Thread: Fast change sticks to brushes to sticks

User Info Menu

Default Fast change sticks to brushes to sticks

I have a number of songs where I have to change from brushes to sticks or vice versa in a very short time, like in course of one beat. I've been listening to Jeff Hamilton and he does it amazingly fast and I saw a video once where he keeps the sticks and brushes between his legs, shoved between the thigh and the seat. For reasons of body shape that doesn't work for me. I have a trap tray that I can attach to my hi hat that helps but I find that sometimes I have to switch with the right instead of the left. I could just the floor tom to rest stuff on but sometimes I need it.

I have also tried double ended stick/brushes and they are not particularly good at being sticks.

Anyway, I'm interested in how you all have tried to solve this. Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fast change sticks to brushes to sticks

fjsjr, there is no real good solution...maybe a holder mounted on BD so you don't have to cross hand? and I have used the brush with the plastic ball on pull end..but as you said its not a good stick stand in. good luck as with everything drumming..its in the timing!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Lay the ones you are not useing at the time on your floor tom. If you have to switch one at a time while playing you can try that. At least thats how I do it. I am actually going to pick up some of those double end stick/brush.
    Sometimes I need the stick on the cymbal and brush on the snare and vice versa. Or when I need a rim tick on snare and brush on cymbal Instead of holding a stick and a brush.

User Info Menu

Ahead makes unique combinations of sticks. Maybe they have something that would work for you.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

My 2 cents. Stay away from these:

I received the Vater Wooden Handle Wire Brush for my birthday and it lasted for only a month. All of the brush wires fell out of the wooden stick during play and I was left with a handful of wires in my hand and the stick came flying out across the room

User Info Menu

^^ I agree late. I had a pair of combo sticks a long time ago. They were half wooden stick and half brush. Nice idea in theory, but they just didn't have the balance of a normal stick. There was no weight behind the swing of the bat so to speak.
    fjsjr45, why not meet in the middle and get some hot rods?
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......