Thread: Newbie lessons question

User Info Menu

Default Newbie lessons question

Hi, i'm new to the drums and at 39 bit a of a late starter! I purchased a dtxplorer 2 months ago, thought i would try it out see if i like the whole drumming thing and i do. is the dtxplorer ok to begin lessons on and if so would it be better to find a teacher with e drums or would i be ok with acoustic kit lessons?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie lessons question

Drums are drums. It shouldn't matter if you learn on an e-kit or acoustic kit. The only thing that is going to be different is feel. Everything else will be the same. I believe. I've only played an e-kit a few times and I could play it just as well as my acoustic kit.

User Info Menu

Thanks, never tried an acoustic kit so wasnt sure

User Info Menu

I teach at a school who has the TDXpress. I hate it so much but I think that's more the job than the equipment haha.

Good beginner kit and it'll make you appreciate any other kits when you get one haha.

Good luck my friend!

User Info Menu

Hey Dodge, welcome to the chat! IMHO I believe you picked right one to start on..the acoustic..now I don't want the e-drum players mad at me..but it takes a bit of experience to use and appreciate edrums and the necessary equip. so practice, practice practice and enjoy those as you will not doubt grow into another set quickly! we all did
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Your rebound is going to be different. I spend 98% of my time on an e-kit actually a yamaha too. and I can feel a big difference in the "feel" when I get a chance to set up my acoustics and go for it. but all truth be told. its not much more differnece than the feel of a tightly tuned marching snare comparted to playing an 18" floor tom .. its different .. .. but not so different I cant bring any skills i have from one to the other and I only notice if I look for it.

so in short .. great choice you could play for a bazillion years(yes thats the technical term for it) and keep that e-kit around for practice.

what I would try to do if I was you is find an instructor that teaches on an acoustic so you, at least once a week, get to feel normally skinned drums.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Well, I am using an e-kit for practice and see an instructor once a week where I play on his acustic drums. I sugest you do the same. The e-kit it's ok for practice and you can really do your weekly "homework" without any problems but you must play on acustic drums as well. You have to accomodate to that feeling as well because , probably, that's how you are gonna play the drums. Oh boy I can hardly wait to go to my teacher every week just to blast those beats acoustically

User Info Menu

Hey Dodge39 welcome to drum chat , I'm new to the site too. Good luck with it all....
    Girl Drummers Rule....

User Info Menu

Welcome to the DC Dodge39. You are never to old to start drumming. Nothing wrong with the e-kit as a starter kit. I personaly never played a e-kit but they are ok to learn on. The difference between the accoustic and the e-kit is that you have to make your own sound with the accoustics ( tuning, changing heads etc) while the e-kit is programed with different drum sounds. You may be learning how to play the drums but you are missing out on the most important part of drumming which is tuning. Keep on drumming and have fun doing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Welcome to the DC Dodge39. You are never to old to start drumming. Nothing wrong with the e-kit as a starter kit. I personaly never played a e-kit but they are ok to learn on. The difference between the accoustic and the e-kit is that you have to make your own sound with the accoustics ( tuning, changing heads etc) while the e-kit is programed with different drum sounds. You may be learning how to play the drums but you are missing out on the most important part of drumming which is tuning. Keep on drumming and have fun doing it.
    I thought drumming was the most important part of drumming! Huh, who'd a thunk it?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice and welcome, all. The teacher with an acoustic kit sound a good road to go down. Now to find the poor unfortunate tutor who has to teach me!

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat dodge! E kits are okay for some things, bad for others. Anything requiring a certain dynamic element to it, like soft playing probably won't work out too well. Most e-kits, unless they are high dollar ones have a minimum for how much force you must use. Strokes with less force than this minimum won't be picked up by the triggers, so you will have to do a little fiddling around with the settings to find the sweet spot. I still wouldn't say it's bad to learn on an e-kit necessarily, just different. You can learn some new concepts like tuning, sounds of different heads, dampening, how a room affects a drum sound, maintenance of kit/hardware/cymbals, at a later point if you want. It's better than having nothing to play, by a long shot. It's kind of nice having the kit set up and ready to go when you want to practice, and avoiding noise complaints. Really comes in handy in certain situations.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge39 View Post
    Thanks for the advice and welcome, all. The teacher with an acoustic kit sound a good road to go down. Now to find the poor unfortunate tutor who has to teach me!
    im 30 and only starting meself....bought a acoustic set and gonna go wit the flow and see what happens!!