Thread: Snare drum advice

User Info Menu

Question Snare drum advice

Hello one and all!

I suspect that this question may have been asked many times but I would like to obtain some advice from the good people of DC on the subject of snare choice.

I do not have the luxury of purchasing a number of different snares for the varying applications I play. Therefore I'm looking for a solid all rounder that:

1. Can be used for rock both modern and classic.
    2. Can be used in the church setting - this will mean it will require some sensitivity at lower volumes.
    3. An ability to tune in some crack and pop sounds for more funkier sounds.
    4. An ability to tune in warmer tones when needed.

As you can see I'm probably trying to find something that possibly doesn't really exist so I'm sure there will be some compromise on some points.

My budget isn't much - around the £200-250 mark but I'm looking at the second hand market which I think will get me a quality drum.

My research so far has indicated something in the Black Panther range which I have seen come on the used market for prices I can afford. The video below demo's the new 2010 range:

Based on this video, my stand outs are either the Black Widow or the Panther. However, I am very much open to other models and brands.

So, over to you...
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum advice

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Hello one and all!

I suspect that this question may have been asked many times but I would like to obtain some advice from the good people of DC on the subject of snare choice.

I do not have the luxury of purchasing a number of different snares for the varying applications I play. Therefore I'm looking for a solid all rounder that:

2. Can be used in the church setting - this will mean it will require some sensitivity at lower volumes.

As you can see I'm probably trying to find something that possibly doesn't really exist so I'm sure there will be some compromise on some points.

My budget isn't much - around the £200-250 mark but I'm looking at the second hand market which I think will get me a quality drum.

My research so far has indicated something in the Black Panther range which I have seen come on the used market for prices I can afford. The video below demo's the new 2010 range:

Based on this video, my stand outs are either the Black Widow or the Panther. However, I am very much open to other models and brands.

So, over to you...
    Hello BFD! Here's a second hand 6.5x14" Mapex Birds Eye Maple snare I found for £175.

In my humble opinion it has everything you are looking for:

User Info Menu

3 words,Ludwig Black Beauty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post

I'll second that. I've used them (in my case, the Super Sensitive) in big band jazz, small un-amped trio, and straight ahead rock&roll.

The best snare drum ever made.

The downside, they are not cheap.

User Info Menu

Another option, although not super cheap and not that common used, is the Tama 5x14 Stewart Copeland Signature Chrome over Brass snare. I have one of these and like the Ludwig BB it can be used for anything, but it's half the price or less.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Way out of his price range in the UK considering they're ~$600USD in the states where they're made.

Of the two that the OP mentioned, I love sound clips of the Panther on Mapex's site.

I might look into one as a more affordable thick shelled metal drum as opposed to N&C's Alloy Classics, or a Dunnett.

User Info Menu

£200-250 = $321-400 US dollar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    £200-250 = $321-400 US dollar
    True but that doesn't always translate the same on the street. It's not as cut and dry as that. Someone pointed that out to me on an earlier thread.

Just as an example, I just found a new Ludwig BB new on the UK Ebay site for £548.00. That's a lot more than the $600 that you can buy that drum for in the States.
    Last edited by Screwy; 06-30-2011 at 01:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I can speak up for Pearl Ian Paice Signature. Very under-rated, its like a Ludwig Supraphonic only half the price. Great price point. But I also like all things Ludwig ......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Screwy View Post
    True but that doesn't always translate the same on the street. It's not as cut and dry as that. Someone pointed that out to me on an earlier thread.

Just as an example, I just found a new Ludwig BB new on the UK Ebay site for £548.00. That's a lot more than the $600 that you can buy that drum for in the States.
    You misunderstood my point. £200-250 = $321-400 is the conversion rate from British pounds to US dollars. I posted what the budget is for this particular purchase so those of us in the U.S. know how much the budget is. People are suggesting snare drums that cost well above £250.

User Info Menu

Brass, aluminum, and maple come to mind. Probably a 5 or 5 1/2 inch depth for sensitivity. Buying used is a good way to stretch your budged. I don't know what the market is like in the UK, but you might be able to find a used Ludwig Supraphonic in your range. Barring that, a Ludwig Acrolite. Pearl sensitone: aluminum or brass, but not steel. These are all pretty ubiquitous on the used market in the States. A used Black Panther would be pretty sweet, just stay away from any of the steel models. Whenever possible, try before you buy. And, bring a drum key to see if it has the tuning range you need to accomodate your needs. Happy hunting.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're interested in a general use workhorse snare. For that, the Ludwig Supraphonic 402 comes to mind and gets my vote(if you can get a good price on it, if not try an acrolite). If you prefer a wood shell, look for a Slingerland Radio King.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

ThePloughman Guest

Ludwig Acrolite, used. Any era.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice so far - very helpful!

