Thread: Can you have two drum tutors

User Info Menu

Default Can you have two drum tutors

Could it work having two seperate drum instructors,or would it be confusing?
    My son is studying towards his Rockschool grade 8,which he will hopefully be taking at the end of the year.While the teacher he is currently under is good at teaching theory I would like him to see another teacher I know of to help him to express himself more on the kit.
    My wife says we should just wait until after he has taken the exam,because it might confuse him hearing two different opinions.
    Has anyone got any opinions or experience that they could share.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by buster; 06-28-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Wrong title

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can you have two drum tutors

I have four drum teachers, it stops people from being flippant to other genres and ideas behind playing the kit. Unless you're a gifted virtuoso who will dominate one genres undoubtedly then you have to aim towards being jack of all trades, more than one teacher spreads eclecticism!

You just have to make sure they don't actually contradict each other in facts and that they don't slate the other teacher for doing one thing or another.

If the teacher knows there's also more than just him then he'll try and be a better teacher just incase your son in the future is only allowed one teacher, he won't want the sack! =D

User Info Menu

Two teachers can be good and bad.

The bad:
    More expensive
    Tougher scheduling

The good:
    Each teacher could show you a different style they specialize in
    More attention and improvement potential

It's more or less a tradeoff. If you feel like it would benefit you more to balance between two, if one will teach something the other won't, then go for it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Buster, there are plenty of teachers out there that are good at teaching both theory and drumset. You could also just find the right one rather than taking on the added expense of another one.
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!