Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading music.....

User Info Menu

Default Reading music.....

How many of us read music, I've been reading music since day one of my lessons. I find it fun and a challenge. I like the idea of being able to put my hands on a music book and being able to play it .
    Girl Drummers Rule....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reading music.....

The only time I read music for drums was when I played the bass drum in school, and I wasn't even the drummer. I played bells, but was put on the bass drum. That was easy to read because it was only the notes for the bass drum, but I am curious to know if I could read simple drum music for a kit. I just play by ear.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Played for decades now but never learned to read music. But then again I'm a retired newspaper reporter and editor and I never took typing. Go figure.
    A little late in the game but I kinda wish I'd done both now.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

I can read music. I started out playing trumpet in high school. I moved on to some tuba, baritone, very very little trombone, some french horn, then I switch to percussion. So I can read all that. I can also read tabs.

Sheet music may take a while to read again....I haven't done it in forever.

User Info Menu

I can read music, albeit very slowly and it takes a while for me to figure it out. I'm more confident with drum music, although I'm not quite at the point of being able to sight read perfectly yet!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff5550 View Post
    Played for decades now but never learned to read music. But then again I'm a retired newspaper reporter and editor and I never took typing. Go figure.
    A little late in the game but I kinda wish I'd done both now.
    Cliff, it's never too late to learn. I taught myself how to type a few years back and now I type correctly and "fast!"
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I started learning to read drum music back in 5th grade honors band. Then, jazz band in junior high thru high school. I'm 44 and still playing the drums, but haven't read much since school. I've been contemplating starting to take it up again for practice.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I can read drum notation, but I'm not very good at sight reading. I can read through most standards, and most rock charts, but I won't play the written fills or anything.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Yeah, reading fills is a beech! Reading single snare line stuff is relatively easy, been doing that since high school days, but reading multiple lines tests the brains of even great players. What's hard is reading one section where it's complex for the hands, easy for the feet and then switching it over, hands on autopilot, then start reading for the feet. Damn, that's hard.

Anyone here do tuned percussion by the way?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

If you're serious about doing this for a living the chances are that you're shooting yourself in the foot choosing to neglect learning to read . Ok , you maybe able to get by without having this skill , but one day the phone'll ring and you'll have to turn a gig down because you can't read - or if certain people know that you can't the phone may not ring at all.

User Info Menu

I read but only in school. Im good with snare and stuff but it takes me forever to figure out notes because I never learned.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Yesterday I decided to look online for some sort of 'music reading tutorial crash course' sort of thing. Spent 4 hours reading up on it, then looked at some sheet music and it was completely different?

Anyway, until I can afford lessons I doubt sheet music will be a huge inspiration/help to me.

User Info Menu

I started when in high school many ,many moons ago. Ted Reed syncopation was the text book. Now Iam back into since about a year ago, this time we are usin Luies Bellson which I call the worse case scenario since some of the rhytm phrases in that book will not be on a regular musical chart but I think the point of that book is to make you recognize the phrase no matter how it is written, also we use the rhytm encyclopedia, both of them are about sincopation. Syncopation is very challenging and keep me very busy. In Latin music everything is about syncopation.

User Info Menu

It was one of the first things I learned how to do, along with stick grip, and posture. I don't consider it entirely necessary if you're in a band that learns as they go, but if you're trying to get on an orchestra or a drumline- you better be able to. It's a good thing to learn, but the situation may or may not require you to ever use it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I read music in school..long long ago..and after almost 40yrs of not reading..I'm afraid most of it is lost somewhere in my grey matter..the only counting in time I do now is to set pace for walking with my wife so we can get our mileage timed right. Geeez that sounds like an old dude talking..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Being able to read can only make you better. Also, it sure beats the hell out of listening to a song 500 times trying to get that "I just can't tell what he's playing" part. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Being able to read can only make you better. Also, it sure beats the hell out of listening to a song 500 times trying to get that "I just can't tell what he's playing" part. Just sayin'.
    +1 gazillion

User Info Menu

Only learnt a little in the last few months prior to finishing up my lessons. It was interesting and fun. It added more structure to my rudiments, which was lovely. Other than that I play from the heart. I can listen to songs and just play with, I play by ear.

These days I would say musicians can benefit greatly by learning how to use Guitar Pro on the computer. In my last band, the rhythm guitarist would formulate the guitar and bass tracks and I would listen to that and come up with my own parts for the song. Where I didn't know how to add or change the parts, the Boss man would show me how to do this on the programme. Still don't have the complete hang of it but it really looks easy and I'm sure there are loads of help files.

It's just very convenient - especially if you practice every weekend and forgot parts of the song hahaha!
    Angikins

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drums65 View Post
    How many of us read music, I've been reading music since day one of my lessons. I find it fun and a challenge. I like the idea of being able to put my hands on a music book and being able to play it .
    Nothing wrong with playing by ear, but I think to make a complete rounded drummer, reading and writing drum material is essencial. Especially if you plan on teaching down the road. You know that when teaching, there will be a point in time when your student is going to ask you about sheet music. My teacher really did'nt want to mess with sheet music, but I pushed him on it and he responded. So now, I can read and write drum music to a point. I can do the basics but it takes me a few minutes to write down beats.

I'll pick it back up sometime and continue with it. It's very useful in the fact that if you come up with a beats, you can write them down for future use.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I also learned to read when I first took snare drum lessons, but when I joined a drum corps and later took drum set lessons, we didn't use sheet music. I agree it's a great skill to have and is necessary for certain situations, but it won't always help you learn a drum part. It's hard to find sheet music for drum parts for rock music and if you do find it, chances are it was transcribed by someone who was not the drummer who originally created the part and likely is not 100% accurate anyway.

2017 DW Design 6 piece Tobacco Burst
    Evans, Remo

2016 Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 piece Chrystal Ice
    Evans

2010 Tama Superstar 5 piece Birch BPG
    Evans, Aquarian

200? Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 piece Black and Silver Sparkle
    Evans

1980 Slingerland 7 piece Poplar/Maple White
    Evans

Yamaha DTX532k

Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Alessis Sample Pad

Tama SLP Black Brass snare

Tama SLP G Maple snare

Tama hardware and pedals
    DW5000 double bass pedal and high hat

Zildjian

13" New Beat High Hats
    14" New Beat High Hats
    14" A Custom High Hats
    6", 8", 10" Fast Splashes
    12" A Custom Splash
    15" A Custom Crash
    15" K Custom Dark Crash
    16" A Fast Crash
    17" A Custom Projection Crash
    18" A Custom Projection Crash
    18" A Rock Crash
    18" China
    18" A Medium Thin Crash
    19" A Rock Crash
    20" A Ride
    20" A Custom Ride(X2)

Miktek, Audix and Shure Mics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I also learned to read when I first took snare drum lessons, but when I joined a drum corps and later took drum set lessons, we didn't use sheet music. I agree it's a great skill to have and is necessary for certain situations, but it won't always help you learn a drum part. It's hard to find sheet music for drum parts for rock music and if you do find it, chances are it was transcribed by someone who was not the drummer who originally created the part and likely is not 100% accurate anyway.
    It depends on the transcriber. Modern Drummer had and still have some really great transcribers, Michael Bettine (I don't think he still transcribes for them now) handled a lot of prog drummer scores, and one current guy, Joe Bergamini, a prog drumming guy himself, author and educator, is a legend when it comes to transcribing properly. Also Michael Lauren from DCI is a pretty damn accurate transcriber. But you are right, I have come across transcriptions that are way, way wrong too.

User Info Menu

I can read percussion sheet music but never that great at kit sheet music. The closest I ever got to that was when I played quints for 4 years (started in 8th grade playing in high school band), and then my senior year I moved to snare when I became section leader of the drumline. But I wasn't that hot at it then, I'm good enough to get me by. It may take me a second but I'll get it.
    Live Well, Drum Well
    Pearl Vision SST Champagne Sparkle

User Info Menu

I learnt how to read it when I first started playing and getting lessons. I haven't really had to read any sheet music in ages though, not since finishing a music degree a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Imagine you had never learned to read words---everything in writing would be just jibberish. No books, road signs, advertising, etc. would make any sense. You could not teach yourself anything from written material. Life would be a lot harder and way less enriched. You could communicate because you learned to talk through imitation but your vocabulary would be very confined.

Knowing how to read music opens up limitless possibilities to teach yourself---anything. It's a mathematical system that doesn't change rules midstream. The more you do it, the better you get. You will move from reading individual notes to groups of notes that you will recognize immediately---ie: the jazz ride pattern. The same way you learned to read words=== individual letters are grouped in a specific way that you learn to recognize and understand. New groups of notes become easy to understand because of the time signature system---the trick is getting your body to physically execute what is written. That's where practicing pays off. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Oh. I've been reading music since the age of 5 from piano lessons. I look at a written piece of music and hear it in my head. Playing drums while sight-reading, not so much. I have to play it slowly at first and then bring it up to speed, depending on the difficulty of the piece and how many of those familiar groupings I see. But I can learn any beat, fill, independence phrase or ostinato, etc. because I can read. I add the feel and expression to create what I hope is enjoyable art, whether playing in a band or solo, the most satisfying aspect of playing any instrument IMHO.

It's not that hard, guys, and it will open up entire libraries of possibilities for you. No instructor necessary.

Peace out, m8's!

Strider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    "Knowing how to read music opens up limitless possibilities to teach yourself---anything. It's a mathematical system that doesn't change rules midstream. The more you do it, the better you get. You will move from reading individual notes to groups of notes that you will recognize immediately---ie: the jazz ride pattern. The same way you learned to read words=== individual letters are grouped in a specific way that you learn to recognize and understand. New groups of notes become easy to understand because of the time signature system---the trick is getting your body to physically execute what is written. That's where practicing pays off. Repetition, repetition, repetition....."

Strider
    Words of the wise, Strider, very well put, that's what I always try to impress on students. I get them all to read, whether doing simple charts and exercises to some brain-busting material (which challenges me as well, because I have to demonstrate it too). Also as a tutor, I can quickly scan over in their notes what we've done in the previous week or month and see what new thing we can tackle, such as time signatures, placing rudiments around the set, arrangements of tunes, shuffles, accent exercises, hand/foot co-ordination, etc. And for myself, well, because I still keep working on percussion, with a few percussion instruments there simply isn't the right instructor around to learn with, so I do have to get through some books and videos.