Thread: Mrs Smith - Cape Town

User Info Menu

Default Mrs Smith - Cape Town

A big hello from Angelique Smith!!

I'm just a happy-go-lucky drummer from friendly Cape Town and methinks that there aren't enough Souff Effricans () on this site. I'm making a special mention of DrumChat.com at the Cape Town Drummers Luncheon on 16 July at the Riverclub, Observatory, Cape Town. Drummers of all shapes, sizes and ages get together once in a while to chat about drums, drumming, drummers, more drums hahaha

If anybody from Cape Town sees this, please RSVP Sean Nunan to secure your spot at the Luncheon. Gonna be awesome, I'm sure.
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mrs Smith - Cape Town

'allo peeps, just letting you know that the Drummers Luncheon was a roaring success! Even won a Zildjian t-shirt! (hell yes!!!)

On a serious note, we had the pleasure of seeing two artists, Barry van Zyl and a 14 year old boy whose name I can not remember but he's in a band called Samson (not related to Bruce ****inson's band of old). This young fellow played at a few Nelson Mandela birthday concerts and played at this year's concert, too. He's technique is amazing and could easily slip into any death metal band he desires. To top it all off, he's amazingly mature and said that he wanted to learn from the rest of the drummers at the Luncheon. Needless to say I was impressed. The other guy was Barry van Zyl, a very successful South African making waves. Look him up, he's fantastic! He plays a variety of styles. Listening and watching him play will make you fall in love with drumming all over again. I was really impressed with our talent. I asked Sean Nunan's wife Cindy (Sean has his own drumming school and senior contributor to magazine SA Drums & Percussion; his wife Cindy controls his marketing, etc. very awesome lady) if this could perhaps turn out to be a quarterly event. I think she might take me up on this, would be great!

Hope all the people on DrumChat could do something similar - it is after all for us, by us!!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Wwwwhat was that? Hehe Bruce!!!! I'll call him Bruce from now on (if I ever do mention him again!)
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Smith View Post
    A big hello from Angelique Smith!!

I'm just a happy-go-lucky drummer from friendly Cape Town and methinks that there aren't enough Souff Effricans () on this site.

.....and I thought I was the only one to call you lot Seth Effrikans, lol....j/k....all is good, Mrs Smith!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Smith View Post
    'allo peeps, just letting you know that the Drummers Luncheon was a roaring success! Even won a Zildjian t-shirt! (hell yes!!!)

On a serious note, we had the pleasure of seeing two artists, Barry van Zyl and a 14 year old boy whose name I can not remember but he's in a band called Samson (not related to Bruce ****inson's band of old). This young fellow played at a few Nelson Mandela birthday concerts and played at this year's concert, too. He's technique is amazing and could easily slip into any death metal band he desires. To top it all off, he's amazingly mature and said that he wanted to learn from the rest of the drummers at the Luncheon. Needless to say I was impressed. The other guy was Barry van Zyl, a very successful South African making waves. Look him up, he's fantastic! He plays a variety of styles. Listening and watching him play will make you fall in love with drumming all over again. I was really impressed with our talent. I asked Sean Nunan's wife Cindy (Sean has his own drumming school and senior contributor to magazine SA Drums & Percussion; his wife Cindy controls his marketing, etc. very awesome lady) if this could perhaps turn out to be a quarterly event. I think she might take me up on this, would be great!

Hope all the people on DrumChat could do something similar - it is after all for us, by us!!
    Sounds like it turned out a really fun event, even if it was only for lunch. Totally awesome for you guys in SA, maybe word will spread and you'll get even more attention from other artists from other companies to come down and play.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Sounds like it must have been a great time Mrs. Smith! With my schedule, a drummer's luncheon would be a great idea. It wouldn't eat up a whole day, and I'd get to talk drums with other area drummers. Cool!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Awesome! Sounded like fun! How about some pics?

User Info Menu

Went to Sean Nunan's site (the drummers luncheon was his concept) and saw he didn't upload pics yet. You can go to his site and check out the pic from the previous lunch (seannunan.co.za)
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Not from ZA, but LOVE it there. Long term plan is to end up as a University Professor in either PTA or maybe Durban. Save me some droewors!

User Info Menu

Whoa! Another South African from Cape Town! Are you still active on here Mrs. Smith?

User Info Menu

Hey, Audiopat. She's not as frequent as some of us. She was on here a few weeks ago. She hangs out in the hand drum area.

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Signature here

Angikins Guest

Hey Bish, I'm back now but having a username issue at the moment. Once Mrs_Smith account is back on I'll have the Angikins one deleted. Will get in touch with Audiopat sometime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Angikins View Post
    Hey Bish, I'm back now but having a username issue at the moment. Once Mrs_Smith account is back on I'll have the Angikins one deleted. Will get in touch with Audiopat sometime.
    I did notice that a while back.

Glad to have you resurface. Figured with the new drum set you were off having too much fun....who wouldn't, right?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Haha, it was awesome yes. Glad to be back
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Hey Angie, I see you have your old Mrs. Smith account back that is great. Welcome back

User Info Menu

Hey dudes and dudettes

What a weird time we live in, with the unseen deadly force still doing its thang.

I've been getting more involved in drumming again and I'm super excited for the future. My friend Cuan and I have a little band although it's early days and we're in two different suburbs - I'm in Kenwyn and he's in Fish Hoek. We don't see each other often so we rely on phone calls to catch up. When I get a moment I like to visit Paul Bothner Music in Claremont. Mr Staphord Samaai is in charge of the Drum Area and he's got a little pretty setup there, where he records and uploads to his Youtube channel. He does interviews with other drummers on there.
    It's hectic being a working mother and still making time for drumming. It's so necessary!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Great to see you again Angie and so glad to hear you're drumming again. I know it can be hard to work everything in, especially as a mother.

User Info Menu

Great to hear and welcome back.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Angie, clear some space in your PM's.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS