Thread: I didn't know we were this hardcore lol.....

User Info Menu

Default I didn't know we were this hardcore lol.....

WOW! I actually got kicked out of a show last night for being too "metal"! How rad is that!?
    We were playing at this little restaurant for my friends sweet 16 so we knew we had to bring it down a notch but still. We started of with my guitarist giving a hole tingling solo followed by the polyrhythm solo I'd been working on (both crowd pleasers, lotza applause) then we opened up with our cover for Killing in the Name by RATM. Dude comes over and says that we can't have music like that in the area so we thought of other covers, our stuff wouldn't be allowed lol. Then we went to something a little less heavy, Here to Stay by Korn, and well, that didn't go over too well lol. We were packing up our poo after being in there for a half an hour. AWESOME

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear it, man. Sounds like you ran into competing ideas of what they wanted. Maybe the sweet sixteen wanted the metal sound, but the adults just weren't to crazy about it.

In RD's thread about the Dave Weckl clinic, he mentioned that Weckl said we should all try to be musicians first and foremost, instead of becoming "rock," or in this case "metal" drummers. If we only know one style of music, things like this can happen.

Again, sorry to hear about it, and I hope that you guys might take something positive, by way of a learning experience, from this.

User Info Menu

Aww, that sucks. Freedom of speech man, where's the freedom of speech!

Then again screaming "**** YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!" about 16 times might not be such a good idea in a public restauraunt :S
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

well, al least its not your fult, if thats the sound you were going for, then I would take it as a compliment , mabye try something the old foggies would like to.. as boring as that sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog

Then again screaming "**** YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!" about 16 times might not be such a good idea in a public restauraunt :S
    hahahaha Ethel has a point lyrics are alittle obscene. I love the song choice though man that is an amazing song, just maybe not for a sweet sixteen :P. Bummer to hear you got booted off though man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog

Those words are starred out for a reason. Dont swar in here. It will make drummers job much easyer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    Those words are starred out for a reason. Dont swar in here. It will make drummers job much easyer.
    Was a quote though man how else was he suppose to say it? Direct quote wouldnt have made sense if he didnt say it as a direct quote. Im all for not swearing in here thats fine but if its a quote and an important part of a quote then why does it have to be changed? No disrespect just stating my opinion bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    I know the words are starred out for a reason - it's pretty much why I said that I could understand why they had to leave, but I was just bummed that they weren't allowed to play what they wanted to. I'm sorry, I just couldn't think of any other way to quote that line.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Ahhh 32nd, I have so much respect for you now.

Our band got kicked out of the church where we used to practice for being too "metal". It was awesome.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cool I didn't know we were this hardcore lol.....

32nd, you have just earned your first major war story!

Big fives to ya!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck