to hear the beats so they can take to the drums but I certainly dont want to deafen them before they are able to play.

Also, if they want to play, I will make sure they wear ear plugs.

User Info Menu

When I started taking music lessens back in the 60s I don't think anyone even thought about hearing protection for musicians. It was never mentioned, I remember rehearsing with drum and bugle corps inside in a gymnasium in the winters, and leaving there with my ears ringing. No one even suggested we wear hearing protection. Now that I'm in my mid 40s, and realize what damage I've done from long term exposure to loud music, all I can do is try to ward off additional damage. I wish I had paid more attention to this earlier in life.

User Info Menu

I dont ue earplugs when i practice but i have mutepads sothe volume is not that loud anyway.

User Info Menu

Hm any kind of volume control is good. Im only 19 and i sence damage already. So yeah. I do eerything to protect myself these days.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Hearing warning

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Hm any kind of volume control is good. Im only 19 and i sence damage already. So yeah. I do eerything to protect myself these days.
    Speaking from experience with two of the worst things you can do with your hearing (wearing headphones at a radio station and bangin' drums of all types), follow Stevo's advice...I never could understand why some people could never get their music loud enough--and unfortunately now I know!

Good advice, mate... ...now what was that last thing you said?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

grasslander Guest

Glad you brought it up Stevo42w, we should all wear good hearing protection! I wear foam plugs now, but didn't for about 10 years; what probably saved my hearing was an unusal propensity for my ears to produce way too much wax.(I've been practically "deaf" from wax buildup before, no joke, had to use a waterpik! Now I swab them carefully every day.) A couple friends of mine helped "Dr. Hook" and his band set up once, and they were telling me how he had two hearing aids, and still couldn't hear anything! Not good.

User Info Menu

Hm i also try to protect myself at work as much as i can. Im an app sparkie and im on building sites and that. So i get alot of industrial noise too.

Its good to remember just a standard talking conversation can send you deaf after a long enough time.

I saw those ear plugs that play the sounds thats happening but at 12dB or 24dB less. Anyone know any good quality ones coz i really want these for work and for drumming. They seem pretty cheap from what i saw and had a 8 or 9 out of ten rating.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters