Thread: Electronic kit for recording.

User Info Menu

Post Electronic kit for recording.

A friend of mine is starting a home studio, and instead of having to worry too much about sound-proofing, drum mics (and all the other hassle that comes with live drums) this early on, he's asked me for advice on electronic kits.

I don't know much when it comes to electronic kits, so figured I'd turn to you guys to help out if you can

He's looking for something fairly cheap (below £500/$800) with midi capabilities that'd allow him to sample + trigger and stuff (as I said, not so great on the electronic kits). Mesh heads would be ideal, but not really a huge issue.

So. Anybody got any advice or suggestions for him?
    Last edited by AidyTM; 06-26-2011 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electronic kit for recording.

Unfortunately, without spending significantly more than that, he will most likely not get the response or sound quality and distinction that he will want out of the cymbals. The drums you can make do with, as far as a cheap set goes, as long as what your playing isn't too technical to trigger correctly.

I have done great recordings with old cheaper all rubber-pad electric drums (no mesh) and my real cymbals, mic'd well.In fact the best home studio set up (in my opinion) is a high dollar Roland V-Drum kit with the high-end module, and all real studio quality cymbals if mic'd properly.

My suggestion is to look for a deal on a used higher end V-Drum set up with a good module, or just a good deal on an even better module by itself and then cheaper pad's. Especially if real cymbals aren't an option. The sound quality and distinction comes in the module. Upgrade pads as needed. It sucks to have really nice pads or mesh drums and a module that cant process them to there full potential.

(Remember, you can make a trigger with a speaker element, some hot glue and any surface you like. You can't get better sounds out of your module without buying a new module.)
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electronic kit for recording.

You don't want to use module sounds for recording. Get yourself a reliable entry level kit that supports MIDI, like a Yamaha DTXplorer, and hook it up to your computer. Then use one of the drumming software suites, like Superior Drummer, for your sounds. You can even get a used kit to save some cash. The important thing is that the triggers be reliable (so don't buy some crazy off-brand) and that the module supports MIDI. The sounds you get from these software suites put the drumming modules to shame.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^