Thread: Any advice on Pro Co. Audio Snakes?

User Info Menu

Default Any advice on Pro Co. Audio Snakes?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 16 XLR input/4 TRS return Pro Co. Audio snake and I was wondering if anybody has used this particular brand?

Cost is about $300 USD and the length is 100'. Thanks in advance for any review or opinions!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any advice on Pro Co. Audio Snakes?

I use the exact one you posted to run from my tracking room to my control room. It seems fine. No problems with it, but I do not gig so I cannot comment on the build quality in relationship to live abuse.

User Info Menu

Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback.

User Info Menu

What on earth is that?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What on earth is that?
    Here's a cut and paste Russ:

Wiki- Audio Snake:

Quote-

"Used in the audio recording and sound reinforcement fields, an audio multicore cable (most commonly known as a snake cable or just a snake) is a cable which contains from 4 to 56 individual shielded pair balanced audio cables all housed by one rugged, heavy-duty common outer jacket. Each end of the multicore cable terminates in a tail, which contains either a patchbay for female XLR or 1/4" jacks or male plugs."

End Quote-

User Info Menu

So it's like one large cable tie? I don't get what it's for or does. I thought only mixer/interface has the mic inputs? I've tried looking it up before but never could find a clear answer(in terms I could understand) on them.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    So it's like one large cable tie? I don't get what it's for or does. I thought only mixer/interface has the mic inputs? I've tried looking it up before but never could find a clear answer(in terms I could understand) on them.
    Since you have your own studio back at the ranch Russ, this might help you visualize what an audio snake could be used for. In my case I would use it in a live situation since I have no sound proof studio.

The audio snake has a junction box (fan box) on one end and XLR/1/4" on the other end. This allows you to run mics, monitors and aux inputs from the stage/studio to the mixer/PA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a 16 XLR input/4 TRS return Pro Co. Audio snake and I was wondering if anybody has used this particular brand?

Cost is about $300 USD and the length is 100'. Thanks in advance for any review or opinions!
    Nice. The last time I bought a snake it was $300 for an 8 channel, 2 return 50'. Prices are way down.

User Info Menu

Russ, essentially, rather than run 50 separate cables from your mic and instruments all the way across the room and getting them tangled you plug everything into this snake and run 1 cable all the way across the room. Then plug the corresponding numbered xlr ends into your board. You then do not need instrument/mic cables that are hundreds of feet long either, as the snake takes care of the distance.

User Info Menu

It's basically an extension cord for all of your mics and speaker lines.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    It's basically an extension cord for all of your mics and speaker lines.
    NOW it makes sense. I was starting to really feel dumb, not understanding these explanations which were great and detailed, just escaping me for some reason. Didn't make any sense at all till you simplified it like that. Thanks be to you and everyone else! What I was doing before was if I needed extra space, I would actually connect one xlr cable to another's input on the opposite side. Eventually I replaced my short 8 and 12' cables with some more adequate 20's, using twist-tie's and hose circles to keep it neat. I have given some thought to spiraling the cables around my rack though, or even trying to send them through the insides of the tubes to make it seem like they aren't even there.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

is this for live or studio work?

im using a similar quality 16.4 channel multicore to get to my live room and then another 8 channel for the alternate side of the room

expect fails thrashing them live tho ...just a bit of maintenance is required
    Last edited by itchie; 06-30-2011 at 02:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    is this for live or studio work?

im using a similar quality 16.4 channel multicore to get to my live room and then another 8 channel for the alternate side of the room

expect fails thrashing them live tho ...just a bit of maintenance is required
    Live sound...probably go through many set-ups. I need to know if the strain relief will last on the Pro Co. snakes. From what I understand, the strain relief is where most snakes fail?

User Info Menu

thats sweet man! the outer jacket on most snakes are pretty tough ive seen. at concerts they usually get trampled on and are able to put up with the abuse.