The UK market for Black Beauties is very strong which keeps prices beyond my current reach. That would be an awesome drum to own!

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'm taking my time on this one and will be looking to try out plenty of snares in drum shops over the coming months before deciding on a model to hunt on the used/ex-demo market.

User Info Menu

granted the black beauty is pricey but they can be bought used in great condition in the mid 400 range. im still shopping for one. i will second the black panther which ive demo'd and like, not to mention very pretty.

User Info Menu

granted the black beauty is pricey but they can be bought used in great condition in the mid 400 range. im still shopping for one. i will second the black panther which ive demo'd and like, not to mention very pretty.
    Thanks Kyle for your thoughts. Which Black Panther model are you referring to?

The more I listen to the sounds files on the Mapex website the more I love the Black Widow. I need to see if I can try some snares out I think.

Does anyone use/used the Black Widow at all that could provide a review?

User Info Menu

Pork Pie Big BOB. The shell used for it has BEATEN the Black Beauty in blind listening tests before, and it's about 1/3 the price.

I have one, and I adore everything about it.

EDIT: I should note that I went into this purchase with about $400USD in my pocket. I was looking at one of the Panthers, maybe a second hand Beauty or a Black Magic. I walked out with a BOB because it sounded amazing and I couldn't see why I'd want to spend any more on a drum that didn't sound better.

User Info Menu

sometimes the snare picks you. case in point i picked up a 10 lug brass piccolo for 50 bucks mint condition and i just love the damn thing. it scares dogs and makes kids cry though.

User Info Menu

sometimes the snare picks you. case in point i picked up a 10 lug brass piccolo for 50 bucks mint condition and i just love the damn thing. it scares dogs and makes kids cry though.
    Sounds perfect!

User Info Menu

I'll second any Ludwig Supraphonic or Acrolite recomandations, but will also look at Ludwigs Stainless Black Magic's also. Kinda close to Supraphonics, they have great sound in all ranges. It will be my next snare......

I currently own a Blue/Olive badge 14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic. Exellent snare, with tons of tunability. The 14x6.5 Supras have more indepth tone but the one I have gets it done. exellent snare. Scored it off the Bay for around $180. It was missing the tone control. Got one of those for around $25 brand new.

Supras on the Bay go for around $400 to $600 for the 14x6.5, $200 range for the 14x5's used.

Acrolites are anywhere from $150 to $200 range used.

S.S. Black Magic's 14x 6.5 are $300 up new, and not many used for sale. Tje 14x5 model is in the upper $200 range new.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

What do old radiokings run for in the UK?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Pork Pie Big BOB. The shell used for it has BEATEN the Black Beauty in blind listening tests before, and it's about 1/3 the price.

I have one, and I adore everything about it.

EDIT: I should note that I went into this purchase with about $400USD in my pocket. I was looking at one of the Panthers, maybe a second hand Beauty or a Black Magic. I walked out with a BOB because it sounded amazing and I couldn't see why I'd want to spend any more on a drum that didn't sound better.

Does it have the tuning range of a Black Beauty? Probably not.

In my traveling days, I saw Slingerland and Rogers sets with Supras as the snare drum, and BB's if they could get them, (although I liked the Dynasonic when I had my Rogers, it took more muffling to get rid of the ring from the rim shots). Also more than a few with Speed Kings.

I have 2 Ludwig BB SS's. I played on a lot of different drum sets over many years, and have met more drummers that have told me they wished they had a BB for their set, including a few that were sponsored by other companys, that played with Supras, or BB's.

Granted that the BB SS's are not for everyone. They can be touchy, and some don't like that.

All in all, I've played on virtually every "name" snare drum that has come out in the last 40 years, and I'll take my BB SS over any of them.

User Info Menu

Ludwig Acrolyte. Works for just abut everything imo. Good drum and cheap.

User Info Menu

Ludwig Acrolite gets my vote as well.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I had a Ludwig 400 for many years as my "Any gig, workhorse," snare. Then it got stolen, I needed a replcement fast as I was going away on a cruise, Local shops didn't have a Ludwig. I bought a 10 lug Pearl Sensitone. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference and it was maybe 1/3rd the price.

Andy