Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquarian Super Kick II

User Info Menu

Default Aquarian Super Kick II

I finally ripped my stock Gretsch bass batter head and had to pick up a new one. Wow did I ever get a good find! My friend Red suggested I get the Aquarian Super Kick II double package including the batter head and resonant head for $78.60, but being low on cash I went with just the batter for $45.00.
    This is an awesome head though... Each kick sounds like thunder, I'm not even sure if I'm used to it yet lol. The resonant head for the front of the bass drum included an extra muffling ring inside and a woofer on the left to give that heavy, flat, and loud tone. I do wish I had that extra few bucks to get the full package, but I'm certainly not dissapointed in my product of choice.
    Buy this head, broaden your horizons, it's definately worth the money.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Thanks for the endorsement. I'll be sure and check it out. BTW, which Gretsch kit do you have?

User Info Menu

i used to use the superkick 2 but switched to the single ply superkick 1. im just into a little more open sound right now, besides i dont hit them that hard. but yeah, they are great heads.i had the 2 ply on for 2 years and had no problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Thanks for the endorsement. I'll be sure and check it out. BTW, which Gretsch kit do you have?
    I bought the Catalina birch 5 piece with 10", 12", and 14" toms. It's very nice, but the snare is a little iffy.

User Info Menu

I just bought the Gretsch Catalina maple. 6 piece because they threw in a 16X16 to go with the 10X8, 12X10, and the 14X14. My snare is a 14X6, and I love the sound. Really started thinking seriously about the kit when I heard the snare at my local music store.

I know I've still got a bit of fine tuning to do, but I'm going to enjoy it "as is" for the moment (just got it set up tonight). I will keep the Aquarian Super Kick II in mind.

User Info Menu

Depending on the tone you want to get out of your toms, Pastor Bob, I found the way to reduce the reduce the resonance of your toms with your snare is to completely tighten their bottom heads and keep the batter heads really loose. This delivers a srong flat tone and I think gives out the best sound for the drums.
    I can't speak for the maple set necessarily, but without fine tuning your bottom heads as well, you'll probably recieve a really "bouncy", as I call it, tone or a really long response with hit. So keep those bottom heads in mind, my greatest advice

User Info Menu

Thanks, 32HB. I'll keep it in mind. Wasn't sure if I wanted to go looser or tighter with the resonant heads, so I'll try the tighter first. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

i tune my top tom heads evenly, just a turn or so past a wrinkle. then i tune the bottom heads one third in pitch higher than the top.

User Info Menu

i could have told u that..i use the superkick II as well..and it sounds awesome.
    Last edited by drummer; 06-05-2007 at 10:53 PM.

User Info Menu

hey pastor_bob, tell me how the tuning goes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    hey pastor_bob, tell me how the tuning goes.
    Lafirin, I may be beoming a tuning fool, but I really am enjoying the process, and I'm learning a lot in the process. I'm even thinking about re-tuning by starter kit, just to see what I've really learned about tuning. Want to see if i can make it sound any better. Maybe it's the challenge of the thing! But, then, it's all good!

One thing I've learned about life, is that no matter what you have to do, find the fun. There's always a fun way to do things, even if it's just a routine thing. Find the fun, and life just gets better!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

good idea bob! Its just the effort it takes to get there, but its probably well worth it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    good idea bob! Its just the effort it takes to get there, but its probably well worth it
    Yeah, learning's always an effort, but then a lot of times we learn things without even know it. The trick is to make it fun. Think about your favorite classes in school. It's usually because it's something that you already enjoy (mine was science - couldn't get enough!), or it's because the teacher made it fun! When it's fun, the effort is easy! Find the fun, baby!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Super Kick user here too!

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that the spare batter head that my friend included when I bought the kit is a superkick II, it has an evans on it now... forgot which one... think I should try the aquarian?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Well, after my Aquarian head ripped so easily and I found the Evans EMAD, I would have to suggest that rather then the Superkick. I think it just sounds better altogether.

User Info Menu

perhaps I should just stick with the Evans then...
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Whatever fits your style best, man.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Super Kick II

superkick 2 is good for extreme metal when you need a deadened bass drum sound, but traditional rock i dont know. i was so used to emad2's that when i compared these two personally, i couldnt get the same fullness that i got with previous heads. its a good head, but it didnt work well on my drums

User Info Menu

SKII is awesome on my Birch kit..on the maples..I will letcha kno -Les

insane-asylum Guest

yeah i got referred to thos heads i heard they were great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by insane-asylum View Post
    yeah i got referred to thos heads i heard they were great
    They are.
    -Les

User Info Menu

Yes, I completely agree, as well.

Aquarian SKII - FTW
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

I have used emad the remo powersonic and have found the superkick 11 to be the best to my liking as I can get it to what ever sound I want . Nuff Said

User Info Menu

I've heard a lot of good things about the Super Kick but haven't tried it yet...sounds great though!