• SENNHEISER E902

1 7.69%
  • AKG D112

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Kick Drum Mic would you pic

User Info Menu

Default Which Kick Drum Mic would you pic

Please help me, I will have a budget of maybe $200 for one of the following. Please pick only one of these (no others, I find it extremely annoying when people mention other items not on the specified list.) Thank you.

1. Shure 52A
    2. Audix D6
    3. Sennheiser E902
    4. AKG D112
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Kick Drum Mic would you pic

Sennheiser e902, but the Shure Beta 52(I assume you meant this) would be a runner up. I hate the sound of d6's and d112's, they sound clickish or boxy in some of the recordings i've heard so far. Sennheiser really is good at making certain mics that capture low end, just haven't totally loved the sound from some mics I guess. It's very possible that they weren't mixed or positioned right, or the drums were tuned bad, or any number of variables- but on kick and larger drums like floor toms Sennheiser really pleases my ears. The Shure is also very good though, although I think their strongest area is sm57 for snares and rack toms. Certain mics are just better at certain tasks than others. If you are incredibly lucky though, you might be able to find a good used Sennheiser 421 which I would definitely use on kick or floor toms. I don't think i've ever heard a better mic on kick than a 421.
    Last edited by Russ; 06-22-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

In order (I'm assuming 'live', not studio...)...

1-AKG
    2-Shure (but close, no problems; a surefire value...)
    3-Sennheiser
    4-Audix (but less experience with this...)

I use a Superlux built in to the BD, as I have unported heads (just saying...)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Here is a link to a good discussion with sound clips of the above mics...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...e902-kick.html

I prefer the d6. It is a good rock/ metal sound with a quick transient and the center scooped out. The Sennheiser IMHO better with jazz, fusion, etc. Depends on what you are going for. If you want to hear the d6 check out my sound clip I posted a few days ago in this section. It has 60 hrtz boosted and that is it (save the tape saturation plugin).

User Info Menu

Thank you for your opinions. I will be using it to record at home and will be using it at the hole in my ported bass drum. I will be playing mainly, rock, punk, metal and some pop. I hope this helps others choose which they think is best.

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

might help you can tell us how far you are willing to go with this....!

do you have monitors and a good io?

User Info Menu

I am willing to go as far as I can with this. At the moment I dont have any recording equipment so I am starting from scratch. I will be starting with buying a video camera then buying the rest peice by peice as I want to buy quality not quantity. I have read gearslutz and a few other forums but as I consider you all my friends I hope that you can help.

My parents in law have kindly given me some space in their basement to have drums and make recordings and even have mates over and jam with. I will get made redundant later this year and plan on emigrating to the USA as my wife is American. So I will be getting a new kit, camera, mics, computer and all the other necessary equipment but I have to start from scratch as cant ship all my stuff across the ocean.

So I am starting thinking about the mics as I have decidied on the drum kit, cymbals and hardware. I have a mixer in mind and know what computer and software I want. So I am starting with the kick drum mic and hope you can help me pick from the four above.

Thanks again all

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

i would look at the SHURE DMK57-52 DRUM MIC KIT

3 sm57's and a beta 52a...its pritty good value

its easy to waste cash on recording equipment ...so take your time do lots of research

User Info Menu

I'm for the Sure 52A can't go wrong with that name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Sennheiser e902, but the Shure Beta 52(I assume you meant this) would be a runner up. I hate the sound of d6's and d112's, they sound clickish or boxy in some of the recordings i've heard so far. Sennheiser really is good at making certain mics that capture low end, just haven't totally loved the sound from some mics I guess. It's very possible that they weren't mixed or positioned right, or the drums were tuned bad, or any number of variables- but on kick and larger drums like floor toms Sennheiser really pleases my ears. The Shure is also very good though, although I think their strongest area is sm57 for snares and rack toms. Certain mics are just better at certain tasks than others. If you are incredibly lucky though, you might be able to find a good used Sennheiser 421 which I would definitely use on kick or floor toms. I don't think i've ever heard a better mic on kick than a 421.
    Russ, the D6 is designed to sound clickish dude! The engineers who designed this kick mic has specifically selected a freq. range to highlight the attack of the beater. Either you hate this mic or love it.

