Thread: remo black suede

User Info Menu

Default remo black suede

i have been away for a while and just starting back up. i saw remo's black suede emperors and was thinking of trying them out. i have always used clear emps. on my toms and i like a lower fater tuning / sound.
    as for the snare has anyone used the black suede snare reso combined with any batter, especially the black x batter?
    does anybody have any expeerience with these? any feed back would be helpful. i did a search and found some people saying they used them and that they were between a clear and coated type of sound. anybody care to add?
    also i have been considering trying clear emperors ot even black suede ambasadors as a reso head. again to get a deeper sound with less ring. any one have any feelings on this? i have always used clear ambasador as reso heads.
    any help, comments or musings appreciated.
    ps - i only use remo for the toms and snare, the kick is always aquarian super kick2/regulator. i know i am weird but i am brand loyal because they have never let me down.

User Info Menu

Default Re: remo black suede

Oh no! A Remo-ist in a sea of Evan(s)-galists
    Just kidding, Remo makes great heads! But I've never used suedes(well, had suede shoes once!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Oh no! A Remo-ist in a sea of Evan(s)-galists
    Just kidding, Remo makes great heads! But I've never used suedes(well, had suede shoes once!).
    those shoes better have been blue

User Info Menu

I have the remo black suede on my little squeeler. i still have the stock pork pie reso head. i used to use just a coated ambassador head. i just didn't know anything else. but then i saw a video of travis orbin using the black suede on one of his snares, so i decided to buy it and try it out. im in love with my snare now. i have the head cranked pretty hard. which gives it a nice pop still, but the head darkens the snares tone, which is cool sounding too. it loses a bit of sensitivity cuz the head is 2 ply, but its not even noticable. never had another head on the reso tho, i say experiment and try it out!
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drmn4life View Post
    I have the remo black suede on my little squeeler. i still have the stock pork pie reso head. i used to use just a coated ambassador head. i just didn't know anything else. but then i saw a video of travis orbin using the black suede on one of his snares, so i decided to buy it and try it out. im in love with my snare now. i have the head cranked pretty hard. which gives it a nice pop still, but the head darkens the snares tone, which is cool sounding too. it loses a bit of sensitivity cuz the head is 2 ply, but its not even noticable. never had another head on the reso tho, i say experiment and try it out!
    thanks! i never worry much about the sensitivity difference between single and 2ply batters because of the sound and tuning i like. i have pretty much always used 2ply. i think i am going to start with the x batter and black suede s.s. for the snare. and the black suede emps for batters and ebony or clear ambasadors on the resonants for the toms. when i get 'em all on the kit in a few weeks i post a review.

User Info Menu

sweet! good luck mang!
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

Have tried them before on a test drum. I thought they resembled emperors, just a little thicker and darker feeling like you can imagine with most black heads. I think it's a growing trend, one company thinks of an idea for a design and then it's stolen from another company. I will say they are great heads if you've been really wanting a lower possible pitch out of your drums, without actually buying bigger drums for a lower fundamental tone.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Have tried them before on a test drum. I thought they resembled emperors, just a little thicker and darker feeling like you can imagine with most black heads. I think it's a growing trend, one company thinks of an idea for a design and then it's stolen from another company. I will say they are great heads if you've been really wanting a lower possible pitch out of your drums, without actually buying bigger drums for a lower fundamental tone.
    thanks bro. i know what you mean about the copying. it has been that way forever. when i worked at gc no matter who came out with something a few months later every company would have something simmilar. it's sad but it seems that is the staus quo these days. music is the same way. a band debuts on a label and breaks big, next thing you know a few bands that all sound simmilar are out on other labels. it's a sad state.

User Info Menu

the only difference to me is the color.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrt30004 View Post
    thanks bro. i know what you mean about the copying. it has been that way forever. when i worked at gc no matter who came out with something a few months later every company would have something simmilar. it's sad but it seems that is the staus quo these days. music is the same way. a band debuts on a label and breaks big, next thing you know a few bands that all sound simmilar are out on other labels. it's a sad state.
    Ugh, that is the WORST. I think thats why I don't like August Burns Red. They are local to my area and EVERY metal band in the greater Harrisburg/Lancaster area sounds just like them. It annoys me to no end.

Except my band...we do our metal southern style. Slow and heavy wins the race.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    the only difference to me is the color.
    that's an intersting opinion. you're the first to say it and it's what i thought when i first read about them. they sound like they'd be black coated emperors instead of white. but then as i poked around i found more and more people saying they were a little deeper and darker. have you tried them or only heard them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post

Except my band...we do our metal southern style. Slow and heavy wins the race.
    nice! i have always prefered my metal closer to clutch - especially the old stuff. slow and heavy just sounds better to me than 7000000 bpm and sreaming that i can't understand. but then again i am a little older what the hell do i know socrates, "the only tue wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing"

User Info Menu

nice! i have always prefered my metal closer to clutch - especially the old stuff. slow and heavy just sounds better to me than 7000000 bpm and sreaming that i can't understand. but then again i am a little older what the hell do i know socrates, "the only tue wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing"
    I saw Clutch a few weeks ago. They were awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I saw Clutch a few weeks ago. They were awesome.
    yes, yes they are. (said in my best mad scientist / evil genius voice)

User Info Menu

that's an intersting opinion. you're the first to say it and it's what i thought when i first read about them. they sound like they'd be black coated emperors instead of white. but then as i poked around i found more and more people saying they were a little deeper and darker. have you tried them or only heard them?
    No never tried them but going by Remos Emperors which are 2 ply coated to me it just made sense that just because they are black that they would sound the same. Maybe the texture would change the sound of which I am not sure of. Got to go whith those that have them.