Thread: Upgrading my Kit

User Info Menu

Default Upgrading my Kit

Hi
    For the past year I've had a cheap budget kit (£170). It was fine to learn the basics and everything on but now I feel I want something with a bit more 'oomph'. The skins on my kit have worn out, the cymbals...aren't cymbals ( ) and my bass drum pedal squeaks like a mouse or something
    So a few days ago I got my parents to drive me and my brother up to a big music shop in Doncaster. We let my brother go look at all the pretty guitars whilst we asked the shop keeper about drums around the Export level. He reccomended a Mapex M Birch Pro (I think). He gave us a quick demenstration of the hardware and tapped the bass drum (which sounded like a cannon ) and I have to say I feel like I'm sold on it.
    The basic kit is £550. There's an awesome finish for an extra £50 (I really like it, it's a blue burst style finish). Plus, each kit has a free 10" tom that comes with it! So a six piece kit for £600. They were also doing a deal on cymbals - I think it was a ZBT 4 pack, only £100 with a new kit, good savings. And what's more, the assistant said they might buy my old kit to sell to some of the people who go there and have lessons - and he said he might do it for £100!
    Effectively, that's £600 for a kit with quite a bit of freebies. But before I decide whether or not I should fully go for it, I just want to hear you friendly folks advice on this kit. Do you have any experience with it? Do you think this is a good deal?
    Thanks! E.T.F

User Info Menu

I would say go for it. I like ZBT's and u will find them more satisfying. (even though they are the mid/low range zildjans) And if you like the sound of the mapex i say go for it. You will enjoy it more you sound like you are already and from my quick brain currency conversion that is a great deal your getting!...
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Fro my expericne, I like the Mapex stuff - I am interested in buying the same kit that you are looking atr - just don't have the cash for it. As for the cymbals - I am using ZBT's at my church - I don't really like them myself - I find them dull. We also have Sabian pro series splash that sound a million times better. So I would suggest maybe going to the ZXT or ZHT Zildjian pack if they'de let you for the difference betweent he sets.

That's what I think anyway. BTW I have found the Mapx stuff to be quite good quality, especially for the price, I find them an underrated kit/brand.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

ZXts are alot better.
    BUt when your use to cymbols you refuse to say exist. ZBTs sound great. And. There half the price of ZXT's.(about)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Well in AUD there is a $280 price difference from Billy Hyde, but for cymbals that sound a ton better. If you've got the time to wait, it's worth saving that bit extra and getting the better item. On the whole, it's not that much money though, say like the difference between Planet Z and ZHT ($620 more). Of course, Planet Z cymbals suck and ZHT are one of the best packages out there so, it's no wonder.

Another option is the Sabian B8's - I personally think they sound better than the ZBT's aswell. One of the best cymbal's I ever had the fortune to play was a Paiste 802 - it had one of the best sounds to it. Just the right amount of crash and sustain, bright and colourful for lighter rock and jazz styles, but loud and heavy enough to go with even heavy metal, it was great. Loved using that cymbal.

Speaking of Zldjians though, anyone seen these?

http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/produc...ProductID=2281
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Ok, thanks for the feedback.
    To be honest, I aint that bothered by the quality of the cymbals. Believe me, after listening to what I've had for a year that are supposedly cymbals, anything else would be music to my ears Besides, the deal only covers this pack of ZBT's, and the ZXT's were about £270. I'd have to put in another £170 to get them ZXT's and if I think that if I'm gonna get them I'll do that at another time.
    So, I guess I'll go for it then. Now I just need the cash for it Ah well, good things come to those who wait!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

the zbt will be fine till you advance in your playing enuff to require pro cymbals. imo the zxt dont sound that much better than the zbt, just shinier and louder. the tone is still aweful. as for the m-birch, if it is built like the m-pro maple it will an excellent kit that will sound good and last you until you are ready for a high dollar kit.

User Info Menu

ZBT's have the play. ZXT's add the sound to the play. And then you start getting even more refined when you select individual cybmals.

I think its the past 302's that are equivelent to ZBT's. I use to play on them. We got a good sound out of them on our demo recordings.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

When I was doing the research for my kit purchase, I considered the Mapex kit. I thought it was a pretty good quality (although I prefer the sound of maple shells - to each their own). I started looking for a set with wood graining, though, and couldn't get the Mapex at the price that I could get the Gretsch (also good quality), so that knocked it out of the running for me. Sounds like you've got a sweetheart of a deal there, though. I'd say go for it whenever you can.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!