Here's a comparison chart to show the differences between three popular kick mics. The red box respresents the low freq. of the bass drum or boominess. Notice how the curve at the low end of the D6's freq chart is sharper than the other two mics? That's the "punch" this mic give you right off the bat. If you look at the yellow box, this is what your objection is to the D6. Notice how the high freq range is longer and higher on the D6? Metal drummers LOVE this EQ range because most kick mics are not set up to capture this "attack" from the beater. Some say using the D6 mic makes the kick sound like it's triggered which is a positive plus for modern metal music!

User Info Menu

For me its between the AKG and the BETA
    Both excellent mics for both recording and Live
    I play for God's glory

User Info Menu

Agree with late. The d6 is designed to sound a certain way. This really helps as most recording engineers will tell you they scoop the crap out of the EQ curve on the bass mic. Remember this frequency range competes directly the bass guitar and if you boost it because it sounds good with the kit sitting by itself in the mix then I can pretty much guarantee it will sound like garbage once you add bass guitar, lead guitar, keys, and vocals. There is only so much sonic space in a mix and unfortunately that frequency range will be the first to go to make way for other instruments in the band. If you think about it the click/ slap of the bass drum is what you hear when you hear the song and the rest of the frequency is eaten up by bass guitar. Audix, shure, AKG. They all know this and adjust their frequency curve to taste of the music being played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Russ, the D6 is designed to sound clickish dude! The engineers who designed this kick mic has specifically selected a freq. range to highlight the attack of the beater. Either you hate this mic or love it.

Here's a comparison chart to show the differences between three popular kick mics. The red box respresents the low freq. of the bass drum or boominess. Notice how the curve at the low end of the D6's freq chart is sharper than the other two mics? That's the "punch" this mic give you right off the bat. If you look at the yellow box, this is what your objection is to the D6. Notice how the high freq range is longer and higher on the D6? Metal drummers LOVE this EQ range because most kick mics are not set up to capture this "attack" from the beater. Some say using the D6 mic makes the kick sound like it's triggered which is a positive plus for modern metal music!

You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

Well now I know what mic i'm getting when I get around to micing my kit!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Which one is that jordison?

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

get the audix if you want a quick rock sound

other wise get the akg
    Last edited by itchie; 06-24-2011 at 03:36 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm not a big fan of the click sound. I'll state that for the record. I do, however, understand the frequency range of music instruments.

User Info Menu

either D112 or the D6 i voted D112 over the D6 just for its all roundedness you can cut frequencies out but you cant add them afterwards so it depends on the application
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I wonder if there is going to be a clear winner? Anyone else have a favourite?

YouTube Channel:

User Info Menu

I use an Audix D 6... I like the non linear curve. If I don't want the "click" I can turn down the higher frequency peak or move the mic back towards the center of the drum
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

I'm a Shure man, myself. I've had experience with all of them and the Shure was the most consistent sounding, room to room. If you mount it just at the threshold of the port on the reso, or even at the air hole on the shell (if you don't have a ported head), you capture the wholeness of the drum plus the punch.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Definate of all definates. D112
    or Shure BETA 58. Surprise. try one.

User Info Menu

Heil PR 48... from the guy who brought you the talkbox- you know, Frampton made it famous! big fat diaphragm on that puppy.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPbizzle View Post
    Which one is that jordison?
    The Audix! It's not necessarily my taste to have a real clicky kick but it's a standard in today's metal to have a clicky kick.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

getting a sweet sound from using a Shure Beta52A internally 6-8 inches from the batter head and the subkick 3-4 inches from the res head...with tasteful compression

all the sound geeks